The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Domaine du Mas Blanc Banyuls Rimage La Goume

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

WTN: 2004 Domaine du Mas Blanc Banyuls Rimage La Goume

by Clint Hall » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:46 am

This is more a question than a WTN. I bought the wine, two 375s, partly because of a Wine Advocate Schildnecht 91 rating but mostly because I don't recall ever before tasting Banyuls. A pleasant wine, this one didn't disappoint, with its sweet cassis nose and palate, and although I wouldn't want to drink this one-dimensional sweetie more than about once a year it passed the Banyuls-is-the-only-wine-that-pairs-with-chocolate test. (If a guest ever insists on drinking wine with chocolate I'll haul out the remaining bottle of Banyuls.) But what I want to know is this: is Banyuls supposed to be cellared? and if so how long? This one is simple now, and it would be nice to think it will become with time more complex, but I have a hard time imagining that. And at what temperature is Banyuls customarily served? I tried it cold and later at room temperature, and for me the latter was better.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

Re: WTN: 2004 Domaine du Mas Blanc Banyuls Rimage La Goume

by Mark S » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:16 pm

Surprised nobody answered this hot and burning wine question yet, so I'll bite.
Banyuls, being a sweet wine made from grenache, tends to be ready to drink from the bottle, from the start, unlike Port which needs years to round out in bottle. I've had some older Mas Amiels which can age (and some are sold with age on them, witness their 10, 15 year releases), but for the most part, there is no need to.
Mas Blanc has a good reputation for ageability, so I don't think there would be any harm in keeping one around for awhile, but these are Not Sauternes: they will likely take on a more rancio and muted character with age and lost the upfront fruit they had in their youth and not necessarily become more complex. And you've reminded me that I have a couple of these from 2001 that I ought to check in on :)
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

Re: WTN: 2004 Domaine du Mas Blanc Banyuls Rimage La Goume

by Clint Hall » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:14 pm

Thanks, Mark. That's what I wanted to know.