The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Giacosa Roero Arneis, Pavie Rose and Opus One

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Giacosa Roero Arneis, Pavie Rose and Opus One

by Jay Labrador » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:26 am

Notes from Monday's dimsum lunch at Shang Palace with Jojo bringing all the wines (as usual).

I arrived late so the white and rose were already being enjoyed with some of the dimsum.

Bruno Giacosa Roero Arneis 2005 - Light gold. Honeyed, late-harvest-like nose. Same on the palate. Sweet, honeyed, floral, slightly overripe fruit. Light and refreshing. Lovely wine. Apparently this was served too cold so the others who arrived early didn't think much of it until I mentioned how good it was. They went back to it and agreed it was very good.

Pavie Rose 2003 - Slightly corked on the nose. Badly corked on the palate.

Pavie Rose 2005 - Deep color, more a light red than rose. Rich and sweet with a slightly bitter finish. Full bodied for rose but very good and probably as close to Pavie as I'll ever get.

Mystery Wine - Naturally we needed a red so out came the mystery wine. Quite dark. Smells like California but tasted like Bordeaux. Dry and elegant. Tough trying to figure out what this is. I settled on California because of the nose and color. Very good and at peak now. Opus One 1994.

Too bad there were only four of us as Jojo asked us if we were good for another bottle. As most of us had to get back to work after lunch, it was a struggle to decline. We eventually decided not to open another bottle and save it for another day. Too bad because after we refused, Jojo showed us Angelus 1989. Till the next lunch then.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Giacosa Roero Arneis, Pavie Rose and Opus One

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:08 am

Nice lunch!

The very fist wine I had on my first business trip to Italy was the Giacosa Roero Arneis. Somehow it set the tone to be drinking it in a casual restaurant where I was served food that blew away most US white tablecloth places. Thanks for hte trip down memory lane.
Decisions are made by those who show up