The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two from WA

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

WTN: Two from WA

by Salil » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:09 am

2006 Frankland Estate Isolation Ridge Vineyard Riesling
Third bottle of this I've opened in the last 12 months, and this hasn't changed much - still very primary and youthful. Shows a lot of smoke, kerosene and earth on the nose when unscrewed. With time the kerosene notes blow off and aromas of lemon and grapefruit emerge. Dry on the palate with more smoke, lemon and grapefruit flavours around a core of stony minerals and bright acidity. Very enjoyable (although this doesn't have the precision or power of the 05, which is one of the very best Aussie Rieslings I've ever tasted - can't complain about a bottle of this though).

2004 Frankland Estate Olmo's Reward
This is a blend dominated by Merlot and Cab Franc with small amounts of the other red Bdx varieties. Clear dark red in colour, and the first few sips are all plums and cassis with a mass of tannin underneath. After a couple of hours in the decanter this really opens out as tobacco leaf, cedar, earth and cocoa flavours emerge. There's serious structure here with good acidity and firm, chewy tannins that soften a little with air and with the richness of the youthful fruit and the balance, I'll be keeping my hands off other bottles to see how this progresses with some cellar time.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Two from WA

by David M. Bueker » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:45 pm

Ah...Western Australia. WA usually denotes Washington & in my sleep-deprived state I couldn't fathom why you of all people would be drinking Washington wines.
Decisions are made by those who show up