The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Resolution Related (sort of)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Resolution Related (sort of)

by Redwinger » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:34 am

Despite having consumed more wine this past year than I purchased, my wine pit is out of control. I can't find stuff, I keep finding orphans that should have been consumed years ago and have difficulty finding my personal tasting notes since they are scattered about on various wine forums, in assorted WORD files and even on slips of papers and notebooks. I suspect that these issues are related to age and diminished memory. This has got to stop, so starting today I will:

1. Enter my entire inventory into cellar tracker by 2/1/2009.

2. Religiously monitor/enter consumption (this may prove difficult).

3. All notes will be done in cellartracker and I'll pretty much fore go the exercise of posting them on-line.

4. Continue to purchase less and consume more.

Happy New Year to all!!

BP
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Resolution Related (sort of)

by Carl Eppig » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:11 am

Sounds like a plan; let's see if it comes together!

Cheers, Carl
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:35 am

Cellartracker is great, except for the notes part. I honestly don't like that feature all that much. It makes the on-line fora seem consistent.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:53 pm

Good luck, Bill, especially with #2 on your list. I think many of us could use the same resolutions!
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:03 pm

Hey, this is almost fun doing the inventory. Here's what I uncovered so far that I had mis-remembered:

A couple of bottle of mid-90s Chave Hermitage that I had lost track of.

A box with 6-2001 Jamet Cote-Rotie. Woulda sworn I only bought 3. Very un-Wingerlike to misremember his Jamet stash.

Another box which I thought was empty contained 6 Karl Lawrence Cabs form 2001. Put one in the queue for tonight's duck breast dinner.

BP
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:11 pm

Redwinger wrote:3. All notes will be done in cellartracker and I'll pretty much fore go the exercise of posting them on-line.

Winger, you DO realize that CT notes can be cross posted to this forum, as well as eBob, with the mere push of a button, don't you?
I love CT, but I rarely read the notes there, so I appreciate when tasters cross post to the various fora.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:30 pm

John Tomasso wrote:
Redwinger wrote:3. All notes will be done in cellartracker and I'll pretty much fore go the exercise of posting them on-line.

Winger, you DO realize that CT notes can be cross posted to this forum, as well as eBob, with the mere push of a button, don't you?
I love CT, but I rarely read the notes there, so I appreciate when tasters cross post to the various fora.

John,

I didn't realize that. I've only looked at the TN functionality in CT! for a few minutes, but I was under the impression that this site would be more of a cut and paste operation...if I'm wrong about that I hope somewhat gets me sqared away. Hey, I'm a CT! newb.
Cut and paste is do-able, but I'm not inclined to go that route.

Bill
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:00 am

Redwinger wrote:Hey, this is almost fun doing the inventory. Here's what I uncovered so far that I had mis-remembered:

A box with 6-2001 Jamet Cote-Rotie. Woulda sworn I only bought 3. Very un-Wingerlike to misremember his Jamet stash.

How 'bout adding another resolution: host a big jeebus in '09?

Just tryin' to help here...
Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:49 am

[quote="Mark Lipton" How 'bout adding another resolution: host a big jeebus in '09? Just tryin' to help here... Mark Lipton[/quote]

Heck Mark, do it in April sometime (after my self imposed wine drinking curtailment) and I could come up and help you and Winger lower the cellar storage level too! :-)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:27 am

Redwinger wrote:I didn't realize that. I've only looked at the TN functionality in CT! for a few minutes, but I was under the impression that this site would be more of a cut and paste operation

Winger, once you compose your note, and click "consume this bottle" your note will appear at the top of other CT user's notes on the same wine. Beneath your note will be two links - "Click to add a new public tasting note" and "Post this note to another wine forum."

Click on the second, and you will be presented with some options of wine boards to post to. Unfortunately, it appears that Robin's site is no longer among the choices. It used to be, so obviously that's changed.
You can post to UK Wine Forum, Wine Spec Forum, Tanzer's Forum and eBob.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:54 pm

John,

Thanks. That confirms my first read on the process.
Seems strange that CT! and/or WLDG would remove the functionality to make posting easier. Oh well.

Bill

Edit: I checked the CT forums and discovered that after the 2006 upgrade to WLDG there were problems with uploading notes from CT. Appears Eric removed the functionality to minimize the problems.
Last edited by Redwinger on Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:57 pm

Bill,

It's some of the security features of the current WLDG software that prevent direct posting from CellarTracker. Eric, Robin & I tried to fight through it a while back and lost.

So I cut and paste. It only takes a second if you open an extra tab.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:18 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Bill,

It's some of the security features of the current WLDG software that prevent direct posting from CellarTracker. Eric, Robin & I tried to fight through it a while back and lost.

So I cut and paste. It only takes a second if you open an extra tab.

Thanks David. After I posted I went to the CT forums and saw what the issue is/was.
Cut and paste is an option, but I'm not sure I want to do that. I'm sort of at a spot where I just want to have a place to find my notes for personal use and not sure I want to go through the whole drill of composing my thoughts so they might make sense to someone else. That is a real chore for someone as illiterate as myself. I'd be willing to make the effort if I saw more people contributing notes here. It's it is the relatively small cadre of contributors, yourself included, who post the bulk of the notes and IMO that is what I look for first. It's not like the others don't drink plenty of interesting wine. So, if they can't be bothered, I have begun to ask myself why I should go out of my way.

I didn't intend this to be a rant and hope no one takes it that way. Just something I need to wrestle with.

Best,

Bill
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:20 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
Redwinger wrote:Hey, this is almost fun doing the inventory. Here's what I uncovered so far that I had mis-remembered:

How 'bout adding another resolution: host a big jeebus in '09?

Just tryin' to help here...
Mark Lipton

Mark-

Jeebii are good!!

Bill
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:41 pm

Bill - what we need is for the contributors to keep contributing. That's the only way to get new folks to post their thoughts.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:12 pm

"I'd be willing to make the effort if I saw more people contributing notes here. It's it is the relatively small cadre of contributors, yourself included, who post the bulk of the notes and IMO that is what I look for first. It's not like the others don't drink plenty of interesting wine. So, if they can't be bothered, I have begun to ask myself why I should go out of my way."

Guilty as charged. I am going to make an effort to put more of my TNs up this year. I've been lazy.
no avatar
User

David Glasser

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:51 am

Maryland

by David Glasser » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:50 pm

Bill, as one who has used cellar management as a benign outlet for some of my OCD-like tendencies, I found it hard to relate to your first few resolutions, but I am with you on the "purchase less, consume more" bandwagon!

CT has prompted me to improve my note-taking. My notes used to be reasonably descriptive, but had devolved into just a few short words to remind me of what I thought and drinking windows. Knowing other people would be reading them on CT spurred me to add a few more details.

I've seen posts from CT on various boards, never quite knew how do to that until John explained it. Too bad it doesn't work with WLDG. I should resolve to do some cutting and pasting now that I'm writing intelligible notes.

The only downside of putting all your eggs in one basket on CT is that no matter how robust it appears, it's, well, one basket. I would recommend an Excel export for backup every so often.
no avatar
User

David Glasser

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:51 am

Maryland

by David Glasser » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:52 pm

Hmm, I've now become a "wine geek." I was just getting kind of fond of being a "cellar rat." Who moved my cheese?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:54 pm

David Glasser wrote: Who moved my cheese?

Gaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:57 pm

David Glasser wrote:
The only downside of putting all your eggs in one basket on CT is that no matter how robust it appears, it's, well, one basket. I would recommend an Excel export for backup every so often.

Excellent suggestion!

Thanks.