The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Just Good Wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Just Good Wine

by John Treder » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:11 pm

I opened another bottle tonight of Just Good Wine. I love it when that happens. It doesn't require experience, or lots of tasting background, or anything but being ready to enjoy. Tonight's bottle, with spaghetti and the family's meat sauce, was David Coffaro Estate Cuvee 2003.
Rich, full, long, aromatic, thoroughly Californian without degenerating into overripe gooeyness. Why you either like, or don't like, David Coffaro's wines.
33% Cab Sauv, 31% Zin, 24% Carignan, 12% Peloursin. 14.7% alcohol. (I wouldn't have guessed that much.) 440 cases produced.
It's Dry Creek Valley, estate bottled and cost me a lordly $12.50 on futures. I picked it up in February 2005.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Just Good Wine

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:45 am

That is one interesting blend! Did the Cab dominate, or could the Zin stand up to it?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:19 pm

i would have thought the cab would have trouble standing up to the zin
david creighton
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:59 pm

Coffaro appear to have a lot of fun with unusual blends..Tasted and purchased several several wines at the winery ,, including 2 multi-grape blends, when we were in Sonoma in October..Also got to do some barrel tasting and bought some wines as futures
Jon
no avatar
User

David Glasser

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:51 am

Maryland

by David Glasser » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:05 pm

Dave Coffaro's wines are great values and solid performers, just as you've described. I've stopped ordering them simply because I've got too much California wine in the cellar that needs consuming, but they are a super QPR.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:22 pm

Actually I think it was some combination of Carignan and Peloursin that was at the front of the flavor balance - definitely Rhonish. Zin for richness and cab for some structure to tie it all together. It really wasn't one of those wines that has pieces that you can sort out like taking apart a jigsaw puzzle, it was more all of a piece. Which is why I liked it.
It wasn't a case of one flavor or texture standing up to another, such as sometimes happens with Australian cab-shiraz for instance.
I'll have to ask again. I think David's cab vines are pretty old, but maybe not as old as Block 4 which dates from before Prohibition.

John
John in the wine county