The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: a Bubbly, a Chard, and a Beaucastel

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

WTN: a Bubbly, a Chard, and a Beaucastel

by John Tomasso » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:13 pm

2000 Hartley-Ostini Hitching Post Chardonnay Clos Pepe Vineyard (USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Rita Hills)

The Chard that won't die - this effort from the Clos Pepe vineyard is still alive and kicking.
Somewhat pale gold in the glass, the nose brings a hint of petrol mixed with grapefruit and pineapple. I can smell the lees.
Still some zing on the palate, though the acidity has moderated a bit. The wine made a nice match to a truffled lobster risotto.

1995 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape (France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape)

Opened too soon, this wine has miles to go. Very earthy, meaty scents - substantial in the mouth, with a fairly aggressive tannic finish.
Paired with rare rack of Australian lamb, the tannins were somewhat tamed and the wine smoothed out a bit.
While offering some enjoyment now, I really don't believe it is showing all of its charms. Five more years before I open another.

N.V. Jean Laurent Champagne Blanc de Noirs Brut (France, Champagne)

I like my bubbly brut, but, whoa. This was screechingly dry, with nothing to redeem it, and not at all how I remembered it.
Where's the body? Where's that toasty bread? What happened?
Perhaps this was due to bottle variation, but this wasn't showing well, at all.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: a Bubbly, a Chard, and a Beaucastel

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:39 am

Good to see these notes. I always think one should make some kind of reply, acknowledging the effort put out!
Interested in your petrol notes regarding the chard? Is this typical for aged chards from this area?
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:19 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Good to see these notes. I always think one should make some kind of reply, acknowledging the effort put out!
Interested in your petrol notes regarding the chard? Is this typical for aged chards from this area?

Not really. This Chard was a freak, produced from a block of grapes which has since been grafted over to Pinot Noir. I haven't really seen anything like it since.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:10 am

Jean Laurent has been moving to lower and lower dosage over the years. Some of those low dosage wines needed dosage to withstand any cellar time.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

David Glasser

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:51 am

Maryland

by David Glasser » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:10 pm

Thanks for the data point on the '95 Beaucastel. I've been starting in on the '94s this past year or two (they've nicely come into their own) and was wondering if it was time to pop one of the '95s. Think I will let them rest a while.