The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

1987 Chateau Rochebelle St. Emilion Grand Cru

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jesse Jarjour

Rank

Just got here

Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:52 pm

1987 Chateau Rochebelle St. Emilion Grand Cru

by Jesse Jarjour » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:00 pm

Hello, I was recently cleaning out the old wine cellar and I came accross a 1987 Chateau Rochebelle that was given to me years ago. I was hoping someone could give me advice on if this wine has passed its "time" and to the value of the wine. We are thinking about opening it for Christmas dinner. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You

Jesse Jarjour
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: 1987 Chateau Rochebelle St. Emilion Grand Cru

by Jenise » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:41 pm

Jesse, thanks for bringing your question to WLDG. Unfortunately, while I haven't had the specific wine in question, chances are you don't have much of a bottle there. '87 was a very poor year in Bordeaux and Rochebelle isn't the kind of producer whose wine gets valuable with time. So, no reason to not open it with Christmas dinner--just don't set your expectation levels very high and be sure to have back up bottles of something you know you'll enjoy. It's probably tired if not dried out, but it may hit a nice sweet spot for a few minutes right after you pour it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: 1987 Chateau Rochebelle St. Emilion Grand Cru

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:45 pm

Hi, Jesse. Welcome to WLDG!

I haven't had this particular wine. The only sure-fire way to tell if any wine is viable is to open it and give it a try. I might have something standing by in case it's corked, a bit past it, or you just don't like the style.

Edited to add: Oh! What Jenise said! :wink: