The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Champagne Heidsieck Dry Monopole 1966 'Reserved For England'

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tony Gard

Rank

Just got here

Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:41 pm

Champagne Heidsieck Dry Monopole 1966 'Reserved For England'

by Tony Gard » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:35 pm

Hi folks,

First post, I'm from Durham, UK.

Yesterday, whilst clearing my deceased father-in-law's house, my wife came across this bottle of champagne. We know nothing about the subject so I am hoping somebody here will be able to help us.

An internet search has revealed a few titbits of information, but we are unsure how relevant it is to this bottle we now have. Any help would be much appreciated.

So far we have found these links and here is a photo of the actual bottle:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 52188.html

http://www.sothebys.com/app/live/lot/Lo ... t_id=3QLJX

Many thanks,
Tony.
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

Re: Champagne Heidsieck Dry Monopole 1966 'Reserved For England'

by Steve Slatcher » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:00 pm

Well it is clearly not the same as the bottle sold by Southerby's - the main label is not the same shape. Probably a fake.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:11 pm

As Steve said, the wine in your picture is not the same as the one in the Sotherbys photo. The neck foil says 'Gold Top' on the Sotherby's photo.

But I am puzzled by the newspaper story that said that "12 bottles of 1966 Heidsieck Dry Monopole, produced specially for the England World Cup squad"

If the bottle was produced specially then why does it not mention specifically the World Cup squad? I cannot believe that a Champagne house would make just 12 bottles of a vintage Champagne -- whereas specially labelling a wine is a quite different,and easy matter and commonly done.

'Reserved for England' was a fairly common designation on Champagne bottles before and following WWII, denoting a different dosage (style of wine) designed for that particular market.

I am assuming you want to know how valuable your bottle is.

Since it is not apparently the same as the special world cup wine, then it is just an old champagne and what it is worth will depend very much on who is interested in buying it. And that will depend on how well the wine has been kept.
no avatar
User

Tony Gard

Rank

Just got here

by Tony Gard » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:30 pm

Many thanks for your replies.

Not really sure how it's been kept other than it was found upright in a kitchen cupboard. I agree it differs from the World Cup 66 champagne.

We believe he was given it as part of a retirement gift from Union Carbide in 1982.

Still curious as to it's value and it's taste.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:44 pm

Tony
Welcome!
I can't help much on the champagne, but can offer a warm welcome.
Durham seemed a little thin on decent wine merchants when we visited - the Oddbins was tiny from recollection and barring Giovanni's Enoteca (I recall the uphill walk when we visited, but interesting selection), perhaps Waitrose seemed the next best bet. Did we miss any good merchants?
regards
Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:17 am

Tony Gard wrote:
Still curious as to it's value and it's taste.

If it has been kept upright in a kitchen cupboard for 25 years then I'd suggest it has little value except as a curiosity. Although there are some people in the UK who buy very old wines for tastings, I'll send you a message via this board with a couple of names.

Its taste -- if it should still be drinkable which is improbable -- will be of old Champagne, the colour will be dark yellow and the taste biscuity. Old Champagne is a delight to connoisseurs of old Champagne.
no avatar
User

Tony Gard

Rank

Just got here

by Tony Gard » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:59 am

Many thanks for your information, Peter. How would the bottle have been best kept? I've noticed it's no more than £15-00 a bottle at Tescos these days, but was wondering if '66 was a good year and whether it was regarded as a good champagne back then?

I've just passed your views on to my wife and she's suggested we crack it open at the funeral next week and share ( if drinkable) between the family.

Thanks again.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:51 am

Tony Gard wrote:Still curious as to it's value and it's taste.

Tony, I can't comment about the taste, other than to note that older Champagnes gain richness up to a point, them merely turn "tired."

Best bet for comparative pricing is to search for it at http://www.wine-searcher.com
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:19 am

Tony Gard wrote:I've just passed your views on to my wife and she's suggested we crack it open at the funeral next week and share ( if drinkable) between the family.

Exactly the right idea.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:23 am

David M. Bueker wrote:
Tony Gard wrote:I've just passed your views on to my wife and she's suggested we crack it open at the funeral next week and share ( if drinkable) between the family.

Exactly the right idea.

Ditto!
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:05 pm

Tony Gard wrote:Many thanks for your information, Peter. How would the bottle have been best kept? I've noticed it's no more than £15-00 a bottle at Tescos these days, but was wondering if '66 was a good year and whether it was regarded as a good champagne back then?

I think the wine you are seeing at £15 is the non-vintage, which is made from a blend of vintages to maintain a standard house style.

In specially good vintages Champagne houses sometimes make a vintage wine, i.e. wholly from grapes picked that year and it costs more than the standard NV.

As to how the bottle should be best kept. It shouldn't. It's a 40 year old wine, it shouldn't have been kept that long. Suggest you contact Chris regarding the 66 vintage.

Champagne houses, and many others, will tell you that Champagne is ready to drink the moment it is released from the winery and that it will not improve by keeping.

However it does change with keeping and it is a personal taste whether one considers that an improvement. I do, and always keep Champage for at least 6 months before drinking and up to 5 years in a cool dark place and on their side, but I wouldn't dream of keeping one 25 years :)

Open it, but I suggest you have that £15 bottle from Tescos as a back up.

Come back here and let us know what you think.
no avatar
User

Alan Gardner

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:41 pm

Toronto

by Alan Gardner » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:36 am

There is an old 'trick' to help an old Champagne appear palatable and it has worked for me.
Buy the new bottle at £15 and then pour 'half a glass' of the old wine. Then top up with the newer Champagne.
This will give some freshness yet still give some 'memory' of the older wine. I did this recently for a 1959 Champagne and it seemed to work.
HOWEVER, the 59 had lost all of its bubbles (as the 66 will almost certainly have done) but still had a gold (as compared with brown) colour. If the wine is definitely brown then it's probably past helping.
The 'half-a-glass' is flexible. You might prefer less of the old if it is even darker in colour. I used 50% as then everybody got to taste the resulting blend.