The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Ridge Zin Jimsomare '93...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Ridge Zin Jimsomare '93...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:45 am

Had last night w/ dinner:
1. Ridge Calif Zin Jimsomare/SantaCruzMtns (14.9%; 21 brsl; 19'th century SchwabacherRanch; Drk: 2/00-2-02:PD) 1993: Cork totally crumbled, strained thru funnel; dark color w/ some bricking; slight berry/blackberry rather dusty/old vines/earthy some Am.oak/vanilla/pencilly slight leathery/horsecolla/pungent rather complex nose; tart bit lean/tannic leathery/earthy/dusty/old vine some pencilly/Am.oak/vanilla rather SCM/minerally/earthy bit blackberry/Zin complex flavor; long somewhat tannic/lean bit dried out light blackberry/Zin rather minerally/dusty/old vine light vanilla/Am.oak finish; starting to dry out a bit but still a pleasure to drink; whisper of Zin but lots of SCM/terroir/earthy character.
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: WTN: Ridge Zin Jimsomare '93...(short/boring)

by Mark Lipton » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:42 pm

Thanks for the note, Tom. Ever had the '74 Jimsomare? I only know it by reputation, but those who have had it claim that it may have been Paul Draper's finest Zin.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:58 pm

Thanks for the tasting note on the Zin. I recall the good old days when Ridge made a Jimsomare Cabernet Sauvignon. Nice cab at a great price.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:00 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:those who have had it claim that it may have been Paul Draper's finest Zin.

That is a pretty sad comment. Considering how many Zins he has made since then.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

by TomHill » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:12 pm

Dave R wrote:Thanks for the tasting note on the Zin. I recall the good old days when Ridge made a Jimsomare Cabernet Sauvignon. Nice cab at a great price.

Dave,
Used to be, back in the good ol' days (by crackey), they kept the Jimsomare Cab separate. But Jimsomare is no included in the MonteBello AVA, though I think they still occasionally put up a Jimsomare ATP wine.
Tom
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

by TomHill » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:16 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:Thanks for the note, Tom. Ever had the '74 Jimsomare? I only know it by reputation, but those who have had it claim that it may have been Paul Draper's finest Zin.
Mark Lipton

I had the '74 back in its early days, but never as old bones. It didn't stand out in my mind. Lots of the earthy/dusty SCM character and not that much fruit. The Jimsomare Zins, like their HowellMtn Zins, were typically not very interesting in their youth because of the lack of fruit. But they had the structure & were made for the long haul.
Tom
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:18 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Mark Lipton wrote:those who have had it claim that it may have been Paul Draper's finest Zin.

That is a pretty sad comment. Considering how many Zins he has made since then.

That's colored by your views, I think, Rahsaan. The people who made those statement were unabashed fans of Draper's wines, but felt that the '74 Jimsomare was the best that they'd had to date, which of course always leaves open the possibility of later wines eclipsing it in the fullness of time.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:25 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:That's colored by your views, I think, Rahsaan. The people who made those statement were unabashed fans of Draper's wines, but felt that the '74 Jimsomare was the best that they'd had to date..

I didn't realize that. I thought it was the current consensus among certain folks.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:36 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Mark Lipton wrote:That's colored by your views, I think, Rahsaan. The people who made those statement were unabashed fans of Draper's wines, but felt that the '74 Jimsomare was the best that they'd had to date..

I didn't realize that. I thought it was the current consensus among certain folks.

Sorry for not being clearer.

Mark Lipton