The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 di Maio Norante Contado Aglianico, Molise (Italy)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

WTN: 2005 di Maio Norante Contado Aglianico, Molise (Italy)

by Joe Moryl » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:05 pm

Part of my recent attempts to understand some of the more obscure but worthy grapes of Europe. After my recent poking around in Portugal, I've moved over to Italy to investigate some Aglianico.

Quite dark, but some light bricking/orange present. Not much going on with the nose: lightly spicy with a lifted VA hint. Pretty chunky on the palate, with dark cherry/Robitussin fruit submerged in some powdered lava rock. Hints of tar and black tea, substantial tannins. Not globby, as there is a nice acidity to balance it all. I don't pick up the oak that is sometimes mentioned in connection with this wine. Fairly nice finish. Might increase in complexity with time (as it does over 2+ hours in the glass), but not super complex at the moment. Not bad, and somehow seems Italian. $12/13.5% abv.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: 2005 di Maio Norante Contado Aglianico, Molise (Italy)

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:20 am

It would be great to see some Aglianico action here on the forum Joe. My fave store downtown has a minimum of six to choose from right now!

I believe the Feudi di San Gregorio Aglianico is the one to look out for. If you want to try another one Joe, perhaps we could start an Open Mike? I am game for sure.
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:16 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:It would be great to see some Aglianico action here on the forum Joe. My fave store downtown has a minimum of six to choose from right now!

I believe the Feudi di San Gregorio Aglianico is the one to look out for. If you want to try another one Joe, perhaps we could start an Open Mike? I am game for sure.

I might be up to try another bottle or two in the near future. Which bottling of the Feudi di San Gregorio are you referring to?
They appear to make several different levels, some of them priced out of my usual everyday drinking range.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:43 pm

Joe, probably the Rubrato. But there is quite a selection in other areas of our province!
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:39 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:It would be great to see some Aglianico action here on the forum Joe. My fave store downtown has a minimum of six to choose from right now!

If someone starts an OM, I will crack one or two of mine from Feudi San Gregorio. The last ones tried have been rather massive and over oaky and I tend to prefer their excellent whites which don't suffer from that vice. Some people prefer the Taurasi, etc. from Mastroberadino but I haven't tasted any for many years. A couple of years ago, I was very impressed by the Aglianico del Vulture (Basilicata) from Cantine del Notaio but last autumn they did not move me so much; mood, excessive ambient temperature?
Tim York
no avatar
User

Marco Raimondi

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:50 am

Chicago

by Marco Raimondi » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:28 pm

The best Aglianico wine I have tried was back a few years: 1999 Re Manfredi Terre degli Svevi . Unlike almost every other Aglianico, it was all perfume & grace, really like a Vosne-Romanee! I have not seen this wine/producer in the Chicago market since the 2000 vintage (which was also very good). I thought I posted my tasting note on this board, but I can't find it.
I am told this producer still makes a great Aglianico.

Marco
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:04 am

Aglianico, Tim is ready to open! If someone starts an OM, I will crack one or two of mine from Feudi San Gregorio

Sounds like a great idea, perhaps in a couple of weeks. There again, Robin will be looking for some Feb Focus ideas soon!