The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A few New Zealand Sauvignons

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

WTN: A few New Zealand Sauvignons

by Salil » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:34 pm

From the last couple of weeks, where we've opened a few to go with the local Singaporean cuisine. (Chicken satay, peanut sauce and Sauvignon Blanc is a match I may never get tired of.)

2006 Goldwater Sauvignon Blanc (Marlborough)
Pungent and aggressive aromas of freshly cut grass, grapefruit, pineapple and green herbs soar from the glass. Spicy, grassy and slightly tart on the palate with grapefruit, pineapple, herbs and hints of green mango over a core of sharp acidity. Finishes long and clean. A really forward and intense expression of Sauvignon Blanc which I loved.

2006 Mount Difficulty Sauvignon Blanc (Central Otago)
Light yellow-green colour with a surprisingly shy nose that opens out with air to show aromas of ripe citrus and tropical fruits with hints of herbs. On the palate there are flavours of grapefruit, hay and melon over hints of pineapple. Good acidity and a clean refreshing finish. Probably the most subtle and understated example of NZ Sauvignon I've come across, a massive contrast to the Goldwater which we had a few days before this.

2006 Lawson's Dry Hills Sauvignon Blanc (Marlborough)
Fabulous aromatics, almost Gruner Veltliner-like initially with a blast of pepper, pea pods, grass and herbs on the nose. With a little air strong lime and grapefruit flavours emerge and eventually dominate the aromatic profile. Medium bodied on the palate showing lime, melon and grapefruit over green herbs and faintly toasty notes with bright acidity underneath. Finishes clean with medium length. Fabulous wine with more complexity and depth than I find in most Sauvignon Blancs, and really great value (which I find to be the case with most of the LDH wines).
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

Re: WTN: A few New Zealand Sauvignons

by Sue Courtney » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:02 pm

Interesting to see these reviews of wines that many here in NZ would consider over the hill.
The Goldwater label just keeps getting better and better, one of the most rewarded in wine shows this season. It's now made by the crew at Vavasour.
Agree, LDH is very consistent.

Cheers
Sue
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:12 pm

Over the hill? That fast? I thought the French drank their wines young.

Hopefully my bottle of 2007 Nobilo Icon is still on the upside. :wink:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:35 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Over the hill? That fast?

A lot of it is to do with marketing. And SB is zippy and vibrant when young.
I was disappointed at Christmas when my coveted bottle of Saint Clair Wairau Reserve SB 2007 had lost all its vivacious punch and was turning into asparagus and peas.
Actually 2006 was a pretty good year and I'm not surprised that some of that vintage's wines are holding in there.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:49 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:Actually 2006 was a pretty good year and I'm not surprised that some of that vintage's wines are holding in there.

Sue, any comments about a wine called St. Lukes? I just read this from an online merchant: "We'd had just about enough of dilute New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, ready to write off the whole category as another in a long string of wine fads run amuck. Then we discovered St. Lukes in a blind tasting in Sancerre -- a tasting that featured wines from Didier Dagueneau, Vacheron, and Cloudy Bay. St. Lukes stole the show (finishing fourth, making Cloudy Bay into an afterthought), and we made the call."
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:58 pm

Salil Benegal wrote:2006 Lawson's Dry Hills Sauvignon Blanc (Marlborough)
Fabulous aromatics, almost Gruner Veltliner-like initially with a blast of pepper, pea pods, grass and herbs on the nose. With a little air strong lime and grapefruit flavours emerge and eventually dominate the aromatic profile. Medium bodied on the palate showing lime, melon and grapefruit over green herbs and faintly toasty notes with bright acidity underneath. Finishes clean with medium length. Fabulous wine with more complexity and depth than I find in most Sauvignon Blancs, and really great value (which I find to be the case with most of the LDH wines).

Haven't had much SB lately since I primarily associate it with being a "summer" wine, but this sounds intriguing and I'm just going to have to search some out
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:39 pm

Jenise wrote:Sue, any comments about a wine called St. Lukes?

Another NZ savvie label I've never heard of (sigh). Must have been made for the American market. But perhaps not as I see thay have a web site and a shared cellar door in Marlborough.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:44 pm

Jenise wrote:
Sue, any comments about a wine called St. Lukes?

I can give some more information on this as I met Graeme Giles, one of the owners, a couple of weeks ago in Marlborough.

They're primarily grape growers with contracts to supply a number of brands including Kim Crawford, but with recent grape surpluses and some contracts being terminated or rewritten they started their own label and a family member in the US has had some success selling to the on-trade there.

Otherwise the wines are available only (I believe) from a tasting room/cafe they own in Marlborough - http://www.thewineroom.net.nz

Their US importer site is http://www.lineageimports.com

I though the St Lukes SB was a good example of Marlborough SB. St Lukes website is http://www.stlukeswines.co.nz