The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A Great Riesling Spatlese

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

WTN: A Great Riesling Spatlese

by Tom N. » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:38 pm

A light straw yellow wine. Nose of petrol and peaches. Luscious midpalate of sweetness, minerals, peaches, apricot and grapefruit. Great balance and layers of fruit on the finish. This is easily the best riesling I have had this year.

It was a great match with a Indian chicken and sweet potato curry. The spicy hot finish of the dish swirled with the fruit finish creating some scintilating new tastes of hot and spicy fruit. One of the best wine-food matches of the year for me :lol:.

Wine 2003 riesling spatlese Erbacher Marcobrunn by Langwerth von Simmern. 10.5% abv. This wine was a present from brother James.
Last edited by Tom N. on Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

Re: WTN: A Great Riesling Spatlese

by Bernard Roth » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:15 am

Marcobrunn is one of the great German vineyards. I have several vintages of von Simmern's Marcobrunn at various praedikat levels. Always a joy to drink.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

Re: WTN: A Great Riesling Spatlese

by Tom N. » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:47 pm

Bernard Roth wrote:Marcobrunn is one of the great German vineyards. I have several vintages of von Simmern's Marcobrunn at various praedikat levels. Always a joy to drink.

Hi Bernard,

I have had other really nice wines from marcobrunn too. Schloss Schonborn makes a riesling kabinett from that vineyard that I really like.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.