The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2 Italian whites, 1 Bdx, all good values

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 2 Italian whites, 1 Bdx, all good values

by Dale Williams » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:29 pm

Friday we got a pretty good snowfall in afternoon, but it had slowed by evening when I drove to JFK to pick up David. But airport was a mess, and it was about 11 when we returned home for a late dinner. Betsy had prepared one of Dave's faves, beef and spinach in an Asian-esque broth, over udon. We all enjoyed a glass of the 2005 Ch. Peybonhomme les Tours (1er Cotes de Blaye). Lighter claret, but with decent concentration and length. Fresh acidity, light tannins, cassis and plums, a little cedary note. Not exciting, but an honest and straightforward Bordeaux, hard to find those at $12. B

Saturday was a busy workday interspersed with some shopping, Betsy made cioppino with lobster, squid, shrimp, and some cherrystones; roasted potatoes and haricots verts were the side. The 2007 Il Conte Pinot Grigio (Veneto) was the cooking wine. But tasty enough to use as an apertif, clean if light pear and stone fruits, no sign of oak, balanced acidity, fresh. Fine for $7. B-

Main wines was the 2007 Colle Stefano Verdicchio di Matelica. As before, I really enjoyed this. Bright acidity (maybe the tiniest hint of spritz?), honeydew, lemon, and yellow apple flavors, a little earth and hazelnut. Good length, concentration, holds one's interest. The stew was spicy enough to be a difficult match, but this did ok. Nice wine. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

Re: WTN: 2 Italian whites, 1 Bdx, all good values

by Oliver McCrum » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:13 pm

Dale,

I bet the Colle Stefano had a little spritz, many wines fermented that way do for the first year or so. Sometimes there's positively a ring of bubbles around the glass when the wine is poured.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:36 pm

Oliver McCrum wrote:I bet the Colle Stefano had a little spritz, many wines fermented that way do for the first year or so.

Oliver, I'm an admitted moron when it comes to winemaking. Can you explain the "wines fermented that way" comment? Thanks
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:37 pm

Cool or cold fermentations with no effort to remove CO2 afterwards, which is normal Italian white-wine making. It's particularly evident when the wines first arrive.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines