The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 Keith Tulloch Semillon (Hunter Valley, Aus)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

WTN: 2006 Keith Tulloch Semillon (Hunter Valley, Aus)

by Salil » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:11 am

10.5% alcohol, under screwcap. Pale yellow-green colour with a nose showing lime, pear, metal shavings and hints of lanolin and green herbs. Fabulous on the palate with electric acidity and razor-sharp flavours of lime and pear over wet stones and steely minerals. Incredibly light on its feet and perfectly balanced with a refreshing, rainwater-like sensation in the mouth and a long finish. One of the best young Hunter Semillons I've ever had; really delicious now but I'm sure this will be even better with time.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: WTN: 2006 Keith Tulloch Semillon (Hunter Valley, Aus)

by Ian Sutton » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:20 pm

Salil
Ta for this - picked up a couple of bottles of the 2005 vintage a while back - I wish there were more Hunter Semillons available here...
regards
Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:53 pm

Not too often we see a Semillon note here. I used to be a big fan but availability problems here. Only want to know about the Hunter! Whoooo.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:55 pm

More Semillon notes...I am so jealous.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:23 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:Salil
Ta for this - picked up a couple of bottles of the 2005 vintage a while back - I wish there were more Hunter Semillons available here...
regards
Ian

Ian, hello from sunny Sydney Australia. Keith Tullock is definitely producing some excellent Semillons nowdays. The 05 vintage was a particularly good vintage in the Hunter. I had an 03 last week out of the cellar and is just starting to develop into an excellent wine. If you only have a couple of the 05, I would suggest waiting at least another 3-5 years before trying them as semillon really needs a min of 5-7 years to develop and show its true potential.

If you really like Semillion however the grand daddy of them all is the Tyrrells Vat 1 followed by the McWilliams Lovedall. The Vat 1 99 is only just ready to drink and is providing to be a true classic. Well worth tracking down if you can find it.

Enjoy
Mark
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:30 pm

Mark, great to have you here with us! There are a few semillon-heads here! Think there is still some`97 Vat 1 downtown, $37 Cdn I believe.
Have you tasted any Brokenwood of late?
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:38 pm

I wonder if Corti Brothers has any more Tyrell's 1995?
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:41 pm

Mark
Ta for this - just one aged semillon in my cellar - a Tyrrells Stevens Vineyard 1997 which about 3 years ago was striking with it's vibrant acidity (so much so it impressed some Francophiles at the tasting, their perceptions of Aussie whites well and truly jolted :D it's good when a plan works :twisted: ). Still, as you say, it's not about the wine in it's youth, but in maturity that it really shows it's complexity.

I'm figuring that based on that bottle, this year is probably a fair bet for that wine (might even bring it to the Cambridge offline if Nayan's reading).

I'll take your advice on the Keith Tulloch, indeed I'd tentatively had it down as a 5+ years from vintage before cracking the 1st bottle, so pretty much in the same ballpark, so your comments are useful reassurance.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:48 am

Ian

Nice to see there are some Semillon fans on the other side of the world. Hunter Semillon at 10 years is really one of the genuinely unique whites produced in Australia. As for when to open the 05, you are correct. Personally I wouldn't open it for another 5 years, trouble is most people aren't great at waiting now days. :) Based on the 03 I had recently, I probably will not open the next one for another 3 years given the other stock in the cellar. The nice thing about the Tulloch's is that he is using screwcap.

I was also up at Brokenwood recently, although for them I tend to concentrate more on their reds. There are only so many good Semillons you can fit in a cellar. I had a bottle of the Brokenwood Rayner 02 (a McLaren red) recently which really made me sit up and reconsider South Australian reds. If I am buying Australian reds, I tend to go either for the cool climate shiraz out of Victoria such as Castagna or Seppelts St Peters. Alternatively I head to Margaret River for their Cab Savs. Brokenwood also produces an excellent shiraz in the Hunter, called the Graveyard. I had a 98 last year care of friend which was another of the year's highlights. If you see one and it has been well cellared, it is worth trying.

Sadly Aussie reds come in for a lot of stick in the US from serious collectrs which is IMO a little unfair. The fault however is largely ours for 3 reasons. First of all we don't send the better wines overseas. There is sufficent demand down here to take up most of what is produced. Secondly the stuff we do send to the US is very much formulated for the US palate and most serious collectors down here wouldn't touch the stuff. Lastly, a lot of the Aus red really need 10-12 years to come into their own.
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:54 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Mark, great to have you here with us! There are a few semillon-heads here! Think there is still some`97 Vat 1 downtown, $37 Cdn I believe.
Have you tasted any Brokenwood of late?

Bob, apologises but I rolled the answer to your question into the prior response. The web is wonderful place. We have had a few Canadian posters turn up recently on one of the 2 major Australian wine forums. Seems only fair we should wander North.

Anyone want to put up a decent bottle of US Cab on the Cardinals going all the way to the Superbowl?
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

by Jay Labrador » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:10 am

I have a bottle of Brokenwood Semillon 1999. Is this ready to drink?
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

albany, ny

by Salil » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:21 am

Mark Kogos wrote:I would suggest waiting at least another 3-5 years before trying them as semillon really needs a min of 5-7 years to develop and show its true potential.

Welcome aboard Mark, glad to have another Aussie fan here. Agree that Semillon really does need some age to show at its best (an '03 Mount Pleasant Elizabeth Semillon a couple of weeks ago was just stunning and gave me plenty of reasons as to why I should let these sit in the bottle a few years at least) - but some of the younger ones like that Keith Tulloch have an amazing clarity and lightness to them that I love - almost Chablis-like at times but with a less painful price tag.

Mark Kogos wrote:Sadly Aussie reds come in for a lot of stick in the US from serious collectrs which is IMO a little unfair. The fault however is largely ours for 3 reasons. First of all we don't send the better wines overseas. There is sufficent demand down here to take up most of what is produced. Secondly the stuff we do send to the US is very much formulated for the US palate and most serious collectors down here wouldn't touch the stuff. Lastly, a lot of the Aus red really need 10-12 years to come into their own.

Agree - it's a painful situation in the US where a whole lot of McLaren and Barossa Valley Shiraz that all resemble ink dominate all the Australian wine shelves, and a bottle of even the basic Wynn's black label Coonawarra Cab is almost impossible to come by, let alone the really good stuff like John Riddoch, Mt. Langi or Bindi. BTW - seeing as you're a Vic Shiraz fan - have you tried the Heathcote Shiraz that Bindi's making? Stunning stuff.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:06 am

Mark Kogos wrote:Sadly Aussie reds come in for a lot of stick in the US from serious collectrs which is IMO a little unfair. The fault however is largely ours for 3 reasons. First of all we don't send the better wines overseas. There is sufficent demand down here to take up most of what is produced. Secondly the stuff we do send to the US is very much formulated for the US palate and most serious collectors down here wouldn't touch the stuff. Lastly, a lot of the Aus red really need 10-12 years to come into their own.

The US palate is as diverse as Australian wine. It's too bad that importers see US consumers as one, homogeneous group.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:04 am

Jay Labrador wrote:I have a bottle of Brokenwood Semillon 1999. Is this ready to drink?

Last one I tried was passed it, Jay. Sorry to the bearer of sad news. Hopefully, yours is at the peak of its powers. Whatever the case, it's time to open it.

I have dozens of Hunte Semillon maturing in the cellar (going back to 1992). Mark's sage advice is well-noted but I opt for leaving the better Hunter's somewhat longer, especially the Tyrrell's Vat 1 and Reserve (Belford, HSV and Stevens) range - 10 years is my preferred starting point for their drinking window. The McWilliams Mount Pleasant Elizabeth is a reliable cheaper, end wine, the Lovedale the premium label that needs more bottle-age before being opened. Brokenwood make a premium Semillon called ILR, but it's very limited availability will make it difficult to procure OS. Keith Tulloch's wines' have received plenty of excellent reviews of late but as I've not been buying much Hunter Semillon of late, haven't tried any. The Meerea Park Alexander Munro Semillon is another one worth looking out for. The 1999 MP AM I bought some time ago is just coming around now. There are literally score's of maker's in the Lower Hunter making Semillon (Scarborough, Audrey Wilkinson, Bimbadgen to name a few) that are worthy of putting down but are mostly sold through cellar door/mailing lists and are not exported.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:44 am

David M. Bueker wrote:The US palate is as diverse as Australian wine. It's too bad that importers see US consumers as one, homogeneous group.

Indeed! The interests here certainly don't match the stereotype
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:56 am

I almost mentioned Brokenwood - yes it's perhaps the one Hunter Semillon I've tried that I just didn't take to. Although the alcohol % is still low, it seems a little "softer" (to use that non-wine geek expression). That said their ILR is very complex, but again seems ready on release (what is it, about 4-5 years old on release?)

We had a good open mike here a while back on "cooler climate" Aussie Shiraz IIRC. Might be an impetus to do the same re: Bordeaux blends from Marg River?

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:07 am

I found my Brokenwood going downhill after 6 years, thats for sure!
Margaret River Bordeaux blend OM would be great, you gonna set up Ian?!!
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:12 am

Bob
Damn! Bluff called :oops:

No probs - have opened a couple of bottles in the last week, so at least something to get us started. I'll see about putting a (brief) potted summary together towards the end of the week.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

albany, ny

by Salil » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:13 am

Ian Sutton wrote:I almost mentioned Brokenwood - yes it's perhaps the one Hunter Semillon I've tried that I just didn't take to. Although the alcohol % is still low, it seems a little "softer" (to use that non-wine geek expression). That said their ILR is very complex, but again seems ready on release (what is it, about 4-5 years old on release?)

We had a good open mike here a while back on "cooler climate" Aussie Shiraz IIRC. Might be an impetus to do the same re: Bordeaux blends from Marg River?

Would like to see if we could even do cooler climate Aussies or Aus Cabernet/Bdx blends for the next wine focus topic. I'm game for opening Margaret River Cabs anytime - might pop a Leeuwin Art Series with my parents soon.

As for Brokenwood, agree that their Semillon (regular one, no experience with ILR) seems to be a bit softer and more of a short-term drinking Semillon than most other Hunter Semillons from the few I've tasted - the only exception may be the 05, which I really enjoyed.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:40 am

Salil
There's certainly merit in that and open mike itself if generally better (IMO) for a specific wine or very specific wine style (i.e. hunter semillon would make a great open mike, but perhaps the range of styles in Marg River, from Gralyn, through Cullen to Leeuwin etc. is a little broad... and better covered under a monthly wine focus).

Perhaps it could be extended to Antipodean (cooler climate) bordeaux blends to include NZ?

I'm sold on the wine focus idea, just need to convince the head honcho now ...

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:57 pm

David Lole wrote:
Jay Labrador wrote:I have a bottle of Brokenwood Semillon 1999. Is this ready to drink?

Last one I tried was passed it, Jay. Sorry to the bearer of sad news. Hopefully, yours is at the peak of its powers. Whatever the case, it's time to open it.

I have dozens of Hunte Semillon maturing in the cellar (going back to 1992). Mark's sage advice is well-noted but I opt for leaving the better Hunter's somewhat longer, especially the Tyrrell's Vat 1 and Reserve (Belford, HSV and Stevens) range - 10 years is my preferred starting point for their drinking window. The McWilliams Mount Pleasant Elizabeth is a reliable cheaper, end wine, the Lovedale the premium label that needs more bottle-age before being opened. Brokenwood make a premium Semillon called ILR, but it's very limited availability will make it difficult to procure OS. Keith Tulloch's wines' have received plenty of excellent reviews of late but as I've not been buying much Hunter Semillon of late, haven't tried any. The Meerea Park Alexander Munro Semillon is another one worth looking out for. The 1999 MP AM I bought some time ago is just coming around now. There are literally score's of maker's in the Lower Hunter making Semillon (Scarborough, Audrey Wilkinson, Bimbadgen to name a few) that are worthy of putting down but are mostly sold through cellar door/mailing lists and are not exported.

David, nice to see you up here. I was thinking of you yesterday when discussing the Vat 1 99. I still have the 6 pack unopened in the cellar based on your write up last year but am tempted to try one this year. Have you tried the 02 yet? I was thinking it was time to put some more down into the cellar.

Mark (aka rooman)
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:59 pm

Mark
Ahh Rooman! Very good to see you over here.
regards
Ian
no avatar
User

Andrew Burge

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:21 am

Brisbane Australia

by Andrew Burge » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:00 pm

Hi Mark, I was wondering who you were on the Aus Boards!

Andrew Burge (aka Wizz)
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:17 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:Mark
Ahh Rooman! Very good to see you over here.
regards
Ian

Many thanks, the forum looks excellent. I started a new business last year, so I now use Mark. Prior to that there were too many other fellow work colleagues who were "guests" to the forums.
Miss dhem Saints.
Next