The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Mostly Spanish plus Barbaresco and Ridge

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Mostly Spanish plus Barbaresco and Ridge

by Jay Labrador » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:14 am

Notes from last night's party at Barcino Gourmet to welcome back the restaurant's founding owners, Ramon and Marie Gloria, who just returned to Manila after finishing a three year assignment in Singapore for P&G.

Cava Vallformosa Chantal Rosado NV - Deep, vibrant pink. Fine bubbles. Fruity but finishes a bit bitter and noticeably short. Still, a friendly drink at a good price.

CARE Tempranillo Shiraz 2007 - From Carinena, the region, not the grape. Good nose. Light and smoky in a drink-now style. Good value for money at about $8.00.

Vila Barbaresco Riserva 2000 - Tobacco leaf, Sweet, ripe fruit. Still a lot of tannin. Needs a couple of years to soften but should turn out very good.

Ridge York Creek Late Picked Zinfandel 2001 - Quite dark. Very nice nose. Slightly jammy and a bit hot but these are minor quibbles. Rich, ripe and sweet but it avoids being heavy in the mouth. Very ripe berry. Coffee. Well-balanced and real easy and friendly. Soft and ready now. Excellent wine.

Beronia Mazuelo Reserva 2004 - Very dark. Sweet and ripe. Dry finish. Surprisingly approachable and soft. Perhaps not an ager but seems to be just approaching peak now. Could perhaps gain a bit more complexity in a year or so but it makes a good drink now.

Pinol Portal Roble 2005 - Very dark. Unfortunately served too cold. A little sweaty on the nose. Unyielding and closed otherwise. Probably needs a serious decant to open up but as I had to leave the party early, I wasn't able to follow the progress of this wine. I remember having enjoyed it previously, though.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.