The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Three For A BirthDay...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Three For A BirthDay...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:09 pm

We had three wines for a BD dinner ystrday:
1. St.Cosme CotedDuRhone Blanc (13.5%) 2006: Med.gold color; rather appley/melony slight earthy/stoney pleasant nose; tart light melony/appley mostly Marsanne slight Roussanne floral light oak flavor; med. slight stoney/earthy pleasant melony/appley slight oak finish; a pleasant though simple CdRBlanc; not worth the $22.00
2. Kinton SantaBarbaraCnty Syrah (15%; http://www.Kinton.com) 2005: Dark color; bit earthy some blackberry/blueberry/Syrah light toasty/oak bit simple/clunky nose; tart bit bitter/overextracted earthy slight blueberry/Syrah rather hard/tannic flavor; med.short hard/tannic/pinched bit earthy low fruit/blueberry/Syrah finish; a rather hard/pinched/sinewey Syrah a bit lacking in fruit; on the simple & clunky side; OK at $18.00
3. Weingut Losen-Bockstanz Riesling BA (EB; "botrytis touched"; "shelf life 15-20 yrs"; A.P.Nr. 2605017 22 07; 10.5%) Wittlich PlumeRidgeWineNegociants/Industry CA 2006: Med.gold color; light botrytis/peachy/apricotty very strong R/grapey bit simple nose; bit soft/underacid rich/lush/grapey light botrytis/peachy quite sweet bit simple flavor; long very sweet soft/lush R/grapey light apricotty/peachy/botrytis bit simple finish; lots of strong grapey character and a touch of botrytis; somewhat simple now but should improve w/ age; a QPR champ at $16.00/hlf.
1. Kinton: I'd heard of this wine but when it showed up here at retail in NM, decided to try it. It was a clunky/OK Syrah and may improve w/ some age but would prefer a Jaffurs or Ojai in the low $20's.
2. Losen-Bockstanz: I was headed towards the checkout at TraderJoe's & my eye caught sight of this Mosel BA at a very cheap price. Now how bad could it be at that price so took a chance. A Mosel BA at $16/hlf??? Though it's a bit on the simple side right now and reminds me a bit of a freezer ice wine, it does have some botrytis character and maybe, w/ some age, it'll turn into something pretty good. I'm going back for another 4 hlf btls. You occasionally stumble across some real bargins at TJ's in the dessert wine category.
Tom
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: WTN: Three For A BirthDay...(short/boring)

by Bob Henrick » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:10 pm

Tom, at your age, how could a birthday be either short, or boring? Happy what ever the number. I passed 70 last August, and still feel 29! Except when don't. :D
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Well.....

by TomHill » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:44 am

Bob Henrick wrote:Tom, at your age, how could a birthday be either short, or boring? Happy what ever the number. I passed 70 last August, and still feel 29! Except when don't. :D

Well, Bob....#66, for the record. But didn't seem like it last night when I put away the Nation's #3 Cadet epeeist in 3 bouts out of 5. But I had the advantage.... I'm getting older at a far slower rate than Jake is since we last bouted 2 weeks ago. One of the (few) advantages of old age!!! :-) I guess.
Tom
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: Well.....

by Bob Henrick » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:24 pm

TomHill wrote:Well, Bob....#66, for the record. But didn't seem like it last night when I put away the Nation's #3 Cadet epeeist in 3 bouts out of 5. But I had the advantage.... I'm getting older at a far slower rate than Jake is since we last bouted 2 weeks ago. One of the (few) advantages of old age!!! :-) I guess. Tom

Congratulations on the win Tom! Here is a short story that tells us to not fool with senior citizens.

An elderly couple went out for breakfast on morning. The diner had a special ongoing of 2 eggs to order, 2 slices of bacon, a biscuit or toast, and a cup of coffee. Price was $1.99. The husband quickly said that he would take the special. The wife said she would too, except that she didn't want the eggs. The waitress stated that if she didn't take the eggs, she was ordering ala cart and that the price would be $2.49. The old woman remarked that she could pay more for less and phrased it as a question. The waitress affirmed that to be correct. So, the old woman said then she would take the eggs. The waitress asked how she would like them, she replied, raw and in the shell!

You have to get up early to get ahead of we old folks! :lol:
Bob Henrick