The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Oregon vs. NZ, two pinots

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Oregon vs. NZ, two pinots

by Jenise » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:29 pm

2006 Wildaire pinot noir, Willamette
Medium red hue, slightly cloudy, indistinct mild berry fruit and whatever else all wrapped in a milky taste that blunts puts an annoying barrier between your taste buds and the brighter wine it should be. Have found this in other Oregon pinots before, namely a Scott Paul Le Paulee. We were too bored to finish the bottle.

For comparison, we drank:

2006 Amisfield pinot noir, Central Otago, NZ
On the first night, there was no flavor here; no nose, nothing on the palate. We left it to open up overnight, then, which is did handsomely: bright dark red raspberry fruit with spice and an interesting herb streak that at first impressed as tarragon and then segued into separate flavors of black licorice and thyme. In fact each pour tasted a little different from the last and each seemed better; excellent wine.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Oregon vs. NZ, two pinots

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:42 pm

Has that milky taste ever gone away overnight?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:00 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Has that milky taste ever gone away overnight?

No, not in my experience, quite the opposite. There may have been some brighter more complex flavors initially, but they're quickly overtaken and, eventually, obliterated.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:15 pm

Jenise wrote:

No, not in my experience, quite the opposite. There may have been some brighter more complex flavors initially, but they're quickly overtaken and, eventually, obliterated.

Is it an oak thing? This is something you have noticed in multiple vintages?

Jason
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:34 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:Is it an oak thing?

Jason, when I hear milky, I immediately think malolactic fermentation - gone wrong.
Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:16 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:
Jenise wrote:

Is it an oak thing? This is something you have noticed in multiple vintages?

Jason

This was my first vintage with this wine, ditto the Scott Paul I refer to. The flavor was very malolactic, but there was that cloudiness (not excessive, just more so than typical). It's a deadening of flavor that occurs similarly in wines that under a bit of secondary fermentation, but there was no fizz whatsoever. It's probably just a coincidence that my only other recent experience with a problem like this was from the same little viticultural area.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:17 am

Don't rule out the La Paulees completely - they can be quite good. Have you tried the 2005?
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:26 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:Don't rule out the La Paulees completely - they can be quite good. Have you tried the 2005?

Oh, I didn't. I owned two bottles which I purchased after tasting at Scott's place there in Carlton. Trouble is, a year passed between our opening the two bottles we owned, so we couldn't be sure if the second one (that had the milky problem) was flawed or if that's just the way the wine progressed. :(
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:29 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:Don't rule out the La Paulees completely - they can be quite good. Have you tried the 2005?

Oh and re the 05, yes. My problem bottle was the 05--here's the TN I posted at the time: 2005 Scott Paul Winery "La Paulee" Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley
We bought two bottles of this and I remember how lovely the first bottle, consumed during The Month of Living Pinotously that followed the trip, was. Very complex in a feminine way with light fruit and a lot of tomato and leafy things. Not now. Currently the wine is bigger and simpler with a strong malolactic presence that I found unpleasant, plus a very salty midpalate and finish. I expected both to back down and reveal the wine I remember during the course of drinking it, but neither did. This is not what I hope for from pinot noir.