The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Blinds (Mostly Tig + Breuer & Cornelissen)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Blinds (Mostly Tig + Breuer & Cornelissen)

by Saina » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:41 am

For our blind starter we had a lovely, rare wine from the grape Orléans:
  • 2002 Georg Breuer Rüdesheim Orléans - Germany, Rheingau (1/4/2009)
    Bottle #169/400; from reputedly 200yo vines! - could it really be so? A very pure and elegant scent, very mineral and citrussy. Concentrated but very elegant, pure, ripe and sweet fruit but I would imagine quite low in RS; pétillant and vibrant and very, very lively. I thought this was a fantastic wine.

Then we had the main flight. All I knew was it was Tuscans and the maximum Parker points were 93 (strange info given...) - which was alarmingly high considering our tastes! ;)

• 2000 Antinori Tignanello Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT (1/4/2009)
    Blind. Seemingly the most advanced wine of the evening with plenty of sous-bois, tobacco, dark cherry and also some brighter red fruit notes. Very full bodied, sweet even, but with a pleasant kick of acidity providing brightness on the finish. Strangely advanced, yet the maturity was also much of the appeal. Nice.
  • 1998 Antinori Tignanello Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT (1/4/2009)
    Corked. NR (flawed)
  • 2004 Antinori Tignanello Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT (1/4/2009)
    Blind. Oaky and lactic, dark fruit, very sweet and open, but not showing much Sangiovese character despite some sandalwood. Full bodied, very sweet and oaky, but with a lovely tannic and acidic brightness to counter the sweetness. I think it might turn out ok once the oak and fruit start to fade.
  • 2003 Antinori Tignanello Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT (1/4/2009)
    Blind. A very sweet and red scent: strawberry jam. The palate was full bodied and flabby. Not as catastrophic as many other 2003s but not really to my taste.
  • 1999 Antinori Tignanello Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT (1/4/2009)
    Blind. This might have been my favourite of the tasting. This and the '97 where the only ones that to me showed obvious Sangiovese aromatics. Bright, red cherry aromas, sandalwood, pure even having lost the overt oak that younger Tignanellos seem to have. Very full bodied and sweet in fruit, but lively, quite high in acid, still refreshing tannins - it was actually very moreish. Nice!
  • 2004 Cosimo Maria Masini Nicolo Maremma Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Maremma, Maremma Toscana IGT (1/4/2009)
    Cabernet Sauvignon. Blind. It fit right in with the Tignanello theme and was therefore a perfect ringer. Dark fruit but pleasantly lifted, seemed quite oaky (though when revealed we were told it sees only used wood!), sweet. Full body, very sweet, good upright tannins and acidity but the whole seemed quite oak forward and darker toned in fruit than I prefer.
  • 1997 Antinori Tignanello Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT (1/4/2009)
    Blind. Alongside the '99 this was my favourite of the tasting as it showed an obvious Sangiovese character of bright, red fruit and sandalwood. So it might be a bit sweeter than my Platonic ideal of the grape but it had good structure from both refreshing tannins and bright acidity and frankly most aspects of the wine didn't seem like they would come from such a warm year. Refreshing and moreish despite the sweet fruit. Nice!
  • 2001 Antinori Tignanello Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT (1/4/2009)
    Blind. So different from the other wines of the evening that we were all sure this was the ringer. A dark toned scent, heavy handed oak, inky and unrefreshing scent. Full bodied palate, flat and sorely lacking in liveliness despite there being seemingly good levels of acidity. More obviously "modern" in style than the other Tignanellos.

Finally we had a blind cleaning-up wine, which alongside the lovely Orléans was my favourite wine of the evening (perhaps not a surprise to anyone):
  • 2007 Frank Cornelissen Etna contadino 5 - Italy, Sicily, Etna DOC (1/4/2009)
    Blind: What a lovely wine! Very sweet, red fruit aromas and plenty of earthiness - it reminded me of Spätburgunder but was much better than any Spätburgunder that I have ever had. So lively and energetic that it must be "natural wine", sweet but immensely refreshing, bright and extremely moreish. Lovely stuff!
Posted from CellarTracker
Last edited by Saina on Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: WTN: Blinds (Mostly Tig + Breuer & Cornelissen)

by Redwinger » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:45 am

Otto-

Thanks. Any thoughts on the future evolution/development on the 1997 Tig? Have an orphan in the pit and was just wondering.

Breuer is one of my favorite Rheingau producers...too bad they are so damn hard to find in my area.

Thanks again,

Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:58 pm

Hello Bill, all of us in this tasting thought it one of the least evolved wines! It needed a couple hours to open up in the glass and we were all surprised that the oldest should taste so young. I would still let it rest for a couple years.

The Breuer was from the grape Orléans - sorry for my mistake, I've now corrected it into my text. I hadn't even heard of the grape before but apparently it used to be grown quite widely until the 19th C.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:03 pm

I had a bottle of the '97 Tig not that long ago. It's really drinking very well now with some air, but as Otto said, it has a lot left in the tank.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:41 pm

Otto,

I do not think the Breuer is from 200 year old vines (maybe a few of them, but certainly not all of them). The grape was essentially lost for decades until a few old, untended vines were found in the Rudesheimer Berg. Cuttings were preserved & Breuer planted a small patch of vines. First vintage was in the mid-90s.
Decisions are made by those who show up