The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 01 Clos Pepe, 05 Leigh Syrah & 04 Rivers Marie Cab

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

WTN: 01 Clos Pepe, 05 Leigh Syrah & 04 Rivers Marie Cab

by Jason Hagen » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:03 pm

Time for a work Christmas party. As $ is tight for many of us I decided I would cook and have top notch wines rather than go to a restaurant. The wine selection went as follows.

2001 Clos Pepe Estate Chardonnay - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Rita Hills (12/17/2008)
I think I tried this wine at the Falltacular but that was in the midst of gobs of other wine so I was glad to give it is due on this evening. Great right from the start but also showed a nice evolution over the evening. The wine showed age without being tired. Just a hint of oxidation on the nose. The aromatics are enticing. Smooth palate with nuts, rocks, pears and butterscotch. Everything in balance. At first I thought the finish was ho hum but very acceptable but as the night went on, so did the finish. Not overly steely so it works well on its own but enough bite to easily handle food. (92 pts.)

2005 Leigh Cellars Syrah Sleepy Hollow Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Monterey County (12/17/2008)
Drank out of a magnum. There was some concern about the longevity of these rare magnums so my friend decided to pop it. No problems here. A bit of a tradition is starting as we had this last year too. Nice cool Cali funk. Lingering texture, big fruit and balanced acid. My wife is always crazy about this wine. (90 pts.)

2004 Rivers-Marie Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley (12/17/2008)
This wine is a crowd pleaser and a “me” pleaser. When I want a big rich cab, this is what I like. Has enough structure and tannin to keep it interesting. The lusciousness is starting to dissipate. Probably open another bottle very soon and spend more time with it to decide if I want to age any longer. Seems like drinking now is the best bet. (92 pts.)