The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1 RM Champagne, 2 Drouhin reds

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 1 RM Champagne, 2 Drouhin reds

by Dale Williams » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:22 pm

Betsy's sister had been away skiing on Christmas, so we had her and her family over for the last night of Hanukkah. Spinach parmesan balls, grilled salmon, latkes with applesauce and sour cream, salad, and donuts (they played some game where you have the donut on a string and race to pull it up with your mouth). Besides the donuts, there was apple pie, and cheese (a Neals Yard Stilton and Langres). There was also a bit of wine:

NV Brigandat Brut Reserve Champagne
Rounder fuller style, with apple fruit accented by Rainer cherries and a hint of baking powder biscuits. Tasty, nice, but occasionally seemed a little too sweet to me, I wish they had trimmed the dosage just a tad. Still, pretty good. B/B+

2001 Drouhin Chambolle-Musigny
I like '01 on the CdN, and especially Chambolle. This is a lovely bottle of village wine, just beginning to hit its stride. Red and black cherries, some plum, light gamy and earth notes. Nicely balanced, good fruit with a sense of elegance, about all one could want in a village wine. A-/B+

2005 Drouhin Chorey-les-Beaune
Less of a sense of elegance here, but still a nice bottle of wine. Red plums and currants, tannins riding in the backseat, good acids. B

Nice night of family, food,and wine

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: 1 RM Champagne, 2 Drouhin reds

by Rahsaan » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:23 pm

Dale Williams wrote:2005 Drouhin Chorey-les-Beaune
Less of a sense of elegance here, but still a nice bottle of wine. Red plums and currants, tannins riding in the backseat, good acids.

Was this showing more earlier and closer to release? How much evolution do you think it will have?

I just bought a bottle and then realized that recent experiences with 05 red Burgundy suggested it was best left alone.