The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Your favourite Ontario Chardonnay?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Your favourite Ontario Chardonnay?

by Paul B. » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:53 pm

"New World" Chardonnay's a genre that's had its ups and downs, including a fair bit of ribbing and bad press - as much for its ubiquitous presence as for the sometimes-overblown style in which it is made. Having said that, though, I do believe and maintain that here in Ontario, it is one of the very best varietal vinifera wines that our region consistently produces.

Personally, I've been interested in Ontario Chardonnays for a decade now. I find that they are nearly always the kind of white wine that fits my palate: dry and steely with lots of verve and very pleasant apple/pineapple flavours (sometimes with a dash of wood spice and, more rarely, with "pina colada"-type aromas). My favourite time to drink an Ontario Chard is during the first barbecue of the season, typically in April. Put some pork kebabs on that grill along with some steamed baby potatoes in their skins onto the skewers, some peppers and mushrooms, add some apple or maple wood chips and get that baby smokin' ... and pop open a well chilled dry Ontario Chard - oh, yeah! :D

What are some of your favourite Ontario Chards? I find specific producers hard to mention frankly because I find most of the examples to be very reliable. Henry of Pelham is no doubt right up there (they used to have a "sur lie" version years ago but it unfortunately got discontinued, as most good things do; Inniskillin is also decent; and most examples from the Beamsville Bench are fine too.

I might say I simply like the genre, since I like most of them ... About the only oddity I can recall trying some years back was a heavily oaked Chard from Stoney Ridge that virtually tasted like Bourbon. Still, such examples are comparatively rare.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

Re: Your favourite Ontario Chardonnay?

by Bruce Hayes » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:08 pm

I find the Henry of Pelham to be reliable and I have enjoyed several vintages of Flat Rock Cellars.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:23 pm

I'll second the Flat Rock Cellars.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:54 pm

I like the Chateau de Charmes Chardonnay. Actually it is labeled as a different clone of the pure varietal but can't remember what it is called.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:00 pm

Jim Grow wrote:I like the Chateau de Charmes Chardonnay. Actually it is labeled as a different clone of the pure varietal but can't remember what it is called.

Could it be the Chardonnay Musqué?

I haven't had one of those in ages ... should try one soon!
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:42 pm

That is it!!!
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:16 pm

On my last visit to Niagara the Chardonnay that really stood out was Malivoire's Moira Vinyard bottling. Very deftly balanced between rich and nervy, excellent wine - and this from someone who is not a Chard lover. Pricey, though.

The Chard at Flat Rock was also good.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:28 am

Jim Grow wrote:That is it!!!

Jim, here is my recent TN on a musque from Okanagan.....>

WTN: `07 Blasted Church Chardonnay Musque, VQA Okanagan Falls, BC.

SC, $27 Cdn, 14% alc, opened an hour. Saved half bottle for next day, which was a good move!

Color. Medium straw with hints of a limey green.

Nose. There are some nice aromatics here......citrus, apple and pear. "Floral and perfumed" from across the table, "I can see the spice/muscat like-scent". (My current allegies did not help me here).

Palate. Initial thoughts were medium intensity, non-oaked, off-dry, peach, good acidity. There is a fair mid-palate with some tropical fruits, incl pineapple. Finish is closed up but like the spicy apricot tones that I find. Secret is not to serve too chilled.
Interesting wine but look at the price?

*****after 24 hrs, has held up well with a much better finish. Vibrant, more drinkable it seems. Nice white-stone fruits, who would have thought eh.
Check out the history behind the name....>

http://www.blastedchurch.com
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:24 am

Joe Moryl wrote:On my last visit to Niagara the Chardonnay that really stood out was Malivoire's Moira Vinyard bottling. Very deftly balanced between rich and nervy, excellent wine - and this from someone who is not a Chard lover. Pricey, though.

The Chard at Flat Rock was also good.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention Malivoire. They make good Chardonnay too. :)