The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Question on Upright Storage for Non Corked Wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

Question on Upright Storage for Non Corked Wine

by Tom Troiano » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:55 pm

Is there any reason to not store a wine that doesn't have a natural cork upright?

Sorry that question is a bit awkward.

If I have wines with synthetic corks and screw caps. Can I store them upright?

Tom T.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

Re: Question on Upright Storage for Non Corked Wine

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:06 pm

I can't think of any reason why not, but you should wait for some of the better educated members to weigh in.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:19 pm

Can you store them upright? Yes. In fact most bottles bottles with corks can be stored upright too. It is only when long term storage is concerned that is becomes important to keep the cork moist. Even then I seriously wonder how important it is if the humidity in the cellar is not too low.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:32 pm

Tom,

I see no reason screwcaps cannot be stored upright and do so regularly.

Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:33 pm

I asked the same question a couple of years ago as I was thinking about screwcaps. As others have noted, if it's not a real cork, then you can store them upright.

The only point that was made to me at the time was that a cellar full of upright bottles just invites accidental breakage. Even if they don't need to be horizontal, wine bottles, as far as I am concerned, are safer on their side in some kid of shelf unit.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:41 pm

Upright is fine for alternative closures. I have cases and cases of screw capped wines & just leave 'em right side up. In fact I actually got a case box the other week full of screw capped wines that had the arrow for "this side up" pointing with the caps upright.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:44 am

Bruce Hayes wrote:I asked the same question a couple of years ago as I was thinking about screwcaps. As others have noted, if it's not a real cork, then you can store them upright.

The only point that was made to me at the time was that a cellar full of upright bottles just invites accidental breakage. Even if they don't need to be horizontal, wine bottles, as far as I am concerned, are safer on their side in some kid of shelf unit.

Yes, breakage could be an issue. I was standing up some wines for the holidays and realized that some were not using real cork so I figured "what the heck" I might as well stand up more that have artificial corks or screw caps. I would never stand up hundreds of bottles; I'm just talking about 10-20 bottles.

Tom T.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:12 pm

The reason wine bottles with natural corks should be stored on their sides is to keep the bottom of the cork wet so it provides a proper seal. Cork shrinks as it dries and thus a dried cork might not seal properly.

I would think it's actually better to store bottles with artificial closures upright since that way the wine is not in contact with the bottom of the closure and hence can't pick up off-odors or flavors from it.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:23 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:The reason wine bottles with natural corks should be stored on their sides is to keep the bottom of the cork wet so it provides a proper seal. Cork shrinks as it dries and thus a dried cork might not seal properly.

I would think it's actually better to store bottles with artificial closures upright since that way the wine is not in contact with the bottom of the closure and hence can't pick up off-odors or flavors from it.

And, in the case of plastic "corks," might possibly improve the closure. The big problem with them, loss of plasticity, might be retarded if they aren't in contact with the wine.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Frank Drew

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:14 pm

Virginia

by Frank Drew » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:04 pm

As Bruce notes, the wine would be fine, but the bottle would be at risk when stored upright. Even if you never broke a bottle, I can't think of a vertical storage plan that gives the security and ease of access of horizontal storage, especially the latter feature.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:08 pm

I have a couple of the sturdier cardboard cases on my cellar floor, I tend to store screwcaps (and bubblies) upright in those cases. Use taller ones so necks aren't exposed risking breakage
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:12 pm

Frank Drew wrote:As Bruce notes, the wine would be fine, but the bottle would be at risk when stored upright. Even if you never broke a bottle, I can't think of a vertical storage plan that gives the security and ease of access of horizontal storage, especially the latter feature.

I'm not so sure, Frank (and Bruce). It depends, I suppose, on the quantities you buy in, but as an alternative to diamond racks, you'd simply have standard horizontal shelving with vertical partitions. If knocking bottles off is a big concern, a 1" lip on the front should alleviate most concern. That's what we use in labs for preventing accidental spillage from shelving units of chemicals. Such a setup would be at least as convenient as horizontal storage, I think. In fact, by making the vertical partitions movable, one could accommodate almost any collection of wine.

Mark Lipton