The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: WesMar Zin, 07 St Innocent Pinot Blanc, 95 AF Gros VR

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

WTN: WesMar Zin, 07 St Innocent Pinot Blanc, 95 AF Gros VR

by Jason Hagen » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:03 pm

2006 WesMar Zinfandel - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (12/27/2008)
Blam. Big zin the way it is supposed to be. Monster berries jumping out of the glass. Smells so good. Big fruit with lots of acid that carries nice and tart. Long finish that ends with a touch of cream. Really tremendous. This is big zin done right. No prunes, lots of viscosity and great length … and no heat! A step up from the 05. Drink now. (92 pts.)

2007 St. Innocent Pinot Blanc Freedom Hill Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (12/27/2008)
Oh this is very nice. Rich and tart. Long finish. The SI pinot blancs show such nice balance. This should progress easily for a few years. (90 pts.)

1995 Domaine A.-F. Gros Vosne-Romanée Maizières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée (12/26/2008)
At first this smelled weird but that dissipated quickly. Still showing some oak. Not much going on. Pleasant is what I would say. On the palate this is tart and still fairly tannic. This wine is far from complex but works well and is close to seamless. Still seems fresh although I would be a little worried the fruit will dry out. Not much on the secondary front. (87 pts.)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: WesMar Zin, 07 St Innocent Pinot Blanc, 95 AF Gros VR

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:12 pm

I really like the St. Innocent Pinot Blanc (and Gris). This will sound like heresy, but lately I think I prefer them to the Pinot Noirs.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:35 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I really like the St. Innocent Pinot Blanc (and Gris). This will sound like heresy, but lately I think I prefer them to the Pinot Noirs.

Not heresy to me ... even though I love the pinots ... but lets just say I skip some of the pinots (more on certain vintages) but I don't skip the whites. And for under $20 I thought his sparklers were outstanding. Thankfully he is making bubbly again.

Jason
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:45 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:Thankfully he is making bubbly again.

That's great news!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:49 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I really like the St. Innocent Pinot Blanc (and Gris). This will sound like heresy, but lately I think I prefer them to the Pinot Noirs.

Nor does it sound like heresy to me. I joined the wine club because of the Pinot Noir, but the Pinot Gris and Blanc (as well as the Chards) really grab my attention and hold on.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?