The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TNs: Yacochuya, Catena, Luca, Achaval-Ferrer, Mendel, Tikal

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

TNs: Yacochuya, Catena, Luca, Achaval-Ferrer, Mendel, Tikal

by Michael Malinoski » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:06 pm

Our hostess really wanted to do a tasting of wines from Argentina, and so 7 of us gathered up some bottles and descended upon her home to drink through a really interesting line-up of what that country has to offer. Many of us had never had so many Argentinean wines in one sitting, so it was both very educational and a lot of fun. All the reds were served blind--we only knew that all wines were from Argentina.

Starter whites:

2007 Crios de Susana Balbo Torrontes Mendoza. The nose is soft, flowery and pretty--with wide-open aromas of orange blossoms, white peaches, lychee and honeydew melon. It is open-textured, soft and limpid on the palate, with a bit more body than I might have expected based on the aromatics. Again, the floral, peach and melon come through in a fun, easy to sip white probably more appropriate for summer porch sipping.

2007 Avenue Torrontes Argentina. This Torrontes has a pretty similar aromatic profile, though perhaps just a bit more serious, though less precociously fun. It is a bit spicier in the mouth and not quite so lilting as the Crios. It demonstrates more density through the middle, but it is not quite as friendly—finishing with a hint of bitter smokiness.

2005 Bodega Catena Zapata Chardonnay Catena Alta Mendoza. The nose on this Chardonnay displays fine notes of quartz, powdered minerals, lemon peel and yellow pixie stick dust. I have to say I found it much more mineral than oak-driven—really the polar opposite of Jud’s impressions. In the mouth, I find that it really opens up and expands to fill the whole mouth. It is really smooth-textured and veers toward the heavier-bodied side. Pear fruit, smoke and brown spices combine in a lush, yet hardly flabby fashion. It does begin to allow some wood influence to rear its head toward the finish, but otherwise this is a nicely balanced and enjoyable option in new-world Chardonnay.

Flight #1:

2001 Yacochuya Salta Cafayate. I was looking forward to trying this wine from Michel Rolland. However, I think this was an imperfect bottle—seemingly heat-damaged somewhere along the line. The nose displays some roasted red fruit, some volatile notes and even a hint of spirits riding above stewed plum, tomato paste and balsa wood scents. In the mouth, it has a matte texture and lots of drying tannins. Flavors of dark cherry and smoke are a bit rough around the edges and the whole package lacks polish, though certainly not stuffing. I would be very interested to see what a better bottle could do.

2004 Bodega Catena Zapata Malbec Catena Alta Mendoza. My initial impression is that this absolutely must be a Syrah. It smells of meat, dark tire tread, black pepper, black cherry, tree bark, forest greenery, cardboard and jalapeno pepper. It has fine cohesion in the mouth, with an easy texture and flavors of blackberries and dark plums. It has a fairly lasting finish, with plush tannins that start out in check but eventually turn a bit sticky. It is enjoyable and drinks easy but never really steps out from the crowd.

Flight #2:

2005 Avenue Bonarda Reserva Argentina. There is a real feral quality to the nose here, with strong notes of menthol and grape stems overlaying aromas of black leather, peppercorns, and dark wild berries. In the mouth, it fluctuates between seeming gently rich and dense and feeling narrow and pinched. There are soft fuzzy tannins throughout, and it features some raw dark raspberry and black cherry fruit. It is a hard wine to get a fix on and certainly seems like it needs time if it is to come together.

2006 Luca Syrah Laborde Double Select Uco Valley Mendoza. Here is another wine from the Catena family--this one from Laura Catena, daughter of Nicolas Catena. I really like the bouquet on this wine, which features finely-delineated aromas of black currants, dried leather and jalapeno pepper accented by strong notes of fine coffee. It has a rounded structure, with plenty of ripe plush fruit that flows beautifully all the way through. Its dark cherry and black currant flavors accented by complex spices are very tasty and the whole package is finely-balanced with polished tannins. For such a young wine, it drinks very well right now. In the end, I was shocked to learn that this is Syrah--instead guessing Bordeaux blend all the way. By the way, this was my wine of the night.

Flight #3:

2006 Achaval-Ferrer Malbec Finca Altamira Uco Valley Mendoza. Right off the bat, one can tell that this is a wine of fine class and distinction. The fruit on the nose is ripe but restrained, deep but lifted. There are notes of espresso roast, black cherry, cool forest greenery, smoke, black tea, fine leather, tobacco and green pepper. The texture in the mouth is supple and fleshy and there is a strong spicy streak to this medium-bodied wine that runs from entry all the way through to the finish. It tickles the tongue with a combination of that intense spice and the wine’s tart, acidic edge. It has a core of finesse, but shows its youth right now with the sharp acidity, a faint hint of alcohol on the finish and the raw spiciness level. This was my # 2 WOTN, but in 3 to 4 years, I’m convinced this will be head and shoulders above the rest.

2002 Bodega Catena Zapata Nicolas Catena Zapata Mendoza. The initial impression on the nose is of all things black—black currants, black beans, blackberry jam and dark earth. Later on, a strong note of tobacco leaf folds in. The black notes eventually fade more to crème de cassis and dark cherry and gain more charm. In the mouth, this has a lot of fruit concentration, featuring dark cherry and chocolate flavors. The plush, velvety tannins grow more intense and a bit chalkier over time, but never create any sense of austerity. The wine pumps out the flavor, but also has class and is showing some nice layering already. After a few nights in the refrigerator, the wine held up very nicely and delivered a similar performance. This was my #3 WOTN.

Flight #4

2005 Bodega Mendel Malbec Mendoza. Aromatically, this wine is youthful and a bit rough around the edges-- with aromas of inner tube, white pepper, briery black berries, and tough-edged grape stems. Beneath that tough exterior, though, one senses some moderately sweeter dark cranberry and rhubarb fruit notes. It is not what I would call real enjoyable on the palate, where there is a distracting alcohol note right off the bat, and also warring sensations of intense acidic austerity and rough-edged tannins. There is also a lot of structure to work around, but the main feature right now is the moisture-sucking tannins. This one needs a lot of time if it is to come around, a lot like my impression of the 2004 last year. I really did not care for either vintage, truth be told, but maybe these are just too young to be drinking early.

2005 Bodega Mendel Unus Mendoza. This wine is 65% Malbec and 35% Cabernet Sauvignon. Aromatically, it is a whole lot more giving than the straight Malbec—with a big hit of exotic fruitcake spices and cloves, black currants, leafy blackberries, oak and an interesting jalapeno accent. There is real depth to these aromatics that is pleasing. It is generally viscous and rich in the mouth, but not showing nearly so much exoticism as on the nose—indeed, the wine feels dense, serious and perhaps even stand-offish at this stage of the game. It is extremely chewy, with plush dense fruit and fuzzy tannins that absolutely coat the teeth and tongue. The fruit is deep and sweet-tinged, but perhaps a bit primary at this point. The wine as a whole is much preferable to the basic Malbec, but it is just an infant full of baby fat and the raw ingredients to be something more significant down the road.

Flight #5

2006 Tikal Patriota Mendoza. Here we have another Catena-influenced wine, as the producer is Ernesto Catena--the son of Nicolas Catena. I believe I read somewhere recently that both Tikal and Luca share the same winemaker. In any event, this wine is 60% Bonarda and 40% Malbec. It has a lighter, more lifted sort of quality to the aromas--with rhubarb, grape stems, hard luggage, bark and mixed berries. The mouthfeel is also lighter, with some tingly lighter-bodied bramble berry and rhubarb fruit that is not especially deep, but is fresh and tingly. The tannins are easy and gentle, though they do rear up toward the back of the palate, which features some chalky mocha and cocoa notes.

2006 Tikal Malbec Altos de Mendoza Amorio. I like the nose here, which features rich, dense aromas of wild blueberries, loamy earth, wet forest and sliced jalapeno. It has a lot of grip and structure in the mouth, but counters that with a very nice feeling of seamlessness to the texture. The wine is a bit on the dry side, with plenty of smoky, bitter-tinged tannins, but solid concentration of fruit in a promising package. On day 3 after the event, we opened the leftovers and the wine showed really well, fanning out more on the palate and providing more sense of width, along with a bit more sweetness to the fruit. This is probably one that could use a good long decant before approaching. When all was said and done, I would rate this as my 4th favorite wine of the line-up.

Sweet wine with dulce de leche dessert:

2001 Chateau Memoires Cadillac. Caramel, crème brulee topping, dried apricots, confectionary sugar and a dusting of nutmeg aromas on the nose lead to flavors of dark nectarine and apricot, lime zest and caramel syrup carried along by fine tingly acidity. This is pretty darn tasty, with plenty left to give.

The group WOTN was the ’06 Luca Syrah (5 first place votes, 1 second and 1 third), followed by the ’06 Achaval-Ferrer Finca Altamira (3 first place votes, 2 seconds and 1 third) and then the ’02 Nicolas Catena Zapata (2 second place votes and 2 thirds) and the ’06 Tikal Amorio (2 second place votes and 1 third).

It should be noted that for the first time in recorded history, my personal top 4 wines were exactly the same and in the same order as the group voting. The group should really be worried…

-Michael
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: TNs: Yacochuya, Catena, Luca, Achaval-Ferrer, Mendel, Tikal

by JC (NC) » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:32 pm

I'm a fan of the Catena Alta Chardonnay.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:42 pm

A Syrah that presents like a Bordeaux blend? Now THAT'S interesting--I know you're not easily fooled. What was the price on that bottle, if you know?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:57 pm

Thanks for the reports and excellent notes, Michael.

The three Achaval-Ferrer Fincas are my favorite Argentine wines and Marcia really liked the Luca Syrah at a recent tasting of Luca wines so we picked up a couple of bottles, along with the Luca Pinot Noir, also excellent.

I didn't like the Balbo wines I've tried so far, but have a bottle of their Torrontes tucked away for an all-Torrontes tasting that I'll put together soon. Do you recall if this had sufficient acidity?

I liked the Catena Alta Chardonnay in 04, good to hear the 05 is good too. Again, do you recall if this had sufficient acidity? I keep harping on acidity because most Mendoza wine needs to be acidified because most winemakers there pick their grapes super ripe. Sometimes they acidify too much, sometimes too little, and sometimes the acid is one room and the fruit in another...

Had never heard of Avenue and Mendel, so will keep my eyes open for them.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:46 pm

Jenise wrote:A Syrah that presents like a Bordeaux blend? Now THAT'S interesting--I know you're not easily fooled. What was the price on that bottle, if you know?

Jenise,

I am pretty sure this was in the $25-30 range. The review in the Spectator (91 pts for those interested) has the release price listed as $25. I guess the black currant and mocha notes, along with the polished nature of the wine is what threw me the most. Here is a follow-up note from the person who brought that bottle:

BTW, I opened another bottle of the Luca Syrah and right after opening it had more typical new world Syrah notes but then changed into the wine we experienced that night. Probably wouldn't be a big hit with Cali Syrah (or Oz Shiraz) fans but a darn good bottle of wine for the price.
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:55 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:I didn't like the Balbo wines I've tried so far, but have a bottle of their Torrontes tucked away for an all-Torrontes tasting that I'll put together soon. Do you recall if this had sufficient acidity?

I liked the Catena Alta Chardonnay in 04, good to hear the 05 is good too. Again, do you recall if this had sufficient acidity? I keep harping on acidity because most Mendoza wine needs to be acidified because most winemakers there pick their grapes super ripe. Sometimes they acidify too much, sometimes too little, and sometimes the acid is one room and the fruit in another...

Had never heard of Avenue and Mendel, so will keep my eyes open for them.

Hi Oswaldo,

On the Balbo Torrontes, I found it to be very soft--not much acidity there. But to be honest, it seems in keeping with the soft floral aromatics, so to a degree it seems internally consistent. Still, I would not age beyond a year, really.

On the Catena Alta Chardonnay, it was definitely a mouth-filling wine with soft edges all around, but I did not find it flabby at all. It was a fine balancing act on that one, and at least one other taster found it way too oaky and soft. Almost all others there were really pleasantly surprised by the crisp overtones to the richness of the fruit.

On the Avenue brand, from what I gather that might be a private label or limited import by the ownership of a local wine shop. I'll try to dig up more info--I only caught snatches of the conversation about it that night.

The Mendel seems readily available in my local market. I was surprised, however, to find the Unus (which one person who recently has been to Argentina twice told me is getting a lot of attention down there) at a little out of the way shop here in my suburban town. As you can tell, I am not a fan of the Malbec, but do like this Unus, based on this single tasting.

-Michael
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:57 pm

Michael,

Thanks for the notes. FWIW, I'm a big fan of the Catena Zapata wines although I haven't had many.

Back in the day Laura Catena participated on the WLDG.

Tom T.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:03 am

Buenos Aires, Argentina

by Alejandro Audisio » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:40 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:I didn't like the Balbo wines I've tried so far, but have a bottle of their Torrontes tucked away for an all-Torrontes tasting that I'll put together soon. Do you recall if this had sufficient acidity?

(bolding is mine).... Oswaldo, are we beating the dead horse again...??? :mrgreen:
Alejandro Audisio - drink wines from the RIGHT side of the Andes!!!
ITB in Buenos Aires, Argentina
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Buenos Aires, Argentina

by Alejandro Audisio » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:43 am

Getting back on topic..... The Yacochuya Rolland 2001 is probably my least favorite vintage of this wine. Try to seek out a 2002 vintage. Anything 2004 or younger needs to rest in the cellar... these wines do not drink well young.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:18 am

Alejandro Audisio wrote:

(bolding is mine).... Oswaldo, are we beating the dead horse again...??? :mrgreen:

Yes, Alejandro, I am raising, again, an issue that I consider important, that is insufficiently discussed, insufficiently admitted, whose effects on longevity are insufficiently known, and that may be a dead horse to you but is not to me and probably to the majority of board members. Is this something you are not comfortable with?
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:45 am

Oswaldo writes.....I am raising, again, an issue that I consider important, that is insufficiently discussed, insufficiently admitted, whose effects on longevity are insufficiently known, and that may be a dead horse to you but is not to me and probably to the majority of board members.

I think this is an important question and a valid statement. The more info we have here, the better we are for it. I like this discussion!
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:26 pm

The youthful, live-wire acidity of the '06 Finca Altamira was just one reason I felt that wine would eventually be head and shoulders above the crowd of some of the more fleshy and approachable wines it was paired against.

Most of the other wines came across as lower acidity offerings, though none were really goopy or syrupy to my palate. One notable exception might be the Mandel Malbec, which in retrospect fits the bill of Oswaldo's "acid is one room and the fruit in another" pretty aptly.

-Michael
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Buenos Aires, Argentina

by Alejandro Audisio » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:11 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:Yes, Alejandro, I am raising, again, an issue that I consider important, that is insufficiently discussed, insufficiently admitted, whose effects on longevity are insufficiently known, and that may be a dead horse to you but is not to me and probably to the majority of board members. Is this something you are not comfortable with?

Oswaldo.... coming from Brazil, I thought you had a sense of humour..... perhaps you failed to see the smilie at the end of my post above...??

What makes you think that Im not comfortable with this acidity issue... perhaps you can elaborate?

Ive been ITB for a few years now, and Ive been a drunk & wine collector since my mid 20ies, and the issue of acidulation as a technique has never really interested me... perhaps this is a fundamental flaw in my wine knowledge, but thats really what I think. For me, what matters is if a wine has the right acidity... and frankly, I dont give a hoot if its natural or man made... as long as I find that the acidity of the wine is in order, that does it for me. I dont see the point of beating the dead horse on the issue of "adding acidity", especially when you yourself are saying that effects are still unknown....

A wine needs balance in all things... and acidity is one of them. Unless there is an agenda behind those that insist on beating a dead horse.... I would really like to understand why the correction of acidity levels by a winemaker when he uses fruit from a Terroir that will naturally yield a given level of acidity seems to be portrayed as something "special" to have to watch.

Oswaldo, Im very sorry if my attempt at humour made you uncomfortable.....

Merry Xmas from Buenos Aires,
Alejandro
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:21 am

Alejandro Audisio wrote:
Oswaldo Costa wrote:Yes, Alejandro, I am raising, again, an issue that I consider important, that is insufficiently discussed, insufficiently admitted, whose effects on longevity are insufficiently known, and that may be a dead horse to you but is not to me and probably to the majority of board members. Is this something you are not comfortable with?

Oswaldo.... coming from Brazil, I thought you had a sense of humour..... perhaps you failed to see the smilie at the end of my post above...??

What makes you think that Im not comfortable with this acidity issue... perhaps you can elaborate?

Ive been ITB for a few years now, and Ive been a drunk & wine collector since my mid 20ies, and the issue of acidulation as a technique has never really interested me... perhaps this is a fundamental flaw in my wine knowledge, but thats really what I think. For me, what matters is if a wine has the right acidity... and frankly, I dont give a hoot if its natural or man made... as long as I find that the acidity of the wine is in order, that does it for me. I dont see the point of beating the dead horse on the issue of "adding acidity", especially when you yourself are saying that effects are still unknown....

A wine needs balance in all things... and acidity is one of them. Unless there is an agenda behind those that insist on beating a dead horse.... I would really like to understand why the correction of acidity levels by a winemaker when he uses fruit from a Terroir that will naturally yield a given level of acidity seems to be portrayed as something "special" to have to watch.

Oswaldo, Im very sorry if my attempt at humour made you uncomfortable.....

Merry Xmas from Buenos Aires,
Alejandro

Hi, Alejandro, talk of beating a dead horse, this seems like it's reviving something that was already dead...

Written words, without intonation and facial expression, can be misleading, but your comment seemed to me to be that of someone who is annoyed with the repeated mention of acidulation in Argentine wine. The smiley lightens it, but the irritation still seems to be there, and no amount of Brazilian humor on my side can take that away from me.

You may not care about the means as long as you find the ends in order, a perfectly sound position that perhaps should be my own as well. But I find that I do care about the means, perhaps because I suspect that certain practices - like picking grapes later, with higher sugar levels, resulting in wines with more alcohol and less acid, and that therefore require artificial correction - are a kind of Faustian pact to create wines that drink and sell better upfront in exchange for the kind of long-term complexity that we have come to love in European wine picked at lower sugar levels. I would agree that there is no way of knowing the long term effects of the supermaturation/acidulation model at this early point in the evolution of Argentine wine, particularly since this is a relatively recent trend even in Argentina, but it tends to be a law of nature that you can't get something for nothing. Acidulation is an interesting issue for me because it is the potential "mark of Cain" in this fairytale of plentiful sunshine and controlled irrigation. As a result, I will bring it up as many times as I think it interesting to do so. If this irritates you, I am very sorry, because I respect your breadth of knowledge and its progeny, the superb inventory of both kinds of Argentine wine that you have assembled in your store. On my side, I will continue to be irritated whenever you react to a comment of mine with what I perceive, rightly or wrongly, to be irritation, regardless of whenther there is a smiley at the end. I wish it weren't so, but perhaps that's another law of nature...

With kind regards, and best wishes for the coming year for you and your family!
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Buenos Aires, Argentina

by Alejandro Audisio » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:09 pm

Wow... this in indeed getting interesting.

So then picking late and ripe = making a pact with the Devil....

and

picking early and doing things like in the old world = VIP card to St. Peter´s Club....?

If you ask me, Im sure Goethe would have loved a glass of late picked Rolland Spoof Juice... :mrgreen:

My Dear Oswaldo, Im afraid that you are 100% wrong about my being annoyed or irritated by any of your comments. I dont share your passion for the Acidulation Crusade but... to each his own. Im just happy that I have the luxury of being independent, because I dont make wines, Im not a wine critic or a wine writer.. I simply sell them... and so I dont have the task of defending any producer or style... all I try to do is to be able explain why I like or dislike something that I may recommend... no matter if its ripe Argentine Malbec, or closet smelling claret, fruit bomb Ozzie Shiraz... or highly acidic Champagne.... (is this latter category a good choice to talk about acidity or what)?

Cheers,
AA
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:30 am

Alejandro Audisio wrote:My Dear Oswaldo, Im afraid that you are 100% wrong about my being annoyed or irritated by any of your comments.

Glad to hear that! If you'll indulge me one last story, after my last reply I remembered one of the things that raised my interest in the issue: at a tasting conducted by Laura Catena at a steak house here a few months ago in which some impressive wines from extremely high vineyards were served (I particularly liked the pinot noir and the syrah) she said a few words to the attendees, who were seated around a series of round tables, then was taken to each table by Ciro Lilla, our host and her importer. At each there was an exchange of pleasantries, then she moved on to the next. When she got to ours, I complimented her on her wines, and asked her if any acidulation had been necessary. Her expression, which up to that point had been genial and charming, suddenly went dark, and she somewhat gruffly said "all these vineyards are so high that we don't have to do that." The host immediately took her by the arm and shuttled her to the next table. It really appeared as if I had somehow been discourteous and accused her of something egregious, and gave me the impression that, at least in some quarters, this was something that people would rather not talk about. It was just one person and acidulation may very well be a non-issue, as you suggest, but Laura Catena's annoyance probably conditioned me to misinterpret your comment as something similar. But, as I said, I'm glad to hear you're neutral about the issue and it was just a misunderstanding.