The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

One more day of wine....

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

One more day of wine....

by Bob Henrick » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:20 pm

then I a going to "try" to go on the wagon. My goal is to see if I can drop 10 pounds without really counting calories, yet cut down on eating anyway. I admit to often way too often, killing a complete bottle a day and I suspect that the absence of those 600 calories will eventually make a difference. I hope so anyway. This is not a formal resolution, but close to it.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: One more day of wine....

by David M. Bueker » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:23 pm

Good luck Bob.

I am not going to try to cut out wine, but rather cut back a little on consumption & cut back a lot on buying. We'll see how it goes.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:40 pm

Thanks David. Happy New years to you and yours. As to the cutting down, I will take it a day at a time. My immediate goal is to lose 10 pounds. if that occurs, I will reset the goal to lose another 10 pounds etc.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:56 pm

Good luck Bob. I went on the wagon a year or two ago for about six months. I didn't do it to lose weight, I just felt it was time to take a break from wine.

It was kind of strange drinking milk with my evening meal, but it wasn't as difficult as I had thought it would be.
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:06 pm

I didn't want to cut back on eating or drinking despite my slowing middle-aged metabolism. So a few years ago I bought a great bicycle, like the one I always wanted when I was younger but could never afford. This year I did 5500 miles and never felt better (at least physically).
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:33 pm

Joe Moryl wrote:I didn't want to cut back on eating or drinking despite my slowing middle-aged metabolism. So a few years ago I bought a great bicycle, like the one I always wanted when I was younger but could never afford. This year I did 5500 miles and never felt better (at least physically).

I tried that too, but I found I spilled too much wine. :roll:
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:43 pm

Bruce Hayes wrote:
Joe Moryl wrote:I didn't want to cut back on eating or drinking despite my slowing middle-aged metabolism. So a few years ago I bought a great bicycle, like the one I always wanted when I was younger but could never afford. This year I did 5500 miles and never felt better (at least physically).

LOL
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:41 pm

Bruce Hayes wrote:

Next time try a Camelback!
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:45 am

Bob,
Good luck to you.
This year instead of losing 15lbs., I will resolve to grow 2 inches taller.
Cheers,
BP
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Andrew Burge

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:21 am

Brisbane Australia

by Andrew Burge » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:39 pm

Bob, I did exactly what you're planning two years ago. The formula that worked for me was:

Alcohol on weekends only
Sweet treats on weekends only
Reduce portion sizes
Get to the gym
Run a lot.

I lost 26 pounds over 6 months (but have since given 8 back) and despite middle age setting in I have never been fitter in my life.

Good luck - it can be done!

Andrew
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:37 pm

Andrew Burge wrote:Bob, I did exactly what you're planning two years ago. The formula that worked for me was:

Alcohol on weekends only
Sweet treats on weekends only
Reduce portion sizes
Get to the gym
Run a lot.

I lost 26 pounds over 6 months (but have since given 8 back) and despite middle age setting in I have never been fitter in my life.

Good luck - it can be done!

Andrew

Hello Andrew, it's been a while since you were here regularly. If I can pull it off I will not open a bottle during January, and I will be very sensible about calories consumed. If by the end of Jan I have lost 10 or even close to 10, pounds, I will reset the goal to lose 20 overall, and continue the regimen. I think 10 pound goals set multiple times might be easier to do than a whopping 30 at the beginning. About the exercise, I will have to see what I can do, because middle age is not setting in here as I bid a fond farewell to it years ago. We shall see what we shall see, but I can be stubborn when I want to be. :wink:
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:46 am

600 calories in a bottle of wine? Wow. I know there have been threads on this before but is there significant variation in calorie content across different bottles. I.E. bottles with more alcohol, sugar, etc?
no avatar
User

Andrew Burge

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:21 am

Brisbane Australia

by Andrew Burge » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:27 am

Rahsaan wrote:600 calories in a bottle of wine? Wow. I know there have been threads on this before but is there significant variation in calorie content across different bottles. I.E. bottles with more alcohol, sugar, etc?

I've seen 500 to 600 calories quoted for dry reds and whites with "normal" alcohol content. 450 for lower alcohol whites, although I'm assuming dry in this case as well.

I've also seen 320 calories quoted for 750ml of standard beer at 4.5 to 5% alcohol.

Hello Andrew, it's been a while since you were here regularly.

The vagaries of my job unfortunately. November and December weren't kind to my spare time, and I didn't post a great deal on the Australian boards either :-(

Cheers

Andrew
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:22 am

All the evidence shows that this kind of fit and start diet approach doesn't work. you promist yourself denial, but in the end you won't be denied.

The best solution is to just eat and drink a little less of everything, and try to make intelligent choices of what you eat and when. And slow down when eating so you can recognize when you are sated.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Bob Noland

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:32 pm

Chardon, Ohio

by Bob Noland » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:20 pm

[quote="Bob Henrick"]My goal is to see if I can drop 10 poundsquote]

I am going for 15 Lbs. The holidays, then a few days of get togethers with the other Noland brothers which ended yesterday has me changing gears also. I did 10 miles on the bike and then 3 walking today to start the process. No wine after yesterday's Viva la Espana wine tasting along with Spanish Rose and Albarino with Paella. Good luck, we will have to compare notes in a while...
To do is to be. - Socrates
To be is to do. - Jean-Paul Sartre, Plato
Do-be-do-be-do. Frank Sinatra
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:07 pm

Bob Noland wrote:I am going for 15 Lbs. The holidays, then a few days of get togethers with the other Noland brothers which ended yesterday has me changing gears also. I did 10 miles on the bike and then 3 walking today to start the process. No wine after yesterday's Viva la Espana wine tasting along with Spanish Rose and Albarino with Paella. Good luck, we will have to compare notes in a while...

Comparison is a good thing Bob. I don't intend to weigh for a couple weeks but after that maybe once per week. My goal is 10 pounds but the goal gets reset for another 10 once the goal is reached. I can't imagine you or James needing to lose any weight, and I am NOT saying anything else about any Noland! :-)
Bob Henrick