The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 Keith Tulloch Semillon (Hunter Valley, Aus)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

Re: WTN: 2006 Keith Tulloch Semillon (Hunter Valley, Aus)

by David Lole » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:00 am

Mark Kogos wrote:
David Lole wrote:
Jay Labrador wrote:I have a bottle of Brokenwood Semillon 1999. Is this ready to drink?

Last one I tried was passed it, Jay. Sorry to the bearer of sad news. Hopefully, yours is at the peak of its powers. Whatever the case, it's time to open it.

I have dozens of Hunter Semillon maturing in the cellar (going back to 1992). Mark's sage advice is well-noted but I opt for leaving the better Hunter's somewhat longer, especially the Tyrrell's Vat 1 and Reserve (Belford, HSV and Stevens) range - 10 years is my preferred starting point for their drinking window. The McWilliams Mount Pleasant Elizabeth is a reliable cheaper, end wine, the Lovedale the premium label that needs more bottle-age before being opened. Brokenwood make a premium Semillon called ILR, but it's very limited availability will make it difficult to procure OS. Keith Tulloch's wines' have received plenty of excellent reviews of late but as I've not been buying much Hunter Semillon of late, haven't tried any. The Meerea Park Alexander Munro Semillon is another one worth looking out for. The 1999 MP AM I bought some time ago is just coming around now. There are literally score's of maker's in the Lower Hunter making Semillon (Scarborough, Audrey Wilkinson, Bimbadgen to name a few) that are worthy of putting down but are mostly sold through cellar door/mailing lists and are not exported.

David, nice to see you up here. I was thinking of you yesterday when discussing the Vat 1 99. I still have the 6 pack unopened in the cellar based on your write up last year but am tempted to try one this year. Have you tried the 02 yet? I was thinking it was time to put some more down into the cellar.

Mark (aka rooman)

Ahhh!!!! That Mark! Where's ya wheelie bin, bro? :wink: How are you in any case?

My case of 2002 remains untouched and is sitting at 16C in the cellar whilst it's soaring into the high 30's outside.

No rush to drink that wonderful 1999. It's soooo good I'm not touching any of my remaining 9 bottles for at least a few years yet. I wish I'd bought several more cases of this now. The HVD Reserve from the same year is a more open style that's ready to go now. The other wine I've had a great run with over many years now is the gorgeously seductive 1997 Belford Reserve. Not many left now and a couple I bought at auction a while back were both cactus - caveat emptor.

Hope you keep contributing here. The good old Aussie troops who congregated here in reasonable numbers in times past have dwindled considerably over the last several years. Wizz has started posting here recently, too. Good to be able to catch up, Roo!
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Mark Noah

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:03 pm

Baltimore

by Mark Noah » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:47 pm

What Aussie board do you guys keep referring to?
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:38 pm

Mark Noah wrote:What Aussie board do you guys keep referring to?

There are 2 main boards in Australia. If you are seriously interested in Australian wine and what there is really out there on offer, these are a great reference site. Many of the participants have extensive collection and a number of critics, amateur and professional turn up to chat, argue and generally celebrate that much maligned topic that is Australian wine. I am also pleased to see some of our UK friends are here which is partly why I have built up the courage to share the odd thought or two.

The first board is http://forum.auswine.com.au/.

The second is http://www.winestar.com.au/forum/

There some not so subtle differences between the two but since some of the forumites are up here, I will leave you to form your own views. It is fair to say however that the former is predominately focused on Aussie wine whilst the participants on the latter have in recent years been infected by the Burgundian bug.

David Lole's site is also really well worth checking out, although after reading it yesterday I was struck by an overwhelming feeling of inadequacy. Not only had I not drunk most the wines he included in his top wines for the year, heck I hadn't even heard of most of them. [David all is well in pursuit of the werid and wonderful. Boy that some list you posted as your highlights of the year. The trouble with hanging out too much on great sites such as this is that I am spending all my children's education fund on vino. Still some much to learn and so little time. Off to the Bistrode Riesling evening next week being run by UWC. That should be interesting. Despite Neval's best efforts I am still woefully behind on the Germanic front.]
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:51 am

Mark Kogos wrote:
Mark Noah wrote:What Aussie board do you guys keep referring to?

There are 2 main boards in Australia. If you are seriously interested in Australian wine and what there is really out there on offer, these are a great reference site. Many of the participants have extensive collection and a number of critics, amateur and professional turn up to chat, argue and generally celebrate that much maligned topic that is Australian wine. I am also pleased to see some of our UK friends are here which is partly why I have built up the courage to share the odd thought or two.

The first board is http://forum.auswine.com.au/.

The second is http://www.winestar.com.au/forum/

There some not so subtle differences between the two but since some of the forumites are up here, I will leave you to form your own views. It is fair to say however that the former is predominately focused on Aussie wine whilst the participants on the latter have in recent years been infected by the Burgundian bug.

David Lole's site is also really well worth checking out, although after reading it yesterday I was struck by an overwhelming feeling of inadequacy. Not only had I not drunk most the wines he included in his top wines for the year, heck I hadn't even heard of most of them. [David all is well in pursuit of the werid and wonderful. Boy that some list you posted as your highlights of the year. The trouble with hanging out too much on great sites such as this is that I am spending all my children's education fund on vino. Still some much to learn and so little time. Off to the Bistrode Riesling evening next week being run by UWC. That should be interesting. Despite Neval's best efforts I am still woefully behind on the Germanic front.]

Of the two sites mentioned, I now only post (occasionally) on the Auswine Forum (Gavin Trott, the Auswine site-owner is well-known and highly-thought-of by a number of the stalwarts (and that includes me) here at the WLDG). I posted heavily on Starforum for several years but over the last year or so, many people I considered to be close friends, seemingly, don't want to have anything to do with me, so I'll let them get on with their lives in peace.

Although newer and smaller, Boccaccio Cellars Online Wine Forum seems to be a more affable community with a terrific site owner and some very experienced and talented contributor's - http://www.boccaccio.com.au/forum/index.php One of the regular's there had this to say about the site about a month ago - "Do you know a cursory search of our postings suggests a healthy, benign, independent, critical, non-bitchy, non-cliquey contribution to the community of wine. Well done captain for maintaining the tone, the enthusiasm and the genuine interest in wine at all levels. One would have to say you gave birth to a winner forum".
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:12 am

Mark Kogos wrote:Ian
Nice to see there are some Semillon fans on the other side of the world. Hunter Semillon at 10 years is really one of the genuinely unique whites produced in Australia. As for when to open the 05, you are correct. Personally I wouldn't open it for another 5 years, trouble is most people aren't great at waiting now days. :) Based on the 03 I had recently, I probably will not open the next one for another 3 years given the other stock in the cellar. The nice thing about the Tulloch's is that he is using screwcap.

Sadly Aussie reds come in for a lot of stick in the US from serious collectrs which is IMO a little unfair. The fault however is largely ours for 3 reasons. First of all we don't send the better wines overseas. There is sufficent demand down here to take up most of what is produced. Secondly the stuff we do send to the US is very much formulated for the US palate and most serious collectors down here wouldn't touch the stuff. Lastly, a lot of the Aus red really need 10-12 years to come into their own.

Hi Mark, and welcome to the WLDG. I have enjoyed reading you on Gavin's board Auswine along with a lot of other posters there. Now if only I knew more about the wines posted on there. You are mostly correct about what OZ wines especially reds, but whites too, that are exported to us in the states. One exception is the Tahbilk, and as far as I can tell the Tahbilk is a hard sale. I really don't know why either as they are so different from the jammy shiraz we usually see on local stores. As for Hunter Valley I don't see one bottle locally so I will go online and see if I can find them in a store that will ship. Again, welcome to the forum, and go see if you can ge Murray, and Graeme G and a lot of the others (Including Brian and TORB to look in from time to time.
Last edited by Bob Henrick on Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:55 pm

Although newer and smaller, Boccaccio Cellars Online Wine Forum seems to be a more affable community with a terrific site owner and some very experienced and talented contributor's

Am always keen to improve my wine horizons with some good folks, see you there David!
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:08 pm

David Lole wrote:
Of the two sites mentioned, I now only post (occasionally) on the Auswine Forum (Gavin Trott, the Auswine site-owner is well-known and highly-thought-of by a number of the stalwarts (and that includes me) here at the WLDG). I posted heavily on Starforum for several years but over the last year or so, many people I considered to be close friends, seemingly, don't want to have anything to do with me, so I'll let them get on with their lives in peace.

David

I had noticed you stopped visiting the winestar forum and must admit it is the poor for it. You have a truly impressive palate and knowledge of Aus and other wines and I for one would love to see you return. I am also sure 95% of the other participants on that site would feel the same way, even if your list of the top 2008 wine is going to cost me a fortune exploring the new. :)
Miss dhem Saints.
Previous