The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Nice Response from Chateau Petrus

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

Nice Response from Chateau Petrus

by Sam Platt » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:07 pm

I rarely write to wine makers, but on the few occasions that I have I'm batting approximately zero on receiving responses from Burgundy and Bordeaux vintners. I recently sent a message to a generic Chateau Petrus e-mail address asking about wines that offer a similar tasting experience to the Petrus grand vin, which I am unable to afford. I expected to receive either a form letter, or nothing at all in return. To my surprise I received a very nice personal response almost immediately from Christian Moueix. I was quite impressed that he took the time to respond to me when I'm most certainly not in any position to become a customer. If I did have the means I would buy his wine based on customer service alone.

PS: His answer was "no", there is nothing like the Petrus available. He did recommend that I try the Chateau Trotanoy which he said can approximate the Petrus in certain vintages as it comes from similar terroir.
Last edited by Sam Platt on Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: Nice Response from Chateau Petrus

by Bob Henrick » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:47 pm

Sam Platt wrote:I rarely write to wine makers, but on the few occasions that I have I'm batting approximately zero on receiving responses from Burgundy and Bordeaux vintners. I recently sent a message to a generic Chateau Petrus e-mail address asking about wines that offer a similar tasting experience to the Petrus grand vin, which I am unable to afford. I expected to receive either a form letter, or nothing at all in return. To my surprise I received a very nice personal response almost immediately from Christian Moureix. I was quite impressed that he took the time to respond to me when I'm most certainly not in any position to become a customer. If I did have the means I would buy his wine based on customer service alone.

PS: His answer was "no", there is nothing like the Petrus available. He did recommend that I try the Chateau Trotanoy which he said can approximately the Petrus in certain vintages as it comes from similar terroir.

Good on him Sam. That alone makes me want to see what other wines he is involved with, and buy those I can afford. Bdx is becoming what burgandy has been for a while. Unaffordable for me.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:04 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Good on him Sam. That alone makes me want to see what other wines he is involved with, and buy those I can afford. Bdx is becoming what burgandy has been for a while. Unaffordable for me.

Bob,

It looks like Christian Moureix is also involved with Dominus. It looks like the Chateau Trotanoy can be had for $200 to $300, which is definitely at the high end of my purchase price curve.

In general I find some good value in the Bordeaux lesser chateaux. There was lots of really good low end 2000 Bdx out there in my opinion. Burgundy is a lost cause in terms of QPR.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:11 pm

Is the Trotanoy really that much? I considered buying the 2004 Trotanoy when it was available here for about 70€ - but even that was too much, alas, though it did seem a very enjoyable wine. The Mouiex's seem to make pretty much unspoofulated wines even these days when almost everyone in Bordeaux tastes spoofy.

Can you get Lafleur-Pétrus 2004? That was a charming wine also and only c.50€ here.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:33 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:Is the Trotanoy really that much?

Otto,

I only did a cursory search. The 1998 vintage Trotanoy, which appears to be drinkable right now, was listed from $229 USD to $270 USD. Perhaps the '98 is not representative.

Can you get Lafleur-Pétrus 2004? That was a charming wine also and only c.50€ here.

Yes. We do have the Lafleur available. From what I have read it is not very similar to the Chateau Petrus. If I happen on some at a reasonable price I will give it try.
Sam

no avatar
User

Jim Vandegriff

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:33 am

Trinidad, CA

by Jim Vandegriff » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:13 pm

A very good interview about Ch. Petrus, Dominus, and other properties near Petrus was done by Grape Radio with Edouard Moueix. You can find it here: http://www.graperadio.com/archives/2008 ... of-mouiex/
in Trinidad, CA, by the sea
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:12 am

Edouard Moueix is a member of the family that for the last fifty years has built up the concern that now owns several exquisite properties in St. Emilion and Pomerol, the most prestigious of these being Chateau Petrus. The family also owns Dominus in California's Napa Valley. I believe the family also controls Chateaux Bel Air, Magdelaine, Latour a Pomerol and Trotanoy.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:50 pm

Full points to Christian Moueix!