The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Learning how to sell retail

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

Learning how to sell retail

by Dave Erickson » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:11 pm

Question for wine retailers: How did you learn to do it? Does anyone teach it? Are there books on the subject? I'm especially interested in "conventional" retail wine sales: Selling to people who walk into a store looking for something good to drink. I've been looking around the net, and there are plenty of stories about setting up online sales, plenty about being a distributor rep, and tons about product management...but not much about in-store retail sales. Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms? Gerald Weimax has some wonderful opinions about selling wine, but even he doesn't have much to say about hand-selling...

Thanks.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

Re: Learning how to sell retail

by David Creighton » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:41 am

several things occurr to me. first is that a lot depends on the laws in your state. are wines available in supermarkets? if so, you can set up your store specifically to give a different appeal. you might give up the gallo, fetzer, kj business and go for more unique stuff. here, the 'hand selling' is important.

If not, it might be wise to partly set up your store in the manner one would set up a supermarket but also having more specialty items mixed in. so people have to be able to find the popular brands quickly and easily and it would be silly to give up this big part of the business if you could have it. in such a store 'hand selling' is less important; but still may be necessary if you want that part of the business.

not everyone wants help of course. IF they do it depends on the sort of help they want.
i want a wine to take to a friends for dinner
i want advice on which of these two is most drinkable
what should i serve with xxxxxx
do you have any wines from xxxxx
how dry do you like your wines?

the first job is to find out what sort of parameters any advice needs to fit into. and finally, within the parameters of the particular customer, nothing beats 'i really love this wine'.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:25 am

In addition to knowledge, both of wine and retailing, how much of selling wine is appearances? For instance, I walk into the best shop near my home and am confronted with young guys in tee shirts and jeans: these guys are going to make recommendations? I wouldn't trust them. I've told the owner, Ben, that I would love to work in his shop when I retire in July. What I haven't told him is that I'd want to wear a tie and nice slacks and be responsible for the upscale wines. Without any retail experience, I feel confident that I would attract an older, wealthier class of wine buyers and practically pay for myself and increase his bottom line.
no avatar
User

Nathan Smyth

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:20 am

by Nathan Smyth » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:22 pm

With the proviso that I have never done any sales of more or less anything at all in my life, two items come to mind:

1) Your duty is to make sure that the customer's palate is satisfied - NOT that your ego is satisifed. In talking to your customers, narrow it down, real quickly: "Do you like red or white?" Then, "Do you like big wines or lean/thin/hard wines?" Finally, "About how much money do you want to spend?" My guess is that about 100% of your newbie customers will be wanting Marquis Philips/Mollydooker on the red side, and big, creamy, buttery, over-oaked Cal Chard on the white side. And if that's what they want, THEN GIVE IT TO THEM. If you want a different clientele than Marquis Philips/Mollydooker/over-oaked-Cal-chard, then you're going to have to put the sweat equity into recruiting [& educating] that different clientele.

2) Alan Greenspan's & Ben Bernanke's & Henry Paulson's & Bernard Madoff's & Barney Frank's & Herbert and Marion Sandler's theories to the contrary notwithstanding, people just can't purchase what they don't have the money to purchase. Which is to say: No matter how much you might want to sell your inventory to him, that bum lying in the gutter just doesn't have the disposable income to purchase diddly-squat from your store.

Pretty much the very first thing you learn in business is that you need to concentrate on the people who both have and are willing to part with the money necessary to purchase whatever it is that you're peddling.

Wasting your precious time on people who don't have any money to spend [or who, for whatever reason, are unwilling to part with their money] is gonna land you on a fast track to bankruptcy.
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:15 am

by Ed Draves » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:53 pm

Sell customer satisfaction and the wine will do itself. Of course customer satisfaction is a multifaceted art and science but always treat a newbie wine lover like you would like your best non wine loving friend treated and a wine loving customer how you would like to be treated and you got more than half the battle won.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:09 pm

Along the lines of what has already been said, I think it's important to not come across as arrogant, especially when selling to relative newbies. If you have time to share your knowledge and if you treat your customer with respect, you'll probably end up helping them to evolve and learn to appreciate different styles, once you've earned their trust.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:50 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:In addition to knowledge, both of wine and retailing, how much of selling wine is appearances? For instance, I walk into the best shop near my home and am confronted with young guys in tee shirts and jeans: these guys are going to make recommendations? I wouldn't trust them. I've told the owner, Ben, that I would love to work in his shop when I retire in July. What I haven't told him is that I'd want to wear a tie and nice slacks and be responsible for the upscale wines. Without any retail experience, I feel confident that I would attract an older, wealthier class of wine buyers and practically pay for myself and increase his bottom line.

I was in retail for many years, before going over to wholesale. Some points occur to me about your post; firstly, that the main problem with good wine is that people are intimidated by it, and dressing up isn't necessarily going to help with that; secondly, that I've never known a store where a given employee got to sell just one type of wine, I doubt that you'll be that helpful to them if you aren't prepared to pitch in (besides, a great source of customers for good wine is customers already buying mediocre wine).

On the plus side, independant retail shops are often run chaotically, so if you're organised and businesslike you might be able to make a big difference.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:32 pm

Good points, Oliver. I did not mean to convey that I would not pitch in selling anything in the shop as I certainly would. Also, I would not desire to add to any existing intimidation, either. But if badly dressed 22 year old with a tongue piercing one could almost pass a split of champagne through offers advice, I'm inclined to not pay attention; perhaps it’s just me.
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:04 pm

Nathan Smyth wrote:Wasting your precious time on people who don't have any money to spend [or who, for whatever reason, are unwilling to part with their money] is gonna land you on a fast track to bankruptcy.

Nathan, Hi......

It can be pretty difficult at times to know just who has and who doesn't have the money to spend and just who is willing to part with it. Keep in mind the scene from "Pretty Woman" (sexist film but point well made) when tJulia Roberts as a slutty looking young woman walks into a store and is rejected even though she has a virtually unlimited amount of cash to spend. Not every potential high roller is going to live up to your dress code when they enter a wine shop.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:14 pm

Don't mind Nathan - his bitter filter and sense of entitlement filter are not working today.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:01 pm

Oliver is quite correct. In my retail experience I was never asked "what is a good XXXX?"; but rather 100% of the time I was asked "what goes with YYYY?".
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:52 pm

So Nathan, Carl, and Oliver clearly have been out on the floor. Anybody else? I'm not looking for advice on retailing--I'm looking for folks like me who do it for a living. How did you learn to do it?
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:44 pm

Dave, I think you need to be more specific. Are you thinking about opening a store or working in one? Exactly what kind of store; wine only, wine & beer, or a full fledged package store?

As I had indicated, the most important thing you need to know about selling wine (IMHO) is to know how to match wine with food. You have been around here long enough to get a good feel for this. There are many sites online devoted to this subject to broaden your knowledge.

Cheers, Carl
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:15 am

by Ed Draves » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:33 pm

Dave Erickson wrote:So Nathan, Carl, and Oliver clearly have been out on the floor. Anybody else? I'm not looking for advice on retailing--I'm looking for folks like me who do it for a living. How did you learn to do it?

Been in the floor 18 years and I learned by paying attention to the multitude of people who came before me and by listening to the customers. Don't kid yourself, it is all about customer satisfaction.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:51 am

Carl Eppig wrote:Dave, I think you need to be more specific. Are you thinking about opening a store or working in one? Exactly what kind of store; wine only, wine & beer, or a full fledged package store?

As I had indicated, the most important thing you need to know about selling wine (IMHO) is to know how to match wine with food. You have been around here long enough to get a good feel for this. There are many sites online devoted to this subject to broaden your knowledge.

Cheers, Carl

I'm in the business, Carl. I've got some ideas of my own about what makes a good retail wine salesperson, and specifically about all the things a good salesperson does to achieve what Ed is talking about. I'm thinking about putting together a kind of retail wine knowledge database (this might be a book, might be a website, might be something else I can't imagine yet...). I'd like to interview a bunch of people who do this for a living, who know not only how to size up a customer's desires and intentions, but also the hundreds of little details that make the business go. (Quick example: When do you re-stock a stack? When the top tray is empty? When there are two bottles left? Three? More? Why?)
no avatar
User

Nathan Smyth

Rank

Ultra geek

by Nathan Smyth » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:51 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:
Nathan Smyth wrote:Wasting your precious time on people who don't have any money to spend [or who, for whatever reason, are unwilling to part with their money] is gonna land you on a fast track to bankruptcy.

Nathan, Hi......

It can be pretty difficult at times to know just who has and who doesn't have the money to spend and just who is willing to part with it. Keep in mind the scene from "Pretty Woman" (sexist film but point well made) when tJulia Roberts as a slutty looking young woman walks into a store and is rejected even though she has a virtually unlimited amount of cash to spend. Not every potential high roller is going to live up to your dress code when they enter a wine shop.

Best
Rogov

Go back and read what I said - not what you thought I said.

I didn't say to concentrate on customers according to how they are DRESSED - I said to concentrate on customers who HAVE MONEY and who are WILLING TO PART WITH THEIR MONEY.

If your only contact is with people who have no money, or with people who have money but are unwilling to part with their money, then you will go bankrupt just as soon as your seed capital expires.

The best book I ever read on fishing emphasized [over and over again] the fundamental point that all the flies and lures and bait and gazillion-dollar rods & reels & boats & motors won't do a darned bit of good if there aren't any fish in the pond where you've chosen to cast.

Same thing is true of any form of sales [or business in general] - first and foremost, you have to find the people who have the money - then after you've found them, you can start dangling the fancy lures in front of their noses - but until you've found them, the bankruptcy clock is just ticking away.
no avatar
User

Nathan Smyth

Rank

Ultra geek

by Nathan Smyth » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:01 pm

Dave Erickson wrote:(Quick example: When do you re-stock a stack? When the top tray is empty? When there are two bottles left? Three? More? Why?)

In general, that would be inventory management, not sales [unless you're such a tiny shop that the salesman doubles as the inventory manager].
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:30 pm

Nathan, Hi.....

We're not really disagreeing. I'll be the first to agree that opening a fine wine shop (or a fine leather, or book, or chocolate shop) to which those who enter have no cash or no desire to part with their cash is the best paving stone to the bankruptcy courts.

I suppose my point is more to the effect that one has to size up one's potential clients and then to stock what it is that they want or what you believe you can sell them. I can name wine and "liquor shops owners in New York, Boston, San Francisco, Paris, London, Tel Aviv, and Veneto that have gotten quite wealthy by selling only the cheapest and worst wines made. I can also site stores in which if you had even a single bottle of those wines you would be scorned.

Perhaps I am wrong, but it seems that the attitude "know thine enemy" is not the wisest route to walk. That would be "know thine potential client". And once you know that client, to realize that you should never pander to them but should be an honest merchant, offering both what they know they want and what you think they might want.

Forgive me if I have been in the role of critic, and thus an advocate for both wineries and consumers, for many years, but it seems that the very best bet might be once you know that clientele to walk in their footsteps and ask what you would want were the circumstances reversed.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:02 pm

Nathan Smyth wrote:
Dave Erickson wrote:(Quick example: When do you re-stock a stack? When the top tray is empty? When there are two bottles left? Three? More? Why?)

In general, that would be inventory management, not sales [unless you're such a tiny shop that the salesman doubles as the inventory manager].

Which proves you know very, very little about retail sales, Nathan. Dave is not talking about inventory management; he's talking about the oft-discussed theories of what stimulates a sale at "point-of-purchase" (which is not at the cash register, but at the point where the buying decision is made).

Different people have different ideas. The 'neat freak' (also known as the anal retentive compulsive) insists that the top tray of a display be filled neatly at all times so as to keep the display "pretty". Then there's the other idea, let's call it the herd instinct, which says you should pull out at least two to three bottles from the top tray to suggest that other shoppers have eagerly snatched up this incredible bargain, and you should too before it's all gone!

The more advanced theorists even go so far as to place a competitive product in a partially depleted tray, suggesting a previous buyer has been so impressed by the sale item that he has put the bottle he had already picked up on the tray so he could snatch off this incredible bargain.

Then there's the different theories about end-caps, waterfalls, side-stacks, single stacks, wraparounds, bunkers, islands, standing racks, coffin racks, etc., etc. There's the chaos theory about close-out bins. Very deep psychology involved there, and many opinions abound.

There was one small chain in my previous life that became famous as a close-out/marginal merchandise store. They had fairly standard stock on the shelves, but anything on the floor...and usually that meant the most rudimentary of displays, case stacks with cut top boxes and the bottles all jumbled up in the top box---was either distressed merchandise that may have been old, unsold previous vintage, possibly heat damaged, stained labels, distributor overstock, or any other reason why the distributor wanted to get rid of the inventory. The buyer in that store quite often figured it was worth taking a chance----despite knowing there was some kind of problem with the merchandise else it would not be there in the first place! They figured, what with the ridiculously cheap prices, they might well come out ahead if they could get a couple of passable bottles out of a mass buy!

Proximity location is important too. As is cross-merchandising. When I was in retail, I could tell you exactly where I wanted a particular item to go to drive higher volume (all depending on an intricate mixture of price, type, proximity, flow, blah blah blah). This made my younger workers hold me in respect for my seemingly magical powers, when it was just experience and observation talking.

Now shelf strategy is an entirely different creature, with a whole 'nother set of 'rules' and theories. Not just the volume shelf against the reach shelf, top and bottom. Or the price-based set. Heck, the theories about top shelf (dead zone or high-end luxury?) alone are legion.

And more often than not, unless it's a chain store, and even then, "inventory management" is the primary responsiblity of the sales manager/owner. Even then, when I supervised stores, and did the advertising, and pushed shipments in, and set up display programs, I still allowed a certain amount of individual store discretion of what went on the floor, figuring the manager's A) knew there store better than I did and B) needed to have a feeling of input and involvement in what went on in "their" place.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:08 pm

One of the things I have seen (and my folks have seen at the small shop where they work part time) is that people will almost never take the last bottle of a given wine. It's just like the last donut or last piece of pizza.

So I guess those bottles should either get some new friends (i.e. another case of the same wine stocked with it) or head for a bin-end basket.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:36 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:One of the things I have seen (and my folks have seen at the small shop where they work part time) is that people will almost never take the last bottle of a given wine. It's just like the last donut or last piece of pizza.

So I guess those bottles should either get some new friends (i.e. another case of the same wine stocked with it) or head for a bin-end basket.

Yep. No one wants to pick up the last bottle in the tray, David. I usually restocked when it got down to less than half. My exception would be with the single-stack case displays. Those I would let get down to two or three, since the implication was that A) the wine was popular and was selling quickly, and B) there were only a few bottles left so there was a chance they'd all be gone soon.

On another tack, in one of my best stores with high-end clientele I had a rule that the Champagne rack could never show more than two bottles of Dom Perignon. I might have a couple of cases in the back room, but only two bottles could be visible, max. The importer had performed its marketing plan so well to make people (including a lot of retailers) think that DP was rare and in constant short supply, which was usually not the reality, just the marketing scheme, that I gladly went along with it.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:54 pm

I think the better question would be: What makes a good retailer?

1. A basic knowledge of the subject, and the eager willingness to learn anything and everything you can to increase your knowledge and understanding of wine. Of the two, the latter is far more important than the former. The eager willingness to learn means you have a love of wine---which is very, very different from a love of particular wines. It also means that you are open, wide open, to picking up knowledge from any and every source and opportunity. For instance, books are good; tastings are good; map reading is good; being exposed to experts is good; but listening to any customer (from mundane to the height of winegeekery) is good as well, for that leads to requirement #2.

2. A basic empathy with people, or to put it another way, an interest in 'reading' people and accepting them. (The acceptance is crucial.) If you have #1 and #2, you have the potential to be a very good wine retailer.

When I gave basic intro training to new hires for the retail chain I worked for, I used to begin by standing in the back of a fairly large store with the trainee and having him observe as people came into the store, and noticing when a customer was acknowledged, approached, worked with, and taken to the point of sale. We would kibitz while watching, and then do an 'after-action' discussion. Said trainee got an idea of how some of the experienced sales people worked, and how customers responded---and how the sales person would react to that.

When a customer walks into a store (we're supposing new customer here, either for the store or the sales person), a relationship is entered into. A good sales person does an instant and empathic 'read' of the customer and attempts to respond (This isn't, as some people think, crass hustling. Far from it). With a really good sales person what happens is usually not even at the conscious level; it's more automatic action and reaction. And if wrong assumptions are made, not a problem, because you then respond to the information and adjust your response accordingly. The main thing is, you are focused on the customer.

At that point, you can get a feeling for what the customer wants/needs and how you can respond to those needs. Sometimes it is just reassurance or permission. Sometimes it is guidance. Sometimes it is deeper knowledge. Sometimes it is to be introduced to the magic of wine. Sometimes it's being left alone. What it isn't?: belittling, condescension, arrogance (although that sometimes will be allowed by the customer if done well, but since it is a form of dominance games, you'd better be damned careful or damned good at knowing when to do it), imposition of your preferences and tastes on their preferences and tastes, and pedantic pettifoggery (the key is the eyes glazing over or constant fidgeting as if they desperately have to go to the bathroom---it means they desperately need to get away from this idiot know-it-all). In other words, read the customer and know how to respond.

If a customer walks in and you ask "May I help you?" and he says, "I need a bottle of Kendall-Jackson Chardonnay", the first thing you do is take him to the section, pick up a bottle of K-J, and put it in his hand. Then, and only then, can you say or do anything else, like casually recommend another wine, or ask him if he's ever had a French version of Chardonnay, or "If you like K-J, I have another wine that you might like. It's a couple of dollars more expensive, but then it's marked down quite a bit from a much higher price, so it's a pretty good deal." I once had a salesman say, "Hey, I've got a waaaay better wine than that stuff," and try to steer him to a more expensive item. The guy almost didn't last out the day, as he spent it totally in the cold box keeping the beer fronted in the windows. We had words...well, I had words, anyway. He mostly listened. (He got better with training and attitude adjustment.)

Had another guy who I hired part time, mostly to do clean up at night. Turns out just mopping the floor he was a better salesperson than most of the salespeople I had, even though he knew relatively little about fine wine. Why? He listened, and he responded. And he would occasionally say, if he thought the customer might be interested, that he might want to take a look at that wine in the front display, the one that was marked down, but sure was flying off the shelf it was so popular, and the wine guy told him it was pretty similar to the one he had in his hand."

So being a good retailer isn't all that difficult: just combine a vast knowledge of the subject (wine) with the skills of an exceptionally good psychologist, and be willling to do it for pitiful sums of money in return. :D

There's lots more, of course, but that's pretty much the gist of it. If you're good, you'll develop a loyal following, and at the same time, find yourself getting better and better at knowing your subject (you'll find you will begin to require it of yourself, interestingly enough).

Jon, as to your avowed interest in joining the particular store you mentioned, as Oliver said, there's danger there. If you have the attitude you seem to have (although I doubt you really do; I put it up to a brief comment and I’m sure there’s more to it), you won't be very popular with the rest of the crew, that's for sure. And you might be surprised how the owner might react, as you're looking to change the relationship of customer to one of a guy trying to tell him how to run his business while expecting to be paid for doing what you want to do selectively.

He might not be able to afford you. I don't mean the basic pay. I mean the attitude. Maybe those guys in t-shirts are there because they are the best ones he can get for the money, since 'sales person' more often than not means 'manual worker who moves hundreds of cases around and then waits on customers when he has the time'. In that instance, ask yourself what the more important function is to the owner.

Also ask yourself what the store is there for; what clientele is the primary source of revenue; and how much you can realistically add to sales given the customer base.

A well organized store operation can tell you exactly what they make from each category or section...sometimes sliced and diced by price points too. And you might be surprised at the results. There are some very good fine wine stores I know of that subsist off of cola, beer, and jug wine sales---without them, the store would not exist in that location with that fine wine inventory possible. In the case of wine stores alone, the base of the business is more likely to be the standard name brands rather than the Grand Cru. (One of my early bosses in retail once opened my eyes by informing me he deeply resented 'fine wine', because it required him to spend 80% of his time on 20% of his business.)

Also ask yourself if "selling up" is what the boss wants done. Most of us think that is the prime motive of a retailer---but sometimes it isn't; sometimes selling up puts you right out of your customer base, and then you end up with insufficient base and insufficient revenue to sustain your business.

Finally, if you go in to this with the idea that you're there to "sell the really good stuff", I as an employer would be reluctant to hire you. Would you be willing (and able) to haul 300-400 cases a day of product, build three or four displays of multiple cases, mop the floor, restock the cold box, ring up sales, close out the register, work early hours and late hours, be on call when needed to help out, work every single holiday period, work nights, deal with surly, bad tempered customers, apprehend shoplifters, clean up broken bottles, swamp out the restroom, and perhaps endure robberies???

On the other hand, if you offered the owner/boss to work on spec, or even better, to work on some sort of consignment base, or percentage of increase over a certain price range, you might have a different situation.

Despite what you may believe at this point in my overlong dissertation, I don't really want to dissuade you from going in to retail. God knows we need better people overall; this could be a perfect situation for you; and you might get the best of all worlds. But if you go into this with the idea that the customers are going to automatically flock to you so you can fill them to the brim with your knowledge and love of wine----well, it usually doesn't work that way. I loved retail, totally loved it. But a lot of people don't; even with good paying jobs (and most aren’t good paying), there is an awful lot of frustration involved, and some people just aren't cut out for it. And oddly enough, a lot of the people who are most passionate about wine don't turn out to be all that good at selling it; they just want to tell you about what they want to tell you about (themselves and what they like).
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:42 pm

MY point, btw, was that you learn to sell wine by knowing what actually sells the wine. of course we all believe that WE sell the wine; when in fact more often than not, the setting sells the wine. eye level ALWAYS sells better than bottom shelf. display wine ALWAYS sells better than shelf stock. the question maybe ought to be 'IF you get a chance to TRY to sell a bottle of wine to a customer, what works?' my original point was that 'I like it' works as well as anything. then again, i once explained to a couple about the noble mold and sauterne. they couldn't wait to serve it to their friends. 'the story' is also important. there are lots of 'styles' and noone should try to be something they aren't; or learn a 'technique'. it either comes naturally or it doesn't.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:26 pm

David Creighton wrote:MY point, btw, was that you learn to sell wine by knowing what actually sells the wine. of course we all believe that WE sell the wine; when in fact more often than not, the setting sells the wine. eye level ALWAYS sells better than bottom shelf. display wine ALWAYS sells better than shelf stock. the question maybe ought to be 'IF you get a chance to TRY to sell a bottle of wine to a customer, what works?' my original point was that 'I like it' works as well as anything. then again, i once explained to a couple about the noble mold and sauterne. they couldn't wait to serve it to their friends. 'the story' is also important. there are lots of 'styles' and noone should try to be something they aren't; or learn a 'technique'. it either comes naturally or it doesn't.

David this is a bit off track, yet applicable (I think). During the years I worked for the National Weather Service I saw the inauguration of what was called NOAA Weather Radio, or NWR. None of us were broadcasters, had never done any broadcasting, yet we all woke up one day to be a broadcaster. In most instances we wrote the script as well as broadcasting (taping for broadcast). My point is that I would say that with most of us it was very apparent that there was a script, and the broadcaster was reading it. I tried to adopt the attitude of speaking into the microphone as if I was speaking to a friend explaining what was happening or going to happen with the local weather. (being conversational) It seemed to me that the more natural I sounded, the more likely people would pay attention to what I was saying. Applying this to selling wine, I think it says that we talk to the customer about the wine he or she is asking about or is considering. The more technical or authoritative we sound the more we will be "reading the script".
Last edited by Bob Henrick on Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Henrick
Next