The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Xmas Bordeaux, Boxing Day Chinon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

Xmas Bordeaux, Boxing Day Chinon

by Marc D » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:04 pm

For Christmas dinner my wife made a standing rib roast and we drank a very good Claret which was a fine match.

1994 Château Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande

Drinking very well tonight. A classic Pauillac nose of woodsmoke, graphite, and cigar box. The woodsy elements mingle with ripe blackberry fruit, and overall the wine seems still young. It has medium body and still plenty of tannin left, but it is not drying, just a pleasant structure supporting the finish. Very refreshing wine with 12.5% abv. From this bottle there is no rush to drink this, but it is very enjoyable now.

On Boxing Day we had the left overs with Stroganoff which was also a good match. The beef dish was made from a reduced beef stock with mushrooms and some fresh thyme that echoed the Chinon flavors.

2005 Catherine et Pierre Breton Chinon Beaumont

Last night this approached the Platonic ideal of Chinon. Pretty nose with ripe fruit and dried herbs. Gets a little wet cement minerals with air. Bright and lively, with a good bit of tannin framing everything. Could even live and develop for a few years, but I'd be cautious as it is sealed with a plastic cork. Delicious with beef Stroganoff from the leftover rib roast. We polished the bottle off very quickly, it was so easy to drink.
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Xmas Bordeaux, Boxing Day Chinon

by Jenise » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:38 pm

Marc D wrote:For Christmas dinner my wife made a standing rib roast and we drank a very good Claret which was a fine match.

Appreciate the note on the Lalande as I have this wine. Also the Baron, which I think trails the Lalande in drinkability in this vintage.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

Re: Xmas Bordeaux, Boxing Day Chinon

by Marc D » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:44 am

I've tried both twice and have a big preference for the Lalande over the Baron.
Both bottles of the Baron were pretty austere and maybe drying out.
Maybe yours will be better.
Marc Davis