The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Infanticide (Young Bordeaux)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Infanticide (Young Bordeaux)

by Brian K Miller » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:36 pm

A little young Bordeaux tasting last night with friends at WineStyles.

2005 Chateau Sorbey Haut Medoc (International Vineyards, importers). better known in the rest of the world as "Chateau Julien" but renamed for the American market to avoid "confusion" with the appellation. :?

http://www.intvin.com/fiches_techniques/Sorbey_TN.pdf

I think the distributors's tasting notes are pretty accurate. Black cherry in color, with an "All-Bordeaux" nose. On the palate, definitely an emphasis on red currant (red cherry). The most impressive thing was the long long finish with a lot sage savoryness. On the demerit side, the wine is in an awkward phase right now-the parts are not really melding together very well, YET. Also, there are big tannins up front that shut the wine down a little bit towards the end of the evening. Overall, though, a solid $20 claret that I might even cellar for five years or so! 85 points based also on price and upside potential???

2000 Chateau Barde Haut Saint Emillion Grand Cru. Darker color than the Haut Medoc-almost black with a dark ruby rim. This started out BAD. A ton of oak overwhelming the fruit on the nose when first decanted.

But...patience was rewarded. The oak somewhat melded and the nose began to show more fruit. The flavors were definitely more to the black fruit side, with a bit of plum and black cherry. The finish was not as long as the Haut Medoc above, but also showed some nice sage-y savoriness. A little more integrated than the Sorbey-there was less awkwardness in the flavor profile here. But, man oh man, I now vividly understand the term "drying tannins." The back and roof of my mouth was parched after drinking this.

This wine was not at a peak yet, so it may be unfair to rate it, but I almost still prefered the Sorbet, which was less than half the price! 84 points, with upside potential. Not cheap, so probably wouldn't buy again.

Both wines needed food. Badly. Still...an interesting evening.

We also tried as a "reference point" an American Bordeaux blend from Lodi, of all places. The Watts Dos Amores is actually somewhat Old World-ish, but was definitely sweeter and oakier than the Sorbey. Also showed a bit discombobulated. I prefer the Sorbey, which is even slightly cheaper.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Infanticide (Young Bordeaux)

by Jenise » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:17 pm

better known in the rest of the world as "Chateau Julien" but renamed for the American market to avoid "confusion"

Oh GREAT. So they re-name it something that sounds like a treatment for athelete's foot. Are we really that dumb?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:23 pm

Jenise wrote:
better known in the rest of the world as "Chateau Julien" but renamed for the American market to avoid "confusion"

Oh GREAT. So they name it something that sounds like a treatment for athelete's foot. Are we really that dumb?

:mrgreen:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:24 pm

I immediately thought So-Be.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:37 pm

This got me thinking of ice cream!
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:39 pm

It is a serious crime to kill babies in this country. That is because almost child, teenager and adult knows exactly what a baby is. One in a thousand people know that Bordeaux isn't a grape. If the country was as tied in with wine as it is with children, what you did would be a serious crime, too.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:47 pm

I thought the French drank Bordeaux young, too. Especially $20 Clarets.

I will, however, confess my sin and stick henceforth to Cotes de Rhones and Zinfandels and California Fruit Bomb Cabs. :twisted:
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:09 am

Brian K Miller wrote:I thought the French drank Bordeaux young, too. Especially $20 Clarets.

I will, however, confess my sin and stick henceforth to Cotes de Rhones and Zinfandels and California Fruit Bomb Cabs. :twisted:

I think many do. At least they serve very young inexpensive Bordeaux in restaurants. I'm also guilty of drinking them young, because that's all I can buy cheap. I used to buy better Bordeaux to put away for aging, and drink them when they were ready, but I can't afford to do that anymore.