The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Ridge NervoVnyd Zin '96..(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Ridge NervoVnyd Zin '96..(short/boring)

by TomHill » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:55 pm

Tried this last night after fencing workout:
1. Ridge Calif Zin NervoVnyd/SonomaCnty (88% Zin, 8% PS, 4% Carignan; 14.3%; 37 brls; 8 acres of 115 yr old vines; Drk: 1/98-1/00:PD) 1996: Very dark color w/ slight bricking; some blackberry/boysenberry/Zin light classic DraperPerfume/pungent bit pencilly/oak very spicy/rosemary/dried oregano quite complex nose; soft/smooth/elegant quite spicy/dried oregano/spicy sausage bit pungent/licorice/blackberry/Zin light DraperPerfume/oak/vanilla/pencilly complex flavor; med.long quite spicy/dried oregano light blackberry/Zin light oak/pungent slight dusty/earthy/old vine finish w/ slight tannic bite; a graceful/elegant/gentle very spicy/complex fully mature Zin that's lovely drinking. $21.50
1. Danged older Ridge Zins. I oftentimes find them a very frustrating experience. They often have a whole lot going on in them...but I struggle to come up w/ the words to describe them. Dried oregano was about the closest descriptor I could muster. It's that complexity thing that Draper tries to achieve in his wines, I guess. If they had a ton of oak, more alcohol, and gobs of hedonistic fruit, I could give them much higher scores. But all I can do is just sit back and enjoy them for what they are. Novel concept, I guess.
This Nervo, which I really/really liked, is all too typical of those friggin' Ridge ATP wines. When I first tasted this fresh off the boat, it was a pretty/simple/light little thing of a wine, but pretty underwhelming & boring. Just another pretty Ridge face. But, like many Ridge ATPs, it has this way of, down the road w/ some age, rearing back on its haunches and biting you on the a$$ it's so good. I'd have never expected this Nervo to be so good w/ 12 yrs of age. And at 8 yrs past Draper's recommended drinking window. Pretty typical.
Tom