The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Château de la Dauphine, Fronsac

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Simon J

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:40 am

Quebec City

WTN: 2005 Château de la Dauphine, Fronsac

by Simon J » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:27 pm

2005 Château de la Dauphine (France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Fronsac) 02/01/2009

Purple/garnet colour, hardly any gradation of colour at the edge. My wife smelt steak off the bat ( I kind of agree). Vanilla/oak dark fruit are also on the nose with some herbes de Province lurking in the background. The palate is quite full and round with already integrated tannins, although I am sure this will be able to cellar for up to another four years.
I have followed this chateau since '89 and find that this is the most accessible wine that can be drunk young that I have had to date. Could change of ownership have something to do with it? Past vintages were able to be laid down and after about 4 years of dumbing down opened up again with a beautiful old Bordeaux type nose. I am not sure that this will do the same. I have the feeling this was made to satisfy the new world market and may have departed from previous vintages. Time will tell.
no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:28 am

Bordeaux

Re: WTN: 2005 Château de la Dauphine, Fronsac

by AlexR » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:35 am

Hi Simon,

This lovely château quite close to the town of Fronsac was bought by the family who own the Carrefour supermarket chain.

The wine is indeed good value for money.

Best regards,
Alex R.
no avatar
User

Simon J

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:40 am

Quebec City

by Simon J » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:25 am

Hi Alex,

It has been a while since we last 'spoke'.
Do you think the style of the wine has changed along with the ownership, or is that due to the 2005 vintage?

All the best,
Simon
no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:28 am

Bordeaux

by AlexR » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:26 pm

Hi Simon,

The Halley family took over in 2000.

They are one of the richest families in France and you can imagine how motivated they are to produce good wine!

Yes, the style has become better focused, more sleek and yes, within reason, more oaky.

They have a lovely Web site: http://www.chateau-dauphine.com/

All the best,
Alex