The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

What are you ringing in the new year with?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

What are you ringing in the new year with?

by Jenise » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:54 pm

The title says it all: when midnight comes (or came, as some of you are already there), what will be/was in your glass?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: What are you ringing in the new year with?

by David M. Bueker » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:59 pm

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I might still be drinking 1996 Duval-Leroy Blanc de Chardonnay when midnight is somewhere over the Mid-Atlantic Ocean.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:00 pm

Prosecco before midnight. I hope to be sawing logs when the new year hits.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Jashue

Rank

Cellar rat

Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:38 am

by Jashue » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:04 pm

Just now I was poking around the cellar to see what I had to suit me for this evening. I have a few very special bottles down there, but given I wont be ringing in the new year with anyone special, I think that I'll be saving them for another time.

What I did find, however, was a bottle that I have no memory of ever purchasing. In fact, I've never even heard of the producer in question, "Jacquesson". The bottle I have is Cuvee No 731. Tanzer gave it a 91, I see. The Spectator gave it an 88. There is no review from Parker. I'm curious to know if anyone here has any familiarity with this wine.

Odd that I have no recollection of buy this stuff. Usually I have a very keen idea of what's downstairs and if I'm ever surprised it's because I've drank something without making a better mental note of it. This is a much cooler surprise!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:10 pm

I had the Jacquesson 732 last week. Good stuff. Haven't had the 731 recently, but their wines are very good and quite reliable.
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:15 pm

Been on a Portuguese kick lately so we might try the Luis Pato Bruto Vinho Espumante made from Maria Gomes. A few weeks back we had the Baga Rose Espumante from the same producer and it was a delightful wine.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:48 pm

I am bringing a good but not prized bottle, the 1999 Charles Ellner Cuvee Prestige to a party. Not the time to bring the truly great bottle, as it'll be a big party and I might get a small pour.

Also carrying a NV Pinon rose that I'm really looking forward to, plus whatever's left of the Cotat we're drinking now, a bottle of Fleurie, etc. But the Ellner is the midnight wine.

Jacquesson is a very good producer. A friend who knows more about Champagne than I told me they use more older wine than most NVs. I really loved the 728 & I think 729
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:08 pm

Joe Moryl wrote:Been on a Portuguese kick lately so we might try the Luis Pato Bruto Vinho Espumante made from Maria Gomes. A few weeks back we had the Baga Rose Espumante from the same producer and it was a delightful wine.

Pato rocks, have a sparkler here ready to go too! Happy New Year.
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:20 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:
Joe Moryl wrote:Been on a Portuguese kick lately so we might try the Luis Pato Bruto Vinho Espumante made from Maria Gomes. A few weeks back we had the Baga Rose Espumante from the same producer and it was a delightful wine.

Pato rocks, have a sparkler here ready to go too! Happy New Year.

Just spent a frigid afternoon poking around wineshops in Newark's Ironbound (Portuguese area)and gorging on a warming casserole of suckling pig, beans and cabbage (accompanied by an $8 half bottle of Dao). Was hoping to find the Pato Touriga Nacional espumante, but no luck. Have you ever tried that one?

Feliz Ano Novo!
no avatar
User

Patti L

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:22 am

Iowa

by Patti L » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:30 am

I've been working on a 2001 Cosentino Cabernet Sauvignon this evening. I'm wishing I had more bottles of this.
Patti
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:04 am

Patti L wrote:I've been working on a 2001 Cosentino Cabernet Sauvignon this evening. I'm wishing I had more bottles of this.

So, do you have a TN? Happy New Year.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:47 am

Jashue wrote:What I did find, however, was a bottle that I have no memory of ever purchasing. In fact, I've never even heard of the producer in question, "Jacquesson". The bottle I have is Cuvee No 731. Tanzer gave it a 91, I see. The Spectator gave it an 88. There is no review from Parker. I'm curious to know if anyone here has any familiarity with this wine.

... This is a much cooler surprise!

Even more so because by now you know how splendid Jacquesson bubblies are! It's a brand I buy without question whenever I see it, however I'm rarely lucky enough to run across it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:53 am

I've caught some crappy cold. Day before, I'd planned to pop a Krug. By the next morning, I downgraded my sights to a 98 Henriot Brut Milliseme. By afternoon, a NV Loire bubble seemed more in line with my tasting faculties, and by the time it was time to open a bottle I had already gone to bed with nothing more than a glass of water. I don't know who gave me this cold, but somebody owes me!
no avatar
User

Steve Kirsch

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:53 pm

Detroit, MI

by Steve Kirsch » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:11 am

I drank mostly beer as we played cards, shot pool and chatted before midnight. Then we opened a bottle of 1995 Dom Perignon and a 2000 (I think) Ch. Fortia Ch-du-Pape, both of which were OK, not great. Today I'll drink beer while watching the Wings-Hawks outdoor game (from Wrigley Field) on TV.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:20 am

Jenise wrote:I've caught some crappy cold. Day before, I'd planned to pop a Krug. By the next morning, I downgraded my sights to a 98 Henriot Brut Milliseme. By afternoon, a NV Loire bubble seemed more in line with my tasting faculties, and by the time it was time to open a bottle I had already gone to bed with nothing more than a glass of water. I don't know who gave me this cold, but somebody owes me!

:(
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:16 am

Stay up watching not just indifferent but really bad TV until midnight local time when the idiot box shows you a flashy geegaw that is supposed to mean something and try to have you ignore the fact that it was taped in New York hours before?

I think not. Better to get some sleep and awake to thoughts of wines to come in the brand new year.
no avatar
User

Glenn Mackles

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:52 am

Virginia

by Glenn Mackles » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:23 pm

I broke one of my rules... I bought and drank too good a bottle of wine. There are lots of reasons why I shouldn't drink bottles that are just too good, including but not limited to cost, spoiling myself, increasing dissatisfaction with "regular" wines, and fueling my ever growing addictions. Oh woe is me... I gladly shared a bottle of Taittinger Comtes De Champagne 1995 Blanc de Blancs with my love and co-conspirator. It was wonderful. It was everything champage should be. The fruit offset the yeasty body perfectly. It was complex and simple all at once ... the only word is delicious. It went down way too easy. It disappeared way too fast. It's going to be a long time before I forget that one. Ohh... the non-vintages we usually drink will seem so pale and simple....

Happy New Year to all!

Glenn
"If you can find something everyone agrees on, it's wrong." Mo Udall
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:48 pm

We went over to some friends nearby and had a 1999 Andrew Will Merlot "Ciel du Cheval" from the Horse Heaven Yineyard that was excellent and a Virginia Riesling named Rockbridge, same name as the town I live near and it was quite enjoyable too. Played euchre and enjoyed a very dry Prosecco (too dry for my tastes) to ring in the New Year. I had brought a NV Lucien Albrecht Brut Rose as our sparkler but did not open it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:56 pm

Jim Grow wrote:We went over to some friends nearby and had a 1999 Andrew Will Merlot "Ciel du Cheval" from the Horse Heaven Yineyard that was excellent and a Virginia Riesling named Rockbridge, same name as the town I live near and it was quite enjoyable too. Played euchre and enjoyed a very dry Prosecco (too dry for my tastes) to ring in the New Year. I had brought a NV Lucien Albrecht Brut Rose as our sparkler but did not open it.

Jim, never heard of a Prosecco that was "too dry". Which one was it, do you remember?
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:26 pm

It was just me, myself and I, so we opened a NV Vega Barcelona Cava. Refreshingly dry, apples and a hint of lemon. I managed about 2 glasses before it went to my head and I went off to bed.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:40 pm

Hope you are feeling better, Jenise...!!!!

And I agree on the Jacquesson.. It rarely disappoints, is reasonably priced (for a Champagne....) but I also don't see it as often as I'd like. So, I drink Duval-Leroy.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:02 pm

Jenise wrote:The title says it all: when midnight comes (or came, as some of you are already there), what will be/was in your glass?

We rang it in with about 100 good friends at a reception, where Mary and I were in charge of the buffet and went middle-of-the-road with no Champers but a mixed case of two very nice Proseccos in the $12 range: Mionetto Valdobbiadene Prosecco Brut (featured in the Dec. 31^H^H 30 Wine Advisor), and a similar cousin, Il Follo Prosecco Colli Trevigiani IGT "Cuvée Rustot". Good friends, a table of really decent potluck finger foods (including ample cold shrimp) and an early evening, home at 7:30 with a little leftover Il Follo for a quiet New Year at home, and so to bed, nice and early for a bright-eyed and bushy-tailed wakeup this morning. Makes sense to me!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:26 pm

Doug Surplus wrote:It was just me, myself and I, so we opened a NV Vega Barcelona Cava. Refreshingly dry, apples and a hint of lemon. I managed about 2 glasses before it went to my head and I went off to bed.

Good, you've got more for today then. :) Doug, I just remembered on seeing your post that I owe you some curry powder. Will get it off this week, I promise.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:30 pm

James Dietz wrote:Hope you are feeling better, Jenise...!!!!

And I agree on the Jacquesson.. It rarely disappoints, is reasonably priced (for a Champagne....) but I also don't see it as often as I'd like. So, I drink Duval-Leroy.

Maybe now that they're not drinking so much bubbly in New York, London and Hong Kong, there will be more for the left coast. :) We can only hope! The last bottle I purchased was in Vancouver, and before that, some from Garagiste. Used to buy it at Hi Times, I guess--not sure, only know that like most good bubbly it's a problem to locate up here.

So what did you and the lovely Lorena drink last night? (Help me out here, Dr. Jim, for I must live vicariously.)
Next