The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Various Christmas Week Wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Various Christmas Week Wines

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:12 pm

See the New Years thread for the very brief Cinq Cepage notes. I actually liked the wine more than some here. :oops:

Various Vino:

2007 M.Olivier Cot (Loire Valley) at Terroir Wine Bar. Very tart, high acid, juicy red wine. Tastes nothing like Argentine Malbec, but there is that nice plum fruit beneath the vibrancy. Quite nice.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2001 Rosemount Balmoral Estate Shiraz McLaren Vale. Disappointing to me. The alcohol (15%) shows through in an obtrusive way now, and there is a high pitched note to the fruit I don't like very much. Is this what they mean by "estery"? Is it simply old? No real earthy or savory or peppery notes showing through this bottle. Others liked this more, so take my pan with a grain of salt.

2004 D'Arrenberg "The Love Grass" Shiraz Mclaren Vale. I much preferred this wine-especially at half price. But...I tolerate/like some brett, and this was quite funky. No heat at all, and definitely some funky earthy notes. Quite smooth and easily quaffable, even with the brett. Very nice.

with Jon Hilliard at Wine Styles (Janey drank Cognac)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2004 Keenan (Spring Mountain, Napa Valley). Very, very young, but I found this big, brawny Napa Cabernet very enjoyable. Quite delicious black fruit, with anise notes. Minerally as well I also found it very juicy-the acidity seems to be quite nice, and the tannins are definitely present here. This might age well? A first from this winery for me! Thanks, Jon!

2004 Francis Ford Coppola Presents Zoetrope. Cool label artwork! I understand this is Central Valley fruit? Extemely soft wine, no tannic structure at all. Still...not bad black fruit flavors, and not quite as sweet as I would expect. A great party wine?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach