The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Stemware debacle

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

CraigW

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:38 pm

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Stemware debacle

by CraigW » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:12 pm

Hey folks,

Question here - I've been entrusted with a budget for a complete set of stemware, like 24 or so glasses, for a wedding gift. The recepients are the son of a multi-millionaire and his bride. They are not wine drinkers, but this is an obviously elegant gift choice. The budget is generous.

My question is, do you give exceptional crystal wine glasses as a gift that are non-dishwasherable, and perhaps more for occasional use and display, or do you opt for more day-to-day glasses that can be dishwashered?

My feeling is that you get them more elaborate stems, like Riedel Vinums as it is more of a statement, but I'd like to hear some opinions. Maybe I'm overthinking this.... Has anyone ever given stemware as a gift for such an occasion? What was the response? Anything you learned afterwards?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Stemware debacle

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:18 pm

I've given both cut crystal and Riedel type stems for wedding gifts. I would never again do the cut crystal (e.g. Waterford) as nobody ever uses them for anything!

One idea is the newer titanium (instead of lead) crystal glasses. They are supposed to be dishwasher sturdy and as elegant as Riedel type stemware.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

J Nolan

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:48 pm

Italy

by J Nolan » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:36 pm

I find that with allot of crystals such as Waterford crystal other than expensive, I find then very heavy and awkward to use a bit impractical but lovely to look at, lately I've seen some lovely crystal from the Czech republic you could search some stuff out on the web if not you can get some traditionally hand made personalised glasses from Italy or where ever.
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:48 pm

I would at least look at the new titanium glasses, as David suggested. I know Schott-Zwiesel (sp?) has a line. Dishwasherable, and supposedly more breakage-resistant to boot.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

CraigW

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:38 pm

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

by CraigW » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:49 pm

Nolan, that's one long-ass sentence!

David, I've seen those - Schott-Zweisel titaniums... I got this dramatic presentation of them from a retailer, where we kept tipping one over on the table and it wouldn't break. It was definitely an ooh-la-la moment, not unlike Ronco's food dehydrator. The punchline of that joke is, the glasses are stupidly tall (in my opinion) and they wouldn't fit in my dishwasher, regardless of how sturdy they are!

But gents, thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

I think that, being that these two are not wine drinkers, I would go with both something clean and contemporary looking, as well as brand-recognition. It would be in accordance with posterity that they get as much brand as they do quality, which is why I'm leaning towards Riedel.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:23 pm

Craig,
For what it's worth, Crate and Barrell has some really nice dishwasher safe glasses that do a pretty good job. Most of your high-end epartment stores will carry something like that, but these Crate and Barrell glasses I saw were the best of that type. Heck, even Ikea does some pretty nice glasses if you want to buy bulk.
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:35 pm

The Riedel 'O' series of stemless glasses are very groovy and work very well. I've just started using them and I like them a lot.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:45 pm

You'll be doing them a favor to get them glasses they can actually use for parties or regular dinners. For me, that means something they can replace as they break, so anything not available from a department store, Williams-Sonoma, or something like that is out. Feel free to source them from wherever you prefer, but it should be something they can buy more of. I think that rules out any of the specialty glasses available via geek catalogs, leaving Riedel and maybe Spiegelau (they're available on Amazon, so I consider them mainstream)

Then, if you've got the budget, I would get a set each of water, sparkling wine, white wine, and red wine. Looks impressive on the table. If you've still got the budget, throw in a decanter. It would be quite the present.

Walt
Walter Nissen