The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Auxey and Tuscan blend

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Auxey and Tuscan blend

by Dale Williams » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:16 pm

Wednesday we were both beat, and pizza seemed the best option. I picked up a sausage and mushroom pie, and opened the 2004 Terrabianca Campaccio (Toscano IGT). Black cherries and plums, fresh acidity, showing a bit too much toasty oak for me. Pretty decent wine, a little too modern, but good length and concentration. B

Thursday she made roast chicken with roasted beets and roasted potatoes with garlic, along with a green salad (which was not roasted). Wine was the 1999 Lafouge " La Chapelle" Auxey-Duresses 1er. Pretty floral/cherry blossom nose,but quite thin at first. With air it put on some weight, though still on the lighter side for '99. Fresh raspberries and a dollop of kirsch, some baking spices. Not especially long, could use a bit more oomph, but pretty enough, and a good backdrop for the food. Gets earthy and a bit richer later in evening. It's possible this is just tight and needs more time. B/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.