The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two Rhones and a Claret

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: Two Rhones and a Claret

by Bill Spohn » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:20 am

Notes on some bottles from last week:

1997 Dom. Remizierres Crozes Hermitage Cuvee Christophe – I’d had the 96 and wanted to compare. This wine was showing the colour, not to mention a nose of mature Burgundy, was elegant with good length and only went back to the Rhone at the end, lacking the Burgundian polish. Fully mature now but should hold a bit. More mature than the last bottle I tried in November 2007

1997 Dom. Coursodon St. Joseph La Sensonne – one that turned up in my recent cellar search/reconstruction – a whole case of Rhone I hadn’t looked at since purchase. A cork was pulled with some trepidation, but there was no worry. Dark wine with plum and leather notes in the nose along with a hint of nutmeg, ending with soft tannin, good fruit and clean acidity. Glad this one turned up as it will be in prime time for the next few years (if it lasts that long!).

1995 Ch. Deyrem Valentin - this Margaux cru bourgeois got a tough review on release, cited as offering too much acidity and tannin. Well the good news is that this has all resolved and fallen into place, there was decent fruit under it all, and it is now a very presentable if modest but enjoyable claret that ends with a sort of chalky feel in the mouth. Uncorked to commemorate the death of Rumpole creator John Mortimer, in place of the Ch. Fleet Street, Ch. Thames Embankment or Pommeroy's Very Ordinary that would have been appropriate but for which I searched but found not among my bottles.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Two Rhones and a Claret

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:42 pm

I am certain Rumpole would have approved of your choice.
Decisions are made by those who show up