The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wines from Calabria, Italy...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JLorenzo

Rank

Cellar rat

Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:09 pm

Wines from Calabria, Italy...

by JLorenzo » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:42 pm

Hi all - I am new to the boards, so it is nice to meet everyone.

I have the rather unpleasant privledge in living in perhaps the most restrictive of the United States regarding the purchase of wine. That state would be Maryland. There have been a plethora of times when I have found a wine I wanted to try from California or Washington state that I simply couldn't order because of those laws.

I did some genealogy on my family and learned I am from southern Italy, a place called Calabria. They have plenty of wineries and some even offer to ship to you. However, I cannot order these wines because of those above mentioned laws. So, I am wondering if anyone on here knows how I could get my hands on these wines without breaking any laws?

Thanks!

-Josh
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

Re: Wines from Calabria, Italy...

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:56 pm

Hi, and welcome. I think that if you call around to retail wine stores in your area, you should find someone who carries something from Calabria (and just about any other area in the world you are interested in trying). Is there any particular reason that you're primarily interested in having something shipped to you versus trying to find it in a local store?
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:01 pm

Welcome to the forum! Could Maryland be any more restrictive than Oklahoma?
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

JLorenzo

Rank

Cellar rat

by JLorenzo » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:03 pm

Hi Robert - probably not!!! These state laws seem silly to me...but I admit to not knowing the reasons for them in this case...
no avatar
User

JLorenzo

Rank

Cellar rat

by JLorenzo » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:06 pm

Kyrstyn - Thanks for the reply. I have visited local stores but none of them, even the big ones carry anything from this region. I consider myself a pretty good investigator but that hasn't seemed to help me out in this case. On a website regarding Calabria they state, "while the wines of this region are not popular outside of the region..." That doesn't bode well does it?!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:19 pm

One issue is of course if clerks KNOW a wine is Calabrese. Only ones I know offhand are Ciro Rosso and Melissa, each from a variety of producers. A search for Ciro Rosso in Maryland shows State Line in Elkton and Well in Baltimore each carry one (no Melissa). Near either of those? You might try some of the other wines mentioned on the Calabria website on winesearcher.com, snooth.com, winezap.com, or other search engines.

Next easiest thing is of course trying an adjoining state or district (depending on where in Maryland you are). There are some excellent stores with big selectiosn in DC if you go there (MacArthur/Bassins, Calvert Woodley, some swear by Schneiders but I've never shopped there).

Last option is finding someone you visit in a less restrictive state, and purchase wines to be shipped.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:35 pm

Hmmmm, I may have been a little premature in assuming that these would be easier to find locally. I searched Calvert Woodley and Bassins online and only saw one at CW. I also checked Dino's wine book (Dino's is a local restaurant in DC that has a pretty extensive inventory of a variety of italian wines) and didn't see anything from that region!

Dale's suggestion regarding neighboring states is a good one.

Let us know how you fare in your search, and good luck!!
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

JLorenzo

Rank

Cellar rat

by JLorenzo » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:10 am

Dale - Thanks for the great information. I am much closer to D.C. than to Elkton so I will investigate this route. You guys are extremely helpful!
no avatar
User

JLorenzo

Rank

Cellar rat

by JLorenzo » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:11 pm

I got it! I was able to find Librandi Ciro Rosso (2004) in Springfield, VA. I drove out there (about 30 miles) at lunch and picked up the last two bottles! Thanks everyone for their advice...it helped me track this down. I'll let you know how it tastes!
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:27 pm

JLorenzo wrote:I got it! I was able to find Librandi Ciro Rosso (2004) in Springfield, VA. I drove out there (about 30 miles) at lunch and picked up the last two bottles! Thanks everyone for their advice...it helped me track this down. I'll let you know how it tastes!

Especially if you like that, you should try the Librandi Cirò Duca Sanfelice Riserva if you ever see it. 100% gaglioppo grapes! 1999 is the only vintage I've had. Nice wine and very good value.
Charles
Charles Weiss