The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Anyone tried this 2001 Bordeaux?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

Anyone tried this 2001 Bordeaux?

by Jim Grow » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:55 pm

2001 Ch. Recougne "Terra Recognita" from Bordeaux Superieur. This, the second of 2 bottles, was a bit nicer than the first with sour cherries, smoothish tannins and not much else. Maybe this wine would have been more impressive with 5-7 more years on it.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Anyone tried this 2001 Bordeaux?

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:56 pm

Nope. Never even heard of it.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:06 pm

Re: Anyone tried this 2001 Bordeaux?

by David Z » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:02 pm

Jim Grow wrote:2001 Ch. Recougne "Terra Recognita" from Bordeaux Superieur. This, the second of 2 bottles, was a bit nicer than the first with sour cherries, smoothish tannins and not much else. Maybe this wine would have been more impressive with 5-7 more years on it.

Don't know if I've ever seen (or noticed) a "Terra Recognita" bottling, but the regular Recougne is all over MA: it's probably one of the more common basic Bordeauxs that you see in the state. (Plenty of cheap half-bottles available, too, which is nice).

Brookline Liquor Mart used to have a bunch of cheap older bottles from them, too- I think the distributor had sat on them for 20 years or something like that. I remember a 1981 (my birthyear) which was alive but unremarkable, with dust and cherry fruit, and vaguely Burgundian. The more recent wines are fine and Merloty, but nothing that makes you gasp. I bought a few bottles for my parents. They enjoyed them.