The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Christmas Eve. Wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

TN: Christmas Eve. Wines

by Jim Grow » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:26 pm

We had Chinese at my brother-in-laws in NW Ohio for Christmas Eve. He made great Chinese dinner (Palace Chicken) and I supplied the wine.

We started off with a aperitif of 1976 Colheita from Royal Oporto. Still completely sound and quite smooth with no volatility, nice hazelnut/honey flavors and a tiny touch of Madera. We will finish this bottle tonight.

With the Palace Chicken we had the 1993 Weinbach Gewurztraminer Altenbourg "Cuvee Lawrence". I was worried that it may be ove the hill but shouldn't have been. A medium straw color, the nose and palate screamed of spicey pear fruit with light rose petal and some little lychee flavors and smells. Acid balance was exceptional. Maybe just slightly sweet(1%) but none the less wonderful and the best mature Gewurztraminer I have ever had.

2000 Moulin St. George went well with the beef entree. Still young but tannins all resolved with nice medium-intense black fruit and a beautiful mineral note throughout. Wish I had more as this will develope nicely over the next 10-15 years.