The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 05 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Schlossberg Auslese 'Schmitt

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

WTN: 05 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Schlossberg Auslese 'Schmitt

by Salil » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:56 pm

Opened for my dad's birthday along with a 2002 Donnhoff Niederhauser Hermannshohle Spatlese. This was an incredibly generous gift from David Bueker - I had been looking for a bottle of either this or the 05 Rotlay to open with my parents and when I wasn't able to source either locally, David very kindly gave me this from his cellar. Thanks again David (and my parents really loved it - to the extent that my dad was barely paying any attention to the Donnhoff at points, which was also fabulous).
This is a breathtaking wine with a level of complexity, depth and elegance that's hard to describe. This combines intense slatey mineral flavours with honey, spices and bright apple, citrus and tropical fruits, adding floral and smoky elements with air. Despite the richness and intensity of flavour, it feels almost weightless in the mouth with bright acidity and an incredibly long finish that leaves the tongue stained with slate and tropical fruits for a while. An incredible wine (and it only reaffirms my opinion that I need to drink much more Selbach-Oster).
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: 05 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Schlossberg Auslese 'Schmitt

by Rahsaan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:01 pm

Salil Benegal wrote:This is a breathtaking wine with a level of complexity, depth and elegance that's hard to describe..

Glad to hear this is showing well. I bought the 05 Rotlay and was afraid to open it now, but sounds like you had a very good experience.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 05 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Schlossberg Auslese 'Schmitt

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:18 pm

I hear echoes of my note from this past summer: Epitomizes the classic Mosel virtues of flavor without weight, fruit melded to stone & starting with rich sweetness but finishing dry. Absolutely delicious wine.
Decisions are made by those who show up