The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Why the French Hate Us by Campbell Mattinson updated-ta sue

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

Why the French Hate Us by Campbell Mattinson updated-ta sue

by Mark Kogos » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:38 pm

Since arrving on the forum, I have seen an encouraging interest in the wines produced down under in addition to the gems of the Old World ( I am still getting over reading the wonderful DRC 05 write up, knowing I will never be able to track any of them down let alone afford them in our glorious land of excess taxation). It only seems fair therefore to share details on one of the best books on Australian wine to come out in years. "Why the French Hate Us" by Campbell Mattinson is a glorious romp through the vineyards of Australia. Hunter S Thompson may have passed away but have no fear, there is a new champion of Gonzo journalism alive and well striding through the hills and valleys of the sun burnt land with a bottle of red firmly grasped in his right hand.

Campbell has taken it upon himself to address the charge that Australia is only capable of producing industralised wine, a common insult flung at Australian wine by the French hence the title. In his beat up old car he has driven across the country tracking down and visiting a vast majority of those passionate winemakers who strive to produce that little bit extra. A must read for anyone vaguely interested in Australian wine, ok I skimmed the last few pages but in the book he truly has written up all the leading lights down under. For me it was most interesting to read just how many of my favourite wineries had gone biodynamic, something I had always thought was a bit blue faced howling at the moon. Enjoy, it is still available somewhere.

[Name updated care of one kind NZ reviewer. Still a great little book and as they say in the Castle, "It goes straight to the Pool Room".]
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Why the French Hate Us by Campbell Mattinson updated-ta sue

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:06 am

Thanks Mark, maybe I can persuade local library to bring in a copy. They have a great wine book selection.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:09 pm

Mark Kogos wrote:Enjoy, it is still available somewhere.

Mark, is this a new book or an out of print one?
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:34 pm

Peter May wrote:
Mark Kogos wrote:Enjoy, it is still available somewhere.

Mark, is this a new book or an out of print one?

It came out last year and I checked before posting the write up that it is still available on the web. Work was so hard last year, I virtually stopped reading. It was the one book that gave me any pleasure over that period. Not only does he do an indepth write up of a selection of the top vineyards, he also gives a selection of half a dozen top wines from that producer over the last 2-7 years.
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:25 pm

amazon.co.uk have it at £9.89. Its on my wishlist now.