The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1995, 1998 Les Cailloux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: 1995, 1998 Les Cailloux

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:16 am

I’ve been taking a week of holidays (only to find myself snowed in) and these are notes on some bottles tasted during the ‘holiday’

2001 Delheim Grand Reserve - this cab based wine from the Cape seems to slide under the radar for most people, and it warrants more attention. Excellent vanilla and plum nose, juicy with cocoa mocha on palate, good acidity and still significant tannin. First bottle of a case that I’ve tasted and I’ll probably keep the next one until 2010 or so.

1995 Les Cailloux - Did a tasting of 1995 and 1998 Beaucastel and wanted to also look at this producer in those years. medium to full bodied, this Chateauneuf had a typical nose of sweet fruit and a hint of lilac with some smokiness. Long and solid finish. No rush at all.

1998 Les Cailloux - more pepper in this nose and a bit of leather and garrigue. On palate, full bodied and sweet with the tannins only making an appearance toward the end. No rush on this one either.

Maybe I should try and find the 95 Cuvee Centenaire for dinner, just to have a nice comparison….I enjoy the traditional style of these wines.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: WTN: 1995, 1998 Les Cailloux

by Redwinger » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:22 am

Bill-

So it seems the demise of the 1998 Les Cailloux reported in some corners of the internet appear to be a myth. That's good to hear.

Thanks,

Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 1995, 1998 Les Cailloux

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:11 pm

The demise of the '98 Les Cailloux is widespread and spotty. I am of a mind that it is either some kind of damage in transit or a problem with a batch of the wine at bottling that made it less ageworthy.

There have also been some minor complaints about the 2000, but that's a very precocious vintage that I would not look to for the long term anyway.
Decisions are made by those who show up