The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 07 Kerpen Kabinett

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 07 Kerpen Kabinett

by Dale Williams » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:12 am

With an assortment of leftovers, the 2007 Kerpen Wehlener Sonnenuhr Kabinett Riesling. I had ordered a couple as part of a mixed case from a store on LI, but haven't picked up. So threw in one on a mixed case from a NJ store (that was being delivered) to get discount. Overall I must say I was seriously underwhelmed. There's absolutely nothing wrong here, but I can't say that there was anything of interest to me either. Sweet lime fruit, light body, only a hint of slate. Quite sweet for '07 Kab, but there is some bracing acidity. I actually can't pick out a fault here, it just strikes me as dull - maybe it was me, just a bad night to be tasting, but I can't say I'm thrilled to have more coming. Just strikes me as simple and uninteresting. B-/C+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: WTN: 07 Kerpen Kabinett

by Salil » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:05 am

Thanks for the note Dale. A bit disappointing to read the description; I remember the 06 Kerpen WS Kabinett was a real beauty with surprising elegance and lightness and from your descriptors it sounds like the 07's a step down from that.

Interestingly enough - just had an 07 Wehlener Sonnenuhr Kabinett as well earlier, this one from Max Ferd. Richter, and it was quite similar to what you describe as well - very sweet lime/apple-y fruit, hints of slate but felt a bit simple and not particularly exciting.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:19 am

Salil - I am glad you responded to this thread because my assessment is that the Wehlener Sonnenuhr might be a bit too warm for the precision and focus that Mosel wine fans crave.

This is one of the reasons I buy Rieslings from sites like the Graacher Himmelreich and Zeltinger Schlossberg these days, over the Wehelner Sonnenuhr. Overall warming likely accounts for the good press that the Ockfener Bockstein is getting in recent vintages.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:21 am

David M. Bueker wrote: my assessment is that the Wehlener Sonnenuhr might be a bit too warm for the precision and focus that Mosel wine fans crave..

Except from Prum of course!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:30 am

Rahsaan wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote: my assessment is that the Wehlener Sonnenuhr might be a bit too warm for the precision and focus that Mosel wine fans crave..

Except from Prum of course!

Like Trimbach, Prum is somehow able to buck the trends. I asked Katherina about this & she wouldn't give me a straight answer.
no avatar
User

JeanF

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:04 pm

by JeanF » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:55 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Salil - I am glad you responded to this thread because my assessment is that the Wehlener Sonnenuhr might be a bit too warm for the precision and focus that Mosel wine fans crave.

This is one of the reasons I buy Rieslings from sites like the Graacher Himmelreich and Zeltinger Schlossberg these days, over the Wehelner Sonnenuhr. Overall warming likely accounts for the good press that the Ockfener Bockstein is getting in recent vintages.

In the recent freakish vintages, drainage has probably as much if not more to do with the performance of Graacher Himmelreich and Ockfener Bockstein than sun exposure. Graacher Himmelreich is (almost) as damn hot as the Wehlener Sonnenuhr but has better water retention. The best cask of Auslese at Schaefer in 1959 and 1976 are not by coincidence from the Graacher Himmelreich. The same is also true for the Ockfener Bockstein vineyard which is known to do well in hot vintages. In addition, both vineyards have higher earth content which make richer wines which are better suited to "abosrb" / 'hold up to" botrytis (cf. 2006).

On the Schlossberg, I read your account on your preference for the regular Schlossberg stuff and I can see your logic as such wines comes mostly from the bendy part of the schlossberg (oriented towards the east) which sees less energy during the year.
www.moselfinewines.com
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:09 pm

JeanF wrote:In the recent freakish vintages, drainage has probably as much if not more to do with the performance of Graacher Himmelreich and Ockfener Bockstein than sun exposure. Graacher Himmelreich is (almost) as damn hot as the Wehlener Sonnenuhr but has better water retention. The best cask of Auslese at Schaefer in 1959 and 1976 are not by coincidence from the Graacher Himmelreich. The same is also true for the Ockfener Bockstein vineyard which is known to do well in hot vintages. In addition, both vineyards have higher earth content which make richer wines which are better suited to "abosrb" / 'hold up to" botrytis (cf. 2006).

On the Schlossberg, I read your account on your preference for the regular Schlossberg stuff and I can see your logic as such wines comes mostly from the bendy part of the schlossberg (oriented towards the east) which sees less energy during the year.

Thanks for the info Jean. Was 2007 all that warm and dry? I thought it was just a really long season with one hot month, so that drought stress was not an issue.

Have you had the opportunity to try the 2007 Selbach Schlossberg 'Schmitt' Spatlese? It may very well be my favorite wine of the vintage.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:29 pm

That is a good tip David...>

no avatar
User

Chris Newport

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:19 pm

by Chris Newport » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:53 pm

Perhaps a bit off topic but has anyone been able to compare the '07 Selbach Schlossberg Schmitt with the Schlossberg* ? I know that the Schmitt is from a particular parcel... is the * a fuder selection?

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:03 pm

Chris Newport wrote:Perhaps a bit off topic but has anyone been able to compare the '07 Selbach Schlossberg Schmitt with the Schlossberg* ? I know that the Schmitt is from a particular parcel... is the * a fuder selection?

The 'Schmitt' is far and away the best of all the kabinett and spatlese Selbach produced in 2007. The Schlossberg* is a selection (no idea if it's a single fuder of wine), but I find the Schmitt better.
no avatar
User

Chris Newport

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:19 pm

by Chris Newport » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:11 pm

Thanks... I'll try to grab some before it disappears.

JeanF

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:04 pm

by JeanF » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:20 am

David M. Bueker wrote:
JeanF wrote:In the recent freakish vintages, drainage has probably as much if not more to do with the performance of Graacher Himmelreich and Ockfener Bockstein than sun exposure. Graacher Himmelreich is (almost) as damn hot as the Wehlener Sonnenuhr but has better water retention. The best cask of Auslese at Schaefer in 1959 and 1976 are not by coincidence from the Graacher Himmelreich. The same is also true for the Ockfener Bockstein vineyard which is known to do well in hot vintages. In addition, both vineyards have higher earth content which make richer wines which are better suited to "abosrb" / 'hold up to" botrytis (cf. 2006).

Thanks for the info Jean. Was 2007 all that warm and dry? I thought it was just a really long season with one hot month, so that drought stress was not an issue.

Have you had the opportunity to try the 2007 Selbach Schlossberg 'Schmitt' Spatlese? It may very well be my favorite wine of the vintage.

On average must degrees, 2007 is up there in the "out of range" category with the biggies: 03-05-06 and 76. It was a rather contrasted growing season: very hot and dry in the beginning and then average as of August (I am over-simplifying). So no wonder. 1959 BTW was also not that dry (unlike 2003).

I thought I had the Schmitt but then I have no TN on it ... so I probably missed it. Too bad for me.
www.moselfinewines.com
no avatar
User

Peter Ruhrberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:03 pm

Germany

by Peter Ruhrberg » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:03 am

JeanF wrote:On average must degrees, 2007 is up there in the "out of range" category with the biggies: 03-05-06 and 76. It was a rather contrasted growing season: very hot and dry in the beginning and then average as of August (I am over-simplifying). So no wonder. 1959 BTW was also not that dry (unlike 2003).

The dry heat of 2007 was in April. After that everything was cooler and wetter than normal in recent years, unless my memory is very mistaken. The autumn was dry enough and warm enough for a long harvest, where one could wait for the perfect picking time, although many lost their nerve and picked too early. October was far warmer in 05, and picking was far quicker in 06. I seriouly doubt the theory that 07 Himmelreich is better than WS because of water shortage in the WS. Did any grower suggest this? What about Domprobst? Ist that water retention not as good as Himmelreich? Kerpen's Domprobst feinherb ist very good. Schaefer's Dobrobst 07s are beyond dispute...

Peter
no avatar
User

Peter Ruhrberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:03 pm

Germany

by Peter Ruhrberg » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:08 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Salil - I am glad you responded to this thread because my assessment is that the Wehlener Sonnenuhr might be a bit too warm for the precision and focus that Mosel wine fans crave.

Me thinks this is not what Dale's note suggests wrt the Wine in question. I rather suggest the Kabinett was picked too early for good aromatic devlopment. The must weights were there, the acidity was highish (so leave more RS), but the aroma development was not what it might have been, had he waited a bit longer...

Peter
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:01 am

Thanks for the perspective Peter. Since they don't put picking dates on the labels (Ravenswood in the USA used to do that...they may still do it) there's no way to know exactly exactly what happened (short of talking with Martin Kerpen).

That being said, I am still gravitating more and more to ostensibly "cooler" sites for my wine choices.