The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Witness Tree Pinot Noir 2007 WV

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

michael dietrich

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed May 10, 2006 5:09 pm

West Linn, Oregon

Witness Tree Pinot Noir 2007 WV

by michael dietrich » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:41 pm

I had my sales rep bring some of the Witness Tree and his Elemental Cellars wines by a couple of weeks ago. I was very impressed with the Pinot Noir 2007 from Witness Tree. It had this great nose of dark cherry and spice. The fruit followed through nicely. If I had tasted this in a blind tasting, I would not pick it as 2007. I have found a few other I would say that about. The majority of what I have tasted from 2007, about 40 so far, have been good but generally I prefer 2004-2006 vintages. For me, so far, most of the 2007's that I have tasted don't have the depth and concentration compared to 2006. I then look at the price I would sell them for. In general I am not a fan of Pinots that are over-extracted or over-oaked, regardless of their origin. I really am looking for a nice balance between the fruit profile, structure,and aromatics.

Another wine he brought was his Elemental Cellars Syrah 2005 from Deux Vert vineyard. It had that great Northern Rhone nose of spice, bacon fat, and smoke. The fruit was in total harmony. No jammy character to it at all. This is certainly one of the best NW Syrahs I have had recently and at $21. The Witness Tree 2007 Pinot was $25.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Witness Tree Pinot Noir 2007 WV

by Jenise » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:58 pm

michael dietrich wrote: In general I am not a fan of Pinots that are over-extracted or over-oaked, regardless of their origin.

Like the 05 Owen Roe we had this weekend? Ugh--it was guilty of both, egregiously so. A total waste of $49.

Thanks for the tip on the Witness Tree--always a brand I like. And the Elemental Cellars sounds very intriguing! Not a producer I've seen before, though. Doesn't quite sound like a Rogue River profile, but there isn't much syrah grown anywhere else in Oregon, is there? Cristom has some vines in Willamette, but they're about the only ones, right?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:03 pm

Jenise wrote:
michael dietrich wrote: In general I am not a fan of Pinots that are over-extracted or over-oaked, regardless of their origin.

Like the 05 Owen Roe we had this weekend? Ugh--it was guilty of both, egregiously so. A total waste of $49.

Thanks for the tip on the Witness Tree--always a brand I like. And the Elemental Cellars sounds very intriguing! Not a producer I've seen before, though. Doesn't quite sound like a Rogue River profile, but there isn't much syrah grown anywhere else in Oregon, is there? Cristom has some vines in Willamette, but they're about the only ones, right?

Jenise-
IIRC, Florida Jim mentioned that Biggio-Hamina has some Syrah in Willamette. Of course, I could be wrong about that (but never in doubt)
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

michael dietrich

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed May 10, 2006 5:09 pm

West Linn, Oregon

by michael dietrich » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:24 pm

I should be at work but due to the snow here I have not been in since Friday. I guess this is the most snow we have seen here in the portland metro area in about 40 years. We had 16" by this morning and it has been snow most of the day. We normally get maybe 2" a year. But we still have electricity and my barbeques still work.
Another Witness Tree wine I tasted was their 2007 Pinot Blanc $14. I think in general I like Pinot Blanc better than Pinot Gris. For this Witness Tree, I really liked the minerality and depth.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:52 pm

Redwinger wrote:
Jenise wrote:

Jenise-
IIRC, Florida Jim mentioned that Biggio-Hamina has some Syrah in Willamette. Of course, I could be wrong about that (but never in doubt)
Bill

Correction: It was Jason Hagen who posted about the Biggio-Hamina Syrah just a couple of days ago. Apologies to Jason.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:26 pm

Redwinger wrote: It was Jason Hagen who posted about the Biggio-Hamina Syrah just a couple of days ago.

Yes, and the Biggio-Hamina is from the same Vineyard. They may be on to something.

J
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:57 am

Karl Dinger is doing syrah in the Chehalem Mountains area.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT