The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN/Wine Advisor: Wine Focus - Rioja, red and white

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

WTN/Wine Advisor: Wine Focus - Rioja, red and white

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:29 pm

(Cross-posted in Wine Focus section)

Wine Focus - Rioja, red and white

In recent years, the wines of Spain have to a degree gone off in separate directions. Spain has come to be known for its modestly priced, delicious reds (such as the Monastrell of Jumilla) and whites (like the Albariño of Galicia). At the same time, Spain also turns up in the sought-after trophy-wine department with big reds from Priorat and Ribera del Duero.

Somewhat lost in the rush, it seems to me, is the wine region that - not so long ago - stood for most of us as the trademark wine of Spain. Located in northern Spain at the edge of Basque country along the Ebro River (and reportedly named after its tributary, the Rio Oja), Rioja's high plain is protected from cold Atlantic winds by the Sierra Cantabria mountains to its north, ensuring a cool, protected climate for viticulture.

Rioja is the traditional home of the Tempranillo grape, but the red wine is typically a Tempranillo-dominated blend. Today's featured wine, for instance, Muga 2004 Rioja Reserva, is a typical blend of 70 percent Tempranillo, 20 percent Garnacha, and the remainder a mix of Mazuelo and Graciano. One winery, Marques de Riscal, has special permission to use Cabernet Sauvignon in its blend.

In fact, there's a strong thread of French heritage in this otherwise very Spanish wine. In the middle of the 19th century, French merchants came to Rioja in search of exports when powdery mildew threatened French vineyards; the cycle repeated itself a decade later when the phylloxera louse devastated the vines of France. (Phylloxera eventually came to Rioja, but not until the early 20th century, by which time vine growers had learned to combat the plague with New World rootstock.)

We're looking at the wines of Rioja - primarily the region's trademark reds but also its less-familiar whites, in this month's Wine Focus.

Muga 2004 Rioja Reserva ($28.99)

Labeled "unfiltered," it's a very dark ruby color almost all the way to the violet edge. A bunch of juicy cherries in the aroma, with back notes of earth and just a hint of fragrant black pepper. Cherries on the palate add a whiff of vanilla; crisp acidity and smooth but mouth-coating tannins. Very young for a Reserva, still quite "primary," it will reward years of cellar time. Still, it's enjoyable now, particularly with bold red-meat flavors on the table, and carries its 14% alcohol well. U.S. importer: Cutting Edge Selections Inc., Fairfax, Ohio; from Jorge Ordoñez. (Jan. 3, 2009)

FOOD MATCH: As noted, young Rioja is a red-meat wine. It was fine with a hearty winter dish of lamb and white beans.

VALUE: Public attention has moved quality Rioja well above the budget rank it held years ago, but in fairness, under $30 is quite reasonable for a cellarworthy wine of this character. Also, shop around, as some U.S. vendors offer it in the lower $20 range.

WHEN TO DRINK: As noted, its "primary" fruit makes it enjoyable for drinking now with a good food match, but it will reward a decade or more of cellar time with considerably more complexity.

WEB LINK:
The Muga Website is available in Spanish and English. Here's a fact sheet in English on the 2004 Rioja Reserva:
http://www.bodegasmuga.com/eng/the_wine ... a_eng.html

FIND THIS WINE ONLINE:
Find vendors and compare prices for Muga Rioja Reserva on Wine-Searcher.com:
http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/Muga% ... g_site=WLP

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN/Wine Advisor: Wine Focus - Rioja, red and white

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:45 pm

Muga Reserva (and the Selection Especial) is a regular favorite for me.

If you want to try to keep things closer to $20, there is a lovely wines from La Rioja Alta called Vina Alberti that displays the classic virtues of Rioja. I'll put up a note some time this month.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Gert Claes

Rank

Cellar rat

Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:20 pm

by Gert Claes » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:57 pm

Try the Peciña range - traditional style, better QPR than Rioja Alta and impressive quality. I know I liked it...
no avatar
User

Victor de la Serna

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:50 pm

Madrid, Spain

by Victor de la Serna » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:59 pm

Robin Garr wrote: One winery, Marques de Riscal, has special permission to use Cabernet Sauvignon in its blend.

Not exactly, Robin. Several others, like Valdemar and Barón de Ley, also use cabernet sauvignon in some blends. Marqués de Riscal has been using it since its start in the early 1860s. The variety is tolerated as a quasi-experimental one, but it may not be mentioned on the label – it appears as "others". Pretty ridiculous...
no avatar
User

Mark Noah

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:03 pm

Baltimore

by Mark Noah » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:34 pm

Do you know if Riscal still uses some Cab in its blend? :?:
no avatar
User

Victor de la Serna

Rank

Ultra geek

Madrid, Spain

by Victor de la Serna » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:19 am

Only for its luxury cuvée, Barón de Chirel, which now has just some 20% cab in the blend. But the legendary 'Cuvée Médoc' reserve wines made in the 1920s, 1930s and 1940s had as much as 60% cabernet sauvignon. BTW, the 'Cuvée Médoc' was an in-house name, and never appeared on the label. The wines could be recognized simply by the bottle shape: instead of the regular Bordeaux bottle used by Riscal, they were in the wide-shouldered, Haut Brion-style bottle. The 1936 and 1945 Riscal Cuvée Médoc are some of the greatest red wines ever produced in Spain. They were distinctly Rioja in style and not a Bordeaux imitation, though – the result of terroir (and 40% tempranillo) dominating varietal content (as should be the case with all great terroirs). But the cabernet gave them extra nerve and complexity.
no avatar
User

Mark Noah

Rank

Wine geek

Baltimore

by Mark Noah » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:45 am

Thanks Victor for the Very thorough answer! One more for you if you don't mind: Are the current reservas aging as they did from the 60s and early 70s? Thanks again ~~ Mark
no avatar
User

Victor de la Serna

Rank

Ultra geek

Madrid, Spain

by Victor de la Serna » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:44 am

Lots of 1960s and 1970s reservas aged poorly, Mark. And lots aged well. The same will happen with current wines. There are 500 wineries in Rioja, vinifying and aging in many different ways grapes of varying quality. It's a good idea to see a winery's track record, and even some of the newer wineries are beginning to have one now that they've released 8-10+ vintages...
no avatar
User

Mark Noah

Rank

Wine geek

Baltimore

by Mark Noah » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:43 am

Sorry Victor, I wasn't very clear. I was still referring to the Riscal. I guess I was curious as to your experience with this winery in particular. So, do you believe the current wine making, at Riscal, promotes longevity, as did the Riscal Reservas from the 60s and 70s?

Thanks,

Mark
no avatar
User

Victor de la Serna

Rank

Ultra geek

Madrid, Spain

by Victor de la Serna » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:29 pm

Barón de Chirel and the more traditional Marqués de Riscal Gran Reserva, certainly (2001 Barón de Chirel looks very promising); Marqués de Riscal Reserva certainly not. This is now a rather inexpensive mass-market wine - yearly production is more than 400,000 cases!
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:09 pm

Hi Robin,

I have Muga Rioja Reservas 2004 in my cellar and I hope I can keep my hands off them for a couple of years as they age nicely in my experience. At $25 CAN per bottle, tax included they are more reasonably priced here. Especially considering it costs about $1.20 CAN to buy one US$.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Mark Noah

Rank

Wine geek

Baltimore

by Mark Noah » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:48 am

OK, Thank you Victor.