The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 August West Chardonnay

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

WTN: 2005 August West Chardonnay

by Diane (Long Island) » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:16 pm

I don't drink much California Chardonnay....make that I don't drink California Chardonnay. Tonight's dinner was a fish stew from a Craig Claiborne cookbook that prefaced the recipe given to him by Pierre Franey, that they enjoyed this dish with bottle after bottle of California Chardonnay. Who am I to challenge these icons with my thoughts of Muscadet?

I own 3 (now 2) California Chardonnays, and I grabbed the one that was easiest to reach. I opened the bottle as the stew was simmering, poured myself a glass, and immediately poured another. It was delicious. No overt buttery oak. It was a little citrus on the nose, with a nutty and minerally palate. Acidity was well balanced making this a surprisingly delightful package. As I'm writing these notes a couple of hours after opening the bottle, the wine is turning creamy and becoming a little heavy, and not as punchy as when first opened. Back then (an hour and a half ago), it was one of the best California Chards I've had. Now, either it is, or I am, becoming tired. I never would have picked this wine to match the stew, but it was great with the dish.
Diane