The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Et al

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

WTN: Et al

by Mark S » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:15 pm

Tin Barn, Sauvignon Blanc, Sonoma County, Bennett Valley, 2006
Supposedly from the famed Dry Stack vineyard, this California sauvignon blanc is amazingly good. Aromatic, pinneapply, lemon mist, fresh lively with decent acidity, a bargain at $15.50, delivered. 14.1% A-

D. Ventura, Ribeira Sacra, 'Viña do Burato, 2007
Swimmingly good mencia. Purplish cranberry red. An aromatic nose of red rose, Irish moss, oyster brine and sponge mask. Bright cherry flavors, cherry-strawberry Koolaid, a slight iodine but not overdone as the Beaujolais do. There is a seaweed-dashi dimension to the finish which adds a nice touch. 12.5% A-
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: WTN: Et al

by Salil » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:22 pm

Mark S wrote:Tin Barn, Sauvignon Blanc, Sonoma County, Bennett Valley, 2006
Supposedly from the famed Dry Stack vineyard, this California sauvignon blanc is amazingly good. Aromatic, pinneapply, lemon mist, fresh lively with decent acidity, a bargain at $15.50, delivered. 14.1% A-

Swimmingly good mencia. Purplish cranberry red. An aromatic nose of red rose, Irish moss, oyster brine and sponge mask. Bright cherry flavors, cherry-strawberry Koolaid, a slight iodine but not overdone as the Beaujolais do. There is a seaweed-dashi dimension to the finish which adds a nice touch. 12.5% A-

Thanks for the notes. That Sauvignon Blanc sounds great - do you know if it's available at retail in NY? I recently had the Dry Stack Cellars Rosemary's Block which was one of the best SBs I've ever had, and I'd love to try more from that site.
Nice note on the Mencia - had that a few months ago at a wine dinner and found it really tasty and food-friendly. Need to find more wines like that.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:11 pm

Interesting wines. I have been trying Mencia. I'm not sure yet if I like it or not.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:34 pm

I am with you Salil......Nice note on the Mencia - had that a few months ago at a wine dinner and found it really tasty and food-friendly. Need to find more wines like that.

Looks like a fair selection is about to show up on the shelves here! Came across some samples the other day.

2004 Dominio de Tares P3 (Bierzo, Spain)
Wine - Red $109.99 (750mL)

2004 Dominio de Tares Bembibre (Bierzo, Spain)
Wine - Red $67.99 (750mL)

2006 Dominio de Tares Baltos (Bierzo, Spain)
Wine - Red $31.99 (750mL)
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

CNY

by Mark S » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:38 pm

Salil Benegal wrote:
Mark S wrote:Tin Barn, Sauvignon Blanc, Sonoma County, Bennett Valley, 2006

Thanks for the notes. That Sauvignon Blanc sounds great - do you know if it's available at retail in NY? I recently had the Dry Stack Cellars Rosemary's Block which was one of the best SBs I've ever had, and I'd love to try more from that site.
Nice note on the Mencia - had that a few months ago at a wine dinner and found it really tasty and food-friendly. Need to find more wines like that.

Salil - not in the NY market. had to go yonder to California for this one, and apparently the only year Tin Barn will source grapes from this vineyard so I wouldn't expect a repeat performance.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

CNY

by Mark S » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:40 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Interesting wines. I have been trying Mencia. I'm not sure yet if I like it or not.

If you like Beaujolais, you'll like mencias.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

CNY

by Mark S » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:42 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:I am with you Salil......Nice note on the Mencia - had that a few months ago at a wine dinner and found it really tasty and food-friendly. Need to find more wines like that.

Looks like a fair selection is about to show up on the shelves here! Came across some samples the other day.

2004 Dominio de Tares P3 (Bierzo, Spain)
Wine - Red $109.99 (750mL)

2004 Dominio de Tares Bembibre (Bierzo, Spain)
Wine - Red $67.99 (750mL)

2006 Dominio de Tares Baltos (Bierzo, Spain)
Wine - Red $31.99 (750mL)

Bob - if you can find the basic Dominio de Tares, try it first. It sees no oak (stainless only) while their more expensive cuvees can have it in spades, and I don't think it's a grape that takes well to oak aging. And it's cheap, around 13-14 USD over here.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:58 am

Mark, saw it today. $31...yeah I know. Robbery!