The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Some From The Archives...(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Some From The Archives...(long/boring)

by TomHill » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:40 pm

Closed out the year (12/17/08) with Some Wines:

1. BuehlerVnyds NapaVlly Zin (14%) 1979: Med.light color w/ very slight bricking; rather
earthy/dusty smokey/tobaccoy/pungent/cedary somewhat peppery slight toamtoey/spicy
very slight raspberry nose; soft/smooth/elegant/graceful/gentle light spicy/tomatoey
slight peppery light tobaccoy/pencilly complex flavor; med. smooth/gentle/elegant
some cedary/pencilly light tomatoey/spicy some complex finish; a gentle/smooth/
elegant old Zin that whispers across the palate; in wonderful condition. $10.00
tomatoey/stewed bit complex flavor; med.long tart/citric/tangy cranberry/tomatoey
very ripe finish w/ light tannins; seems much riper than the 12.5% indicates;
interesting Zin in nose but not so much on the palate. $8.50
flavor; med.short soft/smooth/gentle tobbacoy/old Zin/pencilly finish w/ no tannins;
a soft/gentle old-bones Zin. $12.00
blackberry somewhat tobaccoy/ash tray flavor; med.long tart somewhat tannic/dried out
tobaccoy/old Zin bit blackberry/jammy finish; rather strange Zin that has not come
together particularly well. $16.00
5. Renwood Zin AmadorCnty (14.5%; #520 of 974 cs) 1991: Dark color w/ no bricking; strong
blackberry/briary calssic Amador Zin light toasty/oak slight musty/corked nose; soft
slight musty/TCA some briary/Amador/blackberry bit tannic/dried out flavor; some
briary/blackberry/Amador some tannic/dried out bit musty finish w/ little tannins;
still clinging to life but marred by a bit of TCA. $10.00
123 yr old vines; #517 of 624 cs) 1991: Dark color w/ some bricking; very ripe/
tomatoey some raisened/late harvesty some toasty/oak rather cranberry/ripe nose; very
ripe/overripe cranberry/late harvesty/raisened light toasty/oak bit hot/alcoholic
some dried out/tannic/astringent flavor; med.long cranberry/late harvesty/raisened
light toasty/oak rather dried-out/astringent finish; lots of raisened character
and starting to crack up like many late harvest Zins. $12.00
Rhonish some blackberry/Syrah/spicy finish w/ light tannins; pretty ready to drink
and will go another few yrs; very lovely Rhonish-like Syrah. $28.00
herbal/smokey/espresso rather blackberry/Syrah/black olive some earthy/meaty complex
flavor; very long roasted/Rhonish/smokey/pungent/espresso some Syrah/blackberry/black
olive bit tannic complex finish; a stunning very Rhonish complex Syrah; very much
like the Cuvee d'Honnore; a steal at $31.00
harvesty some alcoholic somewhat cedary/pencilly nose; off-dry raisened/pruney/late
harvesty bit earthy/dusty stewed some cedary/pencilly bit tired flavor; med.long very
strong raisened/pruney/late harvesty chalky slight oxidized finish w/ some dried-out
tannins; a raisened/pruney mess. $6.79/hlf
alcoholic light cedary/pencilly quite spicy complex nose; soft some alcoholic/porty
slightly sweet some minty/menthol strong licorice/plummy/grapey quite smooth/lush
bit complex flavor; very long smooth/lush rather grapey/plummy/licorice/chocolaty
slight alcoholic/porty slight chalky/tannic/cedary/dusty/pencilly finish; a lovely
mature Calif Port w/o the alcoholic harshness of Oporto and loads of plummy fruit.
$16.00
I bought the btl yrs ago. Stumbled across an article in the ModestoBee that Richard
had been diagnosed w/ Parkinson's in late 2004 and he did not make wine in that year.
Have not been able to find out anything more about his condition. All I can say is
this is one of the best mature Calif Ports I ever done had.
Barrett. They were big/extracted/structured, loads of toasty/oak, very spicy &
peppery. Over the yrs, they have aged remarkably well. This Zin was one of the few
from that vintage that has come together well.
That said....did I like the wine?? Well....yes & no. It was an amazingly intellectual
experience to taste this wine. It brought back wonderful memories of Buehlers past
(as NealRosenthal says.."the finest of wines pave the path to memory"). You're left in
awe that the wine is still good to drink. But was it enjoyable to drink and a
hedonistic experience?? Nope!! It was like your Grandpa on his death bed, whispering
his last memories into you ear, barely audible over the hum of the aspirator. Not an
exciting experience, but one which is laden w/ fond memories. As the wine whispered
across my palate, I pined for something w/ a bit more life, vigor, and excitement.
This is something I find is often true of old wines that have held together. It
leaves me with a feeling of wanting something more. Maybe we've been led down the
primrose path by these old-fogey British writers who rapsodize endlessly over these
types of old bones? Maybe that complexity thing has been put up on a pedestal that
it doesn't really deserve? Maybe we're being led astray by those writers who wax
enthusiastic over these brash/young/tannic wines, with their 95+ point scores and how
this or that wine will knock our sox of at it's maturity? Maybe we're being sold
a bill of goods?? Maybe old wines are not such great things after all? I know...
heresy.
many a yr ago, taking a look-see at their pipe organ, and buying this hlf btl of
LateHrvst Zin. These folks still in business anyone know??
Like many of these old LateHrvst Zins from the '76-'77-'78 drought yrs; this wine
was dead & gone...a mess of stewed/raisened/pruney fruit...not even an intellectual
experience.
EhrenJordan on this wine...terrific stuff.
showed much more browning and murkey colors.
7. Grandpere: This wine was made by ScottHarvey in his hey-day at Renwood afore he was
skanked by Smerling and run outta Dodge. In its day, this was a stunning/classic
GrandPere Zin...big/huge/extracted/loads of blackberry fruit. A zin certain to go
out 20 yrs at least. Well......it just didn't make it. It's well on it way to
cracking up into a stewed/late harvest mess.
Scott is now making GrandPere Zin (though he can't call it GrandPere because
Smerling trademarked the name...even though Smerling no longer gets grapes from the
"true" GrandPere vnyd) under his ScottHarvey label. He asserts he no longer likes
that style that he used at Renwood and goes for a much more restrained style of
Zin. The '05 I recently had was one of the best Amador Zins I've had in yrs. Maybe
there's something to be said for that "balance" thing after all??
Tom
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

Re: WTN: Some From The Archives...(long/boring)

by SteveEdmunds » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:15 am

Tom; I made a '91 Zin, from the foothills, about half of which is Grandpere, the other half from Spanish Creek Ranch in what is now the Fairlplay appellation in El Dorado. I'd bet it's still youthful, boisteroous, and full of piss and vinegar...
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:45 am

Tom,

I believe that Heidi Petersen Barret was hired at Buehler in the early '80s. If my memory is right Philip Togni made the '78 Buehler Cabernet. Could he have been the wine maker in 1979?

Tom T.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Well....

by TomHill » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:52 am

Tom Troiano wrote:Tom,
I believe that Heidi Petersen Barret was hired at Buehler in the early '80s. If my memory is right Philip Togni made the '78 Buehler Cabernet. Could he have been the wine maker in 1979?
Tom T.

Well....now that you mention it, Tom, I believe you are correct. I'd forgotten about him being there. They were definitely Togni in style.
Tom
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:31 pm

For what its worth, I loved '78 Buehler Cabernet. Great stuff.

Tom T.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:43 pm

Johnson's-I stopped there on my bicycle a couple of years ago. My only recollection is that "old school" is not always a positive thing. :? Strange, thin, awkward stuff.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach