The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Nigl basic GV

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 2004 Nigl basic GV

by Dale Williams » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:34 am

With some sage-garlic marinated pork chops*, corn, and a pasta-herb salad, the 2004 Nigl Kremser Freiheit Grüner Veltliner. Green apple fruit with a little grapefruit, crisply acidic with a nice slatey/flinty mineral finish. As it opens up a bit of pea and pepper. Nice value at $14, and the stelvin means no TCA worries. B+/B

* separate post on FLDG

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: 2004 Nigl basic GV

by Saina » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:54 pm

Dale Williams wrote:With some sage-garlic marinated pork chops*, corn, and a pasta-herb salad, the 2004 Nigl Kremser Freiheit Grüner Veltliner. Green apple fruit with a little grapefruit, crisply acidic with a nice slatey/flinty mineral finish. As it opens up a bit of pea and pepper. Nice value at $14, and the stelvin means no TCA worries. B+/B

I like Nigl. But in these parts we don't see it as often as some other Austrians. But I did recently get a taste of the 04 Alte Reben GV which was pretty damn nice! It was at a tasting so I have no idea if that was under stelvin also, but anyone who uses stelvin and makes such lovable wines I am willing to support whole heartedly :)
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

robs_r

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:31 am

by robs_r » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:13 am

I like Nigl. But in these parts we don't see it as often as some other Austrians. But I did recently get a taste of the 04 Alte Reben GV which was pretty damn nice! It was at a tasting so I have no idea if that was under stelvin also, but anyone who uses stelvin and makes such lovable wines I am willing to support whole heartedly Smile

Hi Otto!

The Alte Reben GV in 04 was not under Stelvin, as far as I know, 2005 is the first vintage with screwcaps at the "lower end" for Nigl.
Two bottles of GV Alte Reben '04 and GV '04 Senftenberger Piri each are slumbering in my cellar. I am sure they are doing well!

Regards, Robert

PS: Nigl is a great visit, Senftenberg is very nice.
Robert Ruzitschka
Vienna, Austria
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:43 am

robs_r wrote:
I like Nigl. But in these parts we don't see it as often as some other Austrians. But I did recently get a taste of the 04 Alte Reben GV which was pretty damn nice! It was at a tasting so I have no idea if that was under stelvin also, but anyone who uses stelvin and makes such lovable wines I am willing to support whole heartedly Smile

Hi Otto!

The Alte Reben GV in 04 was not under Stelvin, as far as I know, 2005 is the first vintage with screwcaps at the "lower end" for Nigl.
Two bottles of GV Alte Reben '04 and GV '04 Senftenberger Piri each are slumbering in my cellar. I am sure they are doing well!

Regards, Robert

PS: Nigl is a great visit, Senftenberg is very nice.

A good friend of mine has the 2004 Nigl Privat Riesling in screw cap (saw it with my own eyes), so it's not just 2005s.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:27 am

The Privat riesling is a monstrous wine! Big diesel note, then tons of apple, pear, and citrus. And, of course, trocken to the core.